Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SWTOR: Game Play Tips

Compiled list

1- When questing if you look at the map you will see green arrow pointing to the location where you need to go.
    2- Pressing the Space bar will skip dialog
    3- Quest in a group even if you are not physically questing together, i.e. one of you could be on Tython and the other on Ord Mantle but you are still grouped; this will get you bonus exp.
    4- Make sure you discover all the taxie hubs and HS points as you go along, sorry i can't remember the name of it so i called it a HS :P
    5- In a FP always make sure your group is full on hp before you go all rambo and die on the next group
    6- make sure you are happy with your AC class because you can't change it so check the previews of the talents etc.
    7- If you want to have a lot of credits avoid waisting them on medpacs and stims when you level.
    8- Don't skip quests or you will reach a planet and 2-3 levels lower and it will make it difficult.
    map would bug out alot in beta and would remove all the icons on your map making it hard to tell where to go next.....ppl would log out to fix this ........all u have to do is use quick travel but dont pick a location just cancel using it and this will put all icons back on the map
    9- interface sometimes bugs and wont let u click on buttons or accept/turn in quests .......hold Ctrl then press U twice this reloads your UI
    10-You can use the keys 1, 2, and 3 to quickly pick dialogue options.
    11- When mousing over the dialogue options the icon attached to them will change to the Dark Side/Light Side icon if you get DS/LS points for them.
    12- You can learn new ranks of your abilities every level.
    13- You get your first companion by following the main quest at around L. 8-10. You cannot miss him/her, and you cannot leave the starter planet without him/her.
    14- Right-clicking a target automatically tries to activate the skill in the first slot of your primary action bar.
    15- Don't ask a question about a mission until you have read all the details in your Log and then looked at the map. 98% of all mission/quest-related questions can be completed by reading what you already have access to.
    16- If you invite someone to your group and they decline...sending 5 more invites isn't going to change the response. Sometimes people just want to be left alone.
    17- This next one is going to be hard for some people to follow: Don't talk about WoW incessantly in chat. If WoW is so awesome then go back and play it.
    18- When you hit level 10 and are off your starting planet you will find your class trainer. There is a little tab at the bottom of the trainer interface for your Advanced Class skills. Lost count of how many times people asked where the AC was.
    19- The need and the Greed options on group loot rolls are for YOUR character only - not your companions, your alts, or your best friend. A Sith Inq rolling against a Sith Warrior for a piece of heavy armor needs to die a slow, painful death (virtual of course).
    20- DPS classes are not completely free from responsibility in a group:
    21- Tab-targeting a whole new cluster of mobs before the first fight is over is stupid so don't do it.
    22- Watch your healer and pull mobs off them if necessary.
    23- Sometimes more DPS is actually a bad thing....learn to let the tank get some agro. Tanks are typically better equipped to take the damage and the healer is set up to heal them - not the three spastic DPS monkeys that zerg everything.
    24- Don't assume that because someone is dressed like a tank or a healer that they have built their character to fill that roll. However, if you are healer or tank spec, don't get upset when expected to heal/tank.
    25- Most important tip: have some damn fun. This is not a race. If you feel you must race to 50 on the first weekend don't turn around and complain that there aren't enough people around for heroics.
    26- Don't stress out too much about the perfect build or the best ability rotations. It won't be long before the min/max crowd has dissected the game and turned it into one single macro that you must follow or risk being laughed off the planet.
    27- Tired of doing "trash" quest or low on money. Do some PVP. Matches are fairly quick and xp + credit gain = several quest. I got through Nar Shaada this way and passed a lot of people who got on the planet at the same time I did.
    28- Turn on Auto Loot+ Area loot. Area Loot has a fairly large radius.
    29- The ship droid is a companion too.
    30- Dying is a fast way to turn in quest.
    31- Dialog options do matter. You can gain extra credits depending on your dialog options
    32- You can "unlock" you camera in options. The default option doesn't let you zoom out that far.
    33- Place any and all passive/OOC skills on your sidebars, the middle bars can fill up fairly quickly depending on your class.
    34- Don't let a Shadow/Assassin sit behind you in PVP .
    35- Save your knockbacks in Huttball to knock ball carriers off of catwalks.
    36- Enable vendor tracking on your map/minimap, you will be surprised.
    37- Always have your companions doing something. In town or a FP? Send them on missions. Running back to town? Send them on missions/sell items. Remember it does cost credits to send you companions on missions.
    38- Remember to take your mods out of your gear.
    39- You can turn off the ability to see if your dialog choice will reward light or dark points.
    40- You can escape out of dialog to dismiss your companion or re-choose the conversation options to fit to your wanted affinity gain.
    41-You can dismiss your companion if it is at low health and then resummon it. It will be at full health.
    42-Trainers on Coruscant are in the Senate District West side "mall" (saw this question every two seconds in beta).
    Last edited by goblinator; 2011-12-11 at 02:14 AM.

1. Quest in a group even if you are not physically questing together, i.e. one of you could be on Tython and the other on Ord Mantle but you are still grouped; this will get you bonus exp.

