Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Just heard that the Nets-Celtics trade is official.

Nets get- Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry

Celtics get- First rounders in 2014, 16, 18 plus Kris Humphries expiring, Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans, Reggie Evans, and some other dude.

Something may have changed since the last time I saw the deal, but supposedly all they were waiting on was KG to waive his no trade. Reports are that he now has done so.
    Really? 3 1st rounders for basically 3 way past their prime players that are just going to get worse and worse. If i was a Nets fan Id be pissed off

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Really? 3 1st rounders for basically 3 way past their prime players that are just going to get worse and worse. If i was a Nets fan Id be pissed off
    The Celtics also can trade picks with the Nets in 2017 if they have a better pick.

What the fuck Nets? Like seriously, holy hell is this a bad, bad trade. This is absolutely a win now, fuck the future move. KG, Pierce and Terry are all past their primes. They add leadership, moxy, and some talent, but can either of them be relied on for 100+ games? I know damn well KG can't. Three first rounders is freaking shocking. The Crash contract is pretty awful, but Evans makes pennies, Bogan's isn't under contract in 13-14, I don't even know who the hell Kris Joesph is, and Hump's expiring contract could have been a seriously valuable trade piece for a trade that actually makes the Nets better now and into the future. This is just a dumb trade that doesn't even come close to making the Nets a threat in the East. They certainly aren't better than Miami. They aren't going to be better than the Knicks especially with the addition of Hardaway Jr who is going to be great for them. The Bulls should absolutely be better than them. The Pacers should be better still. So grats Nets on being the 4th or 5th best team in the East next season when before this trade they were, oh ya, the 4th or 5th best team in the East next season...

But hot damn is this a quality move for the Celtics. They get Hump's expiring which is a freaking amazing trade chip, three first round picks, and all they have to do is pay Crash's salary for three years? Grats Celtics, after a week of shitty luck things are looking up. They effectively took on $3 million more in salary during the next three years (total, not per year) and in return received three 1sts and whatever they flip Hump for. Ainge dominated this freaking deal big time. So much better than Jordan and a 1st from the Clippers.

Edit: post 10,000

Edit 2: Congrats Pistons on the potential steal of the draft in Tony Mitchell in mid round 2. How the hell did that happen?
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-06-28 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    -snip-
    You really need to resume posting, conscript.

It's funny, I read your post, agreed with everything you said, and then, almost as if on queue, Sportscenter starts discussing the trade, and says the exact opposite: great trade for the Nets (they're a "legitimate contender" now, apparently), and it was a "horrible" trade for the Celtics. Lol.

Silly ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post

It's funny, I read your post, agreed with everything you said, and then, almost as if on queue, Sportscenter starts discussing the trade, and says the exact opposite: great trade for the Nets (they're a "legitimate contender" now, apparently), and it was a "horrible" trade for the Celtics. Lol.

Silly ESPN.
    Was bad for the Celtics in the sense that they threw away any hope of winning in the next 2-3 years, just won't happen. But they're clearly rebuilding anyway and probably had no hope against the Heat next season anyway, so I suppose it makes sense for them.

Was good for the Nets in the fact that they can actually win sometime in the next 2-3 seasons, whereas before they wouldn't have been to competitive. Seems like a win win, depending on how you look at it. Celtics seem like they can make a good run from like 2015-2018, Nets look like they could win the next couple seasons, depends if you're looking to win next year or not I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just heard that the Nets-Celtics trade is official.

Nets get- Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry

Celtics get- First rounders in 2014, 16, 18 plus Kris Humphries expiring, Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans, Reggie Evans, and some other dude.

Something may have changed since the last time I saw the deal, but supposedly all they were waiting on was KG to waive his no trade. Reports are that he now has done so.
    So, Pierce and Garnett will be retired by the time the Celtics get the last first round pick in the trade? Ok.....well, grats to the Celtics. They may have lost Doc, but they got a sweet deal for two players who are on their last leg. Seriously, nobody pays that much for people that old, no matter who it is, in any sport.

Silly ESPN.
    Yea i dont get ESPNs logic at all. This trade still doesnt push the Nets above the Heat, the Bulls, and probably the Pacers at least imo. They are sacrificing their entire future to win now and their win now team isnt all that great. Celtics did the right thing when trying to rebuild:

Get Young
    Get Picks
    Get Bad

And you will rebuild quickly assuming your team knows which players to take with its high picks

Wake up. Log in.

You guys are making fun of the Nets..

WELL NO MORE! I'm here to tell you that...fuck the future. Ring this year. Jason Terry is a worthless piece of shit but whatever. Nets giving away 3 picks and arpeggio Evans was fucking stupid though. 3 picks? 3? Jesus.

