Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Tip..Grunge will make its comeback next year

Radiohead is Touring

Soundgarden is coming to Australia next year

I dig Alice in Chains & so do lots of other people

Foo Fighters sold out an Australian Football stadium in Sydney this week
    & Dave Grohl is a Champion.

World Economy is going abit sour next year & no one wants to listen to Lyrics about
    how many gold Chains I can put round my neck..

Or how many Mercs' & pussy I am getting

Bling will be a turnoff

GRUNGE WAHOO..GO SEATTLE

you heard it here first folks

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I heard Cobain decided to... Oh wait... :P

Really tho, you can't just predict things like that. Too big factors are involved...(around 7 billion)

Radiohead doesn't count, they don't play guitars anymore, they just crank out godawful electronoise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also because hipsters are dirty and wear flannel, and also have a bad taste in music.

15+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt it. Kids aren't going to rebel by listening to music their parents like.

Actually it already kinda has, all that chill wave shit...

Old bands becoming popular again doesn't signal the complete revival of a genre. If Grunge was to make a comeback, it would need some new blood.
    Looking at Rock Music today, "New Grunge" could actually have some footing.
    Just look at what happened to radio Rock, bands started copying the premeir Nu-Metal and Alt-Rock bands, and then bands started copying those bands, and then more bands started to copy THOSE bands, and now it's just generic, overproduced radio filler about parties and girls and such.

But I digress.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

God I wish was a teen when grunge was in full swing.

What? Right off the bat, I wouldn't call Radiohead or Foo Fighters in their current incarnations grunge at all. And a bevy of old bands touring does not a major musical genre comeback make. It's wishful thinking at best.

I fully expect next year's popular music will be littered with pop, anthems, easy listening and party rap once again. And again, if you want to listen to anything decent, you'll have to search harder beyond the top 40s of the world.

I'm actually predicting next year to be huge in folk. With Little Lion Man(Okay, they're called Mumford and Sons but that song is the only thing people know about them anyways) having massive mainstream success, Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes also seeing some decent mainstream attention as well, I see this trend going places.

I'm not going to speculate much on bad music that's inevitably going to be popular, but fully expect the horrible style of LMFAO to be more prominent.

If we're gonna be making predictions bad, I call R&B making a bigger splash this year. We've already seen it with the contemporary hip hop fusion stuff like The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Plan B, R.Kelly, The Dream and Janelle (even the new Drake), and bits and pieces here and there in other genres with artists like Jamie Woon, The xx, and How to Dress Well.

Also, I agree with you indirectly; folk might be more popular, but I think in the singer/songwriter vein and less bluegrass/roots stuff.

Deleted
    Waiting for the Nirvana comeback, huh

grunge made a come back in the early 2000s already, they classified it as "alternative rock"

Also, since when was Foo Fighters grunge? Just because Dave Grohl was in Nirvana doesn't mean he has the same musical style/heroin induced lyrical style as Kurt Cobain.

The main rock radio station in Houston, where I live, plays a LOT of grunge. It's always Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots.. and so on. Grunge never really left, it's just not a HUGE scene like it was back then. It's something acceptable that teenagers and adults both listen to.
    (Funny enough, that was rebellious in the early 90s, now it's acceptable, how silly.)

Edit:
    By grunge already made a come back, I'm talking about bands such as Puddle of Mudd, Smile Empty Soul, Seether, and so on. They're classified as alternative rock now, but they really came off as grunge to me back then and now. The lyrical content may not be 100% the same as Nirvana, but it's similar to the grunge era, the music behind it is similar.
    Last edited by Demonakat; 2011-12-10 at 08:27 AM.

I'm a huge fan of Alice of Chains, but only with Layne Staley as the singer. Their new singer and style is so horrible compared to their old stuff. They had a concert fairly recently just 2 miles away from my house but I refused to go just because I don't like how they sound now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Radiohead is grunge?

Man, I guess I really don't know what the hell makes grunge then.

Pearl Jam is still going strong.

They were one of the originators of the sound, and some of its members were around even earlier. (long before Nirvana got together)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titheon View Post
    Pearl Jam is still going strong.

They were one of the originators of the sound, and some of its members were around even earlier. (long before Nirvana got together)
    Two of their members were part of Temple of the Dog, which I believe was the first real grunge band. It was a tribute band, and when they split they formed most of the popular grunge bands we know.

However, Foo fighters isn't grunge, as awesome as they are, and I don't think grunge can really make a comeback. Even if it does, the sound will be different.

From what a stoopid Aussie believes

Mudhoney where the first Grunge band

Then came Chris Cornell & Soundgarden

Nirvana came along later & where fans of Soundgarden

Hence Dave Grohl (Rock God), at a Soundgarden gig in L.A

---------- Post added 2011-12-10 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Alice of Chains, but only with Layne Staley as the singer. Their new singer and style is so horrible compared to their old stuff. They had a concert fairly recently just 2 miles away from my house but I refused to go just because I don't like how they sound now.
    Oh Man A..Alice in Chains ..Yeah..I love that dirty base..sound
    God Bless have a Happy Christmas

Deleted
    Radiohead and Foo Fighters are NOT grunge!!