Deleted
    3. Make sure you discover all the taxie hubs and HS points as you go along, sorry i can't remember the name of it so i called it a HS :P
    4. In a FP always make sure your group is full on hp before you go all rambo and die on the next group
    5. make sure you are happy with your AC class because you can't change it so check the previews of the talents etc.
    6. If you want to have a lot of credits avoid waisting them on medpacs and stims when you level.
    7. Don't skip quests or you will reach a planet and 2-3 levels lower and it will make it difficult.

hope those are ok
    It sure is hard to think of them all of a sudden

map would bug out alot in beta and would remove all the icons on your map making it hard to tell where to go next.....ppl would log out to fix this ........all u have to do is use quick travel but dont pick a location just cancel using it and this will put all icons back on the map

Also interface sometimes bugs and wont let u click on buttons or accept/turn in quests .......hold Ctrl then press U twice this reloads your UI

Deleted
    You can use the keys 1, 2, and 3 to quickly pick dialogue options.

When mousing over the dialogue options the icon attached to them will change to the Dark Side/Light Side icon if you get DS/LS points for them.

You can learn new ranks of your abilities every level.

You get your first companion by following the main quest at around L. 8-10. You cannot miss him/her, and you cannot leave the starter planet without him/her.

Right-clicking a target automatically tries to activate the skill in the first slot of your primary action bar.

Here are a few random pet peeves of mine from just one beta weekend. I am sure I will have a longer list once the game is live.

1. Don't ask a question about a mission until you have read all the details in your Log and then looked at the map. 98% of all mission/quest-related questions can be completed by reading what you already have access to.
    2. If you invite someone to your group and they decline...sending 5 more invites isn't going to change the response. Sometimes people just want to be left alone.
    3. This next one is going to be hard for some people to follow: Don't talk about WoW incessantly in chat. If WoW is so awesome then go back and play it.
    4. When you hit level 10 and are off your starting planet you will find your class trainer. There is a little tab at the bottom of the trainer interface for your Advanced Class skills. Lost count of how many times people asked where the AC was.
    5. The need and the Greed options on group loot rolls are for YOUR character only - not your companions, your alts, or your best friend. A Sith Inq rolling against a Sith Warrior for a piece of heavy armor needs to die a slow, painful death (virtual of course).
    6. DPS classes are not completely free from responsibility in a group:
    6.1 Tab-targeting a whole new cluster of mobs before the first fight is over is stupid so don't do it.
    6.2 Watch your healer and pull mobs off them if necessary.
    6.3 Sometimes more DPS is actually a bad thing....learn to let the tank get some agro. Tanks are typically better equipped to take the damage and the healer is set up to heal them - not the three spastic DPS monkeys that zerg everything.
    7. Don't assume that because someone is dressed like a tank or a healer that they have built their character to fill that roll. However, if you are healer or tank spec, don't get upset when expected to heal/tank.
    8. Most important tip: have some damn fun. This is not a race. If you feel you must race to 50 on the first weekend don't turn around and complain that there aren't enough people around for heroics.

Bonus: Don't stress out too much about the perfect build or the best ability rotations. It won't be long before the min/max crowd has dissected the game and turned it into one single macro that you must follow or risk being laughed off the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Tired of doing "trash" quest or low on money. Do some PVP. Matches are fairly quick and xp + credit gain = several quest. I got through Nar Shaada this way and passed a lot of people who got on the planet at the same time I did.

2. Turn on Auto Loot+ Area loot. Area Loot has a fairly large radius.

3. The ship droid is a companion too.

4. Dying is a fast way to turn in quest.

5. Dialog options do matter. You can gain extra credits depending on your dialog options

6. You can "unlock" you camera in options. The default option doesn't let you zoom out that far.

7. Place any and all passive/OOC skills on your sidebars, the middle bars can fill up fairly quickly depending on your class.

8. Don't let a Shadow/Assassin sit behind you in PVP .

9. Save your knockbacks in Huttball to knock ball carriers off of catwalks.

10. Enable vendor tracking on your map/minimap, you will be surprised.

11. Always have your companions doing something. In town or a FP? Send them on missions. Running back to town? Send them on missions/sell items. Remember it does cost credits to send you companions on missions.

12. REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR MODS OUT OF YOUR GEAR!

You can turn off the ability to see if your dialog choice will reward light or dark points.

You can escape out of dialog to dismiss your companion or re-choose the conversation options to fit to your wanted affinity gain.

You can dismiss your companion if it is at low health and then resummon it. It will be at full health.

Trainers on Coruscant are in the Senate District West side "mall" (saw this question every two seconds in beta).

This isn't wow. If you're grouped with a tank, don't rush and attack 2 seconds after a pull. Allow them some time to gain threat. Furthermore, this isn't WotLK - don't AOE right after a pull, try some single target dps AND target what the tank has targeted.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Don't skip all quest dialog and then complain about how the game is too fast when you hit 50 in a week.

2. Don't rage at your group members in a flashpoint when they want to watch the cutscenes. If you've already done them, good, but maybe they haven't.

