Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] HBO or Showtime should do Star Trek

It's been a while since there was a star trek series on the air. I think it would be very interesting to see what a channel with as much money as HBO or Showtime could do with the series. Virtually all of the shows on the two channels are spectacular. With money for writing, actors, and special effects I think either of the channels would handle the show quite well.

I also think it would be interesting if the captain of this show wasn't as morally "perfect" as the captains of the previous installments. Not a bad person, but one that needs to be put in check by the first officer every once in a while. Maybe he/she could be having an inappropriate relationship with one of the crew members or something. I think it would open up a lot of space for dynamic character development if the main character were to be someone that the viewer always roots for, but one that also slips up from time to time (Kind of like Hank Moody in Californication). And on an aside note, I think its time for a non-human captain.

The show should follow the same star trek "formula" as the other installments. Stand alone episodes with certain plots that run throughout the series.

Short answer - No
    Long answer- No.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Short answer - No
    Long answer- No.
    Care to explain? There's bound to be another series someday. Why not give it to a channel with the money for better writing, acting and (least importantly) special effects?

Paramount and CBS own Star Trek, and with their movie franchise going full swing, I doubt they will sell the rights within the next 10 years.

Paramount and CBS own Star Trek, and with their movie franchise going full swing, I doubt they will sell the rights within the next 10 years.
    It probably won't happen, your right. But it would be nice to see the show get a proper television reboot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

That being said, i'm ready for some post Braga and Berman star trek TV. While they did great things for the series, they started to get stale at the end. Also, after what they did with the series finale of Enterprise, they need to stay away.

Next Star Trek idea....

A Borg captain
    Mission: to let everybody enjoy the clarity of the collective

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with this. Paramounts already making it's nut on the franchise. There's no need for them to do anything else with it at this time. I would expect after the 2013 film, they try to do another flick but maybe Abrams isn't involved, it doesn't do as well, they sit for a few years and come out with something new. 2020ish

Fuzzie has a point. Too bad that they don't reshow the voyager/ ds9/ tng series on TV though . . . I could be wrong.

and honeslty star trek isn't about a premium cable show its all about having a good show runner and someone with a good vision to reinvent the series... Seth mcfarlane ( i know it seems funny to consider him) has shown intereste recently in reviving it, for those doubting him hes one of the biggest trekies out there hehe. also personally i would love to see ronald d moore come back to trek and blow my mind again, like he did for TNG and DS9

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medviah View Post
    Fuzzie has a point. Too bad that they don't reshow the voyager/ ds9/ tng series on TV though . . . I could be wrong.
    Depends where you are. They have re-runs of it all year long on Space in Canada.

I think it would be great if there was a new star trek show on TV, with the current movie cast but doubt that would happen.

Deleted
    I would rather se HBO do a show about LV-426 i think.

I can't imagine anything they could do in a series that I wouldn't rather see in a movie instead...

Except maybe that Borg captain idea, I'm being 100% serious too.

I wouldn't mind seeing Firefly re-envisioned and continued on HBO or somesuch though.

I wouldn't mind the current cast of the movie in a tv show.

Now Firefly. That would be AMAZING. It'd be the best of every world. Firefly on HBO or Showtime... Probably HBO, they do more fantasy stuff than Showtime.
    And with all the historical dramas on Starz, they could reboot......... iono.... But I would like to see more Spartacus as a gladiator rather than go with the slave rebellion thing. Hopefully they don't take out the gladiator part of Spartacus.

Deleted
    Honestly, I don't see much room for another incarnation of a Star Trek show in current TV.

Star Treks Utopian setting just doesn't mesh well with the current Zeitgeist. I also feel the Star Trek universe has been overanalized and overmilked by the vast number of shows, seasons and spin-offs.

Creating an interesting new Star Trek show would almost require a clean slate. And then you might as well just write a new show.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Honestly, I don't see much room for another incarnation of a Star Trek show in current TV.

Star Treks Utopian setting just doesn't mesh well with the current Zeitgeist. I also feel the Star Trek universe has been overanalized and overmilked by the vast number of shows, seasons and spin-offs.

Creating an interesting new Star Trek show would almost require a clean slate. And then you might as well just write a new show.

Reboot Firefly on HBO!!!!!
    I'm thinking there should be a petition for this...

I would rather we stop urging filmmakers to remake old franchises and make some new content. Let go of your nostalgia please.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Star Treks Utopian setting just doesn't mesh well with the current Zeitgeist.
    Sadly, I think you're right. Star Trek is a show about intelligent, disciplined, cooperative individuals. Not one of those characteristics gets much representation in the media these days. Instead, TV is populated by cynical cutthroats for whom ignorance is a badge of honor.

I would quite like a show around the time ship Equinox (the one that recruited Seven to prevent Voyagers destruction).

It wouldn't necessarily need to have a large and diverse crew but could work around the premise of going to fix temperal incursion. Either with a new crew or recruiting old characters from any of the series.