I wonder how the Nets are going to handle this financially lol. I guess Kris + Gerald leaving added some significant cap space. Plus owner will just throw out some more money as if no one gives a fuck.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nets have an all-star roster right now. KG,Peirce,Williams,Johnson,Lopez wth man Nets better at least win the east next year or its going to be considered a bust.

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate and defend the trade for a minute here. I also legitimately don't think it was an awful deal.

From the Nets side: They need to sell tickets and steal a bit of the spotlight from the Knicks. The owner guaranteed a championship in 5 years when he bought the team three years ago. He wants to win right now. KG and Pierce aren't as washed up as people think they are. If they coast through the regular season to keep the old guys healthy, I'd give them a puncher's chance against just about anybody in the playoffs. A starting five of Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Lopez, and KG looks pretty solid on paper.

From Boston's side: They are tanking for Wiggins. I wouldn't be surprised if they are telling Rondo to take his time coming back from his injury. Conscript mentioned something about flipping Humphries for someone good. I seriously doubt they will. I think they will just let his contract run out to clear salary off the books. They may take a run at one of the big name free agents next year. If they snag a lottery pick and another first rounder in next year's draft (generally considered to be super deep), and match those guys with a marquee free agent, then this rebuilding period could be shorter than we all think.

What I think you guys trumpeting this trade for Boston are forgetting is that the picks they get from Brooklyn aren't likely to be very high. They need to be really, really bad this year to get the most out of this, and I don't know if they are as putrid as, say, the Bobcats. The Nets are all in on the next two years though, and the crazy Russian owner doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about the luxury tax, so we might be seeing even more moves from Brooklyn before the season starts up again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I'll play devil's advocate and defend the trade for a minute here. I also legitimately don't think it was an awful deal.

From the Nets side: They need to sell tickets and steal a bit of the spotlight from the Knicks. The owner guaranteed a championship in 5 years when he bought the team three years ago. He wants to win right now. KG and Pierce aren't as washed up as people think they are. If they coast through the regular season to keep the old guys healthy, I'd give them a puncher's chance against just about anybody in the playoffs. A starting five of Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Lopez, and KG looks pretty solid on paper.

From Boston's side: They are tanking for Wiggins. I wouldn't be surprised if they are telling Rondo to take his time coming back from his injury. Conscript mentioned something about flipping Humphries for someone good. I seriously doubt they will. I think they will just let his contract run out to clear salary off the books. They may take a run at one of the big name free agents next year. If they snag a lottery pick and another first rounder in next year's draft (generally considered to be super deep), and match those guys with a marquee free agent, then this rebuilding period could be shorter than we all think.

What I think you guys trumpeting this trade for Boston are forgetting is that the picks they get from Brooklyn aren't likely to be very high. They need to be really, really bad this year to get the most out of this, and I don't know if they are as putrid as, say, the Bobcats. The Nets are all in on the next two years though, and the crazy Russian owner doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about the luxury tax, so we might be seeing even more moves from Brooklyn before the season starts up again.
    They can definitely be worse than the Cats. Zeller is totally going to make them a legit 23 win team. If the C's move Rondo, which there is a ton of support to go for from Detroit fans, that team is going to be so incredibly awful. If the C's can trade that Hump chip at the trade deadline for some tanking team's best player who could be a legit 2nd or 3rd banana on a great team, they will have a good piece, a decent chance at Wiggins, and mad cap space to chase a big name FA or two next year. Or hell they could just take that $10 million or whatever and not trade it and just use that space to go after even more free agents next year.

As far as the Nets go, defensively they will be way better with KG actually providing interior defense. They are going to need some solid depth though to allow them to get solid playoff seating and to take minutes away from KG and Pierce so they can stay healthy. They will add a couple more pieces in free agency I'm sure, maybe some decent veterans on minimum contracts. Who knows if the Pacers will keep improving, who knows what the Bulls lineup will even look like at that point, hell who knows if the Heat will still be the same.

The Nets are rumored to be going after Jason Collins once free agency starts. Solid vet that can give you defense and rebounding off the bench. They get him, they really only need a decent wing shooter on the cheap, and I'm sure there's someone out there.

As far as the Bulls go, it's hard to say how good they'll be. Is Rose going to look like Adrian Peterson after his knee injury or Terrell Davis? I said before, I think that team gained a lot of confidence playing as well as they did without their stars. They still need Rose to be Rose or they aren't going anywhere.

I think the Heat are going to largely stay put. They probably amnesty Mike Miller, but unless people retire I think the team remains the same. Ray Allen already exercised his player option for next year. It could be a disaster, but they just won two in a row so I can't really complain.