3. Do not roll need on armor that has a stat that isn't your class's primary stat. For example don't roll on strength heavy armor as a Bounty Hunter just because you can use Heavy Armor. You need Aim. And no, I don't care how many mod slots it has. Let the Juggernaut have it. You can mod vendor gear.

4. Tanks only generate 50% additional threat in this. This is not faceroll WoW, where tanks generate literally 500% additional threat. Have some consideration if you're a dps.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Malgo View Post
    3. Make sure you discover all the taxie hubs and HS points as you go along, sorry i can't remember the name of it so i called it a HS :P
    Pro Tip: I learnt the hard way, the "HS points" are not like WoW, you don't only have one at a time, you can "hearth" to any of the ones you have discovered. So "Collect the all!!".

If you're still on the starter world, don't complain about not getting heals when you decide to rambo the group quest mobs. The healing spells are tied to Advance classes and not available untill you get an advanced class.

Played a Smuggler and decided to keep running through the heroic quests cause it was possible (not sure if that was a a bug or not but it was fun) and some of the people I grouped with assumed I could heal for some reason.... I never saw a heal ability untill leaving the planet and choosing my advance class.

If you want to see what other conversation choices do, or you got - affection gain with your companion that you don't want, press ESC to cancel the conversation and start again.

Don't blow all your money on crafting and missions, the lv 25 riding skill costs 40k credits (+ 8k for mount if you don't have DDE or CE) and you'll be seriously kicking yourself in you end up on Tatooine without it.

You queue up for pvp from the minimap, you can do it while questing and I highly recommend it for the added xp and credits.

Don't go straight to Coruscant / Dromun Kaas after the starting planet, go to the faction's fleet and pick up gathering skills and your AC, discovering them gives you a lot of exp. I also recommend doing the first flashpoint before going to your capital, it's an easy but fun distraction and you get a nice amount of exp for it. Don't stand in the red stuff.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

After going to the fleet you gain an ability called EMERGENCY FLEET PASS. This is found in your "spellbook" under the general tab. It transports you to the fleet and has a 30 min CD not linked to your Quick Travel.

Deleted
    Don't go straight to Coruscant / Dromun Kaas after the starting planet, go to the faction's fleet and pick up gathering skills and your AC, discovering them gives you a lot of exp. I also recommend doing the first flashpoint before going to your capital, it's an easy but fun distraction and you get a nice amount of exp for it. Don't stand in the red stuff.
    While you are at the fleet it would be worth doing the 2-3 warzone quests, it's alot of experience.

When you get your ship you should have 3-4 space missions, even with no mods you should be able to do them all including 1/2 red missions, 3-4 space missions is nearly 1 full level if i remember correctly. When you complete these you unlock the space mission dailies but the exp is not that good

Deleted
    edit - was already mentioned
    Last edited by mmoc36b6ef5d75; 2011-12-10 at 10:28 PM.

Deleted
    make sure you click on the quicktravel droid every quest hub you visit(like getting flight paths in WoW)
    So you don't waste time running all the way back. You can use quicktravel with a 30min cooldown without the NPC.
    Thats already been mentioned

After going to the fleet you gain an ability called EMERGENCY FLEET PASS. This is found in your "spellbook" under the general tab. It transports you to the fleet and has a 30 min CD not linked to your Quick Travel
    I never noticed this, will your ship magically appear at the fleet or have you got to take a shuttle to the planet you leged it from?

Im going to repeat this because it bares repeating and might save a few people the time of asking it in general -

YOUR CLASS TRAINER ON CORUSCANT IS AT THE SENATE WEST SIDE HALL.

there will still be thousands of people asking that question on Coruscant.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgo View Post
    I never noticed this, will your ship magically appear at the fleet or have you got to take a shuttle to the planet you leged it from?
    Yes, your ship will appear in the hangar. Tested it myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    If you're still on the starter world, don't complain about not getting heals when you decide to rambo the group quest mobs. The healing spells are tied to Advance classes and not available untill you get an advanced class.

Played a Smuggler and decided to keep running through the heroic quests cause it was possible (not sure if that was a a bug or not but it was fun) and some of the people I grouped with assumed I could heal for some reason.... I never saw a heal ability untill leaving the planet and choosing my advance class.
    First companion + a level or two is usually enough to solo the heroic quests on the first world.

As others said - dialogue matters since it depends on the reaction the npc will give you, and also the reaction your companion will give you. Fx. Qyzen (typo I´m sure) would kick your ass for saying nice things about the guy who.... did things to him.

You can easily see wether you get light side or dark side points for a reply - there may be more than one answer that fits either. Without looking - Light side usually means saying "yes" to your masters and dark side means being destructive and lying (du´h).

Obvious tip: on looting - light blue/white = trash, yellow = quest item, Green = well, green item and so on. No light = NO LOOT.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    Obvious tip: on looting - light blue/white = trash, yellow = quest item, Green = well, green item and so on. No light = NO LOOT.
    You forgot dem purplz.

not sure if its still this way, but in the beta there was a time when we realized that if you skip all side quests and complete your class quest without doing anything else, you get a massive xp increase for going back and doing the side quests.