So where do y'all think Howard is going? Houston? Mavs? Somewhere else? Remains at Lakers? I'm curious.

So where do y'all think Howard is going? Houston? Mavs? Somewhere else? Remains at Lakers? I'm curious.
    Supposedly zero chance he stays with the Lakers. He wants to play with Chris Paul, but the Clips can't afford him without a sign and trade and I doubt the Lakers will help Dwight at all. He's supposed to be meeting with people from Houston and Dallas next week when free agency officially opens. I think Houston makes the most sense. That team, with a healthy and committed Howard (which is a big question with him), should challenge San Antonio and OKC at the top of the West.

In other free agent news, Paul's agent told the rest of the league not to bother, he is staying put. Guess that Doc Rivers signing paid off.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not LA, either team, for sure. Clips would need to do some serious trading or some shit to open up cap space and there is zero chance he stays in LA which is going to be a complete mess next year thanks to some guy named Kobe making $30 million freaking dollars devouring their cap space. Not that they could do much even if he was the normal max salary. I don't think Atlanta ever really had a chance in this. The whole hometown thing has never been a selling point for Howard apparently.

So it is probably Mavs or Rockets. Rockets are in a better situation to win now and in the future. Harden and Howard is a solid star core. Houston could be a very, very solid team and compete to come out of the West. Mavs have an aging Dirk and... They have a ton of cap space going forward and could build basically whatever they want, have an owner who will spend what it takes, great coach, recent championship history. I'd bet on Houston, but its Howard so who the hell knows. It could end up being a complete wild card team.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-06-30 at 11:09 PM.

I think the Heat are going to largely stay put. They probably amnesty Mike Miller, but unless people retire I think the team remains the same. Ray Allen already exercised his player option for next year. It could be a disaster, but they just won two in a row so I can't really complain.
    I've heard Pat Riley won't (likely) be using the amnesty provision.

They've also picked up Myck Kabongo, James Ennis and DJ Stephens for summer training camp and have been in discussions with Greg Oden. Should be interesting to see who gets the last spot assuming Birdman signs back on.

Free chicken fingers for life if Dwight signs in Dallas. I think we all know where he's going to end up.

It'd be retarded for him not to go to Houston....

....unless Mavs get Rondo like they want. Dirk, Rondo, Dwight? I'd be pretty scared lol.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 12:57 AM ----------

Guys, why can't my home team be a contender and knock these smug heat off their throne?

I hope Nets make it to East Conf Finals.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 01:46 AM ----------

Knicks get Andrea Bargani. Whatever.

???

Did we discuss how CP3 verbally agreed to resign with Clips $107m 5 years? Looks like he isn't getting a ring anytime soon lol.

Maybe Im in the minority but if Dwight goes to Houston I dont even think they will be that good. Asik basically does the same role Howard does, 2 huge guys that mostly just rebound/block and couldnt hit an open 10 foot jumper to save their lives doesnt seem like a good mix. Plus I never bought into Linsanity, hes a solid player at best not going to be worth the 14 million they owe him next year. They also play a up and down style which Dwight already publicly said he doesnt like.

Thing with Dallas is they have literally no money locked up next season. None. So they could potentially sign whoever the hell they wanted their cap room is completely free and Dirk already said he would come back for much much less money. So one could argue their future could be brighter, but then again they could miss on everyone they wanted and end up with a mediocre team. Who knows. He could bring his talents to South Beach to troll everyone.

Omg Jib is up. Hi Jib!

Nah I don't think Houston would be an instant contender either, but it's definitely the best option for Dwight. He's got a top 10 superstar in James Harden and the team is young so there's a lot of potential for a ring in the future. Although, yes, they still need a few more pieces to actually be able to win a ring, but to even be able to make the playoffs with one player was saying a lot (for the West).

Dallas not having money locked up doesn't mean too much...the situation is similar but who is to say who Dallas will be able to get in future years as well as the decline of Dirk's health in that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Maybe Im in the minority but if Dwight goes to Houston I dont even think they will be that good. Asik basically does the same role Howard does, 2 huge guys that mostly just rebound/block and couldnt hit an open 10 foot jumper to save their lives doesnt seem like a good mix. Plus I never bought into Linsanity, hes a solid player at best not going to be worth the 14 million they owe him next year. They also play a up and down style which Dwight already publicly said he doesnt like.

Thing with Dallas is they have literally no money locked up next season. None. So they could potentially sign whoever the hell they wanted their cap room is completely free and Dirk already said he would come back for much much less money. So one could argue their future could be brighter, but then again they could miss on everyone they wanted and end up with a mediocre team. Who knows. He could bring his talents to South Beach to troll everyone.
    Dirk must really love being in Dallas, because he's the best player right now to not be on a competing team.