Poll: Should LFD be in SWTOR?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I think this is known as standing around the terminal on the fleet that your flashpoint's mission is launched from and trying to join up with anyone else that shows up >.>
    Yes but I would like to do other things then just stand around the terminal, IE Visit the AH, Train, etc.

It's funny, one of the main reasons they don't want a LFD is to prevent ppl from idling around while LFG, yet people still do.

though its a nice feature, look what it has done to wow, and its community. plz bioware, learn from blizz's mistakes

Deleted
    I read through the comments and though i understand them i also wonder how many here actually played WoW in vanilla.

I started playing WoW on a US server (Gorefiend) the day it came out on the market. I found myself in one of the top guilds on that server and i remember Warsong Gulch being the very first PvP zone that was released. Of course everyone wanted to try it out and groups where different. A month later though the group became quite a bit smaller, which will also happen for PvE dungeons once people don't need gear for it anymore, because people get tired from it. In the end i was in one of the groups that never really lost a game which resulted in the opposing team not even trying to defeat us and letting us win quickly instead.. thus the fun was pretty much gone aside from the one new player who's never seen us before.

The exact same thing happened to dungeons. Of course healers/tanks in the guild where helpful when they had the time but finding a random individual was often hard not to mention the sad times when you ended up with either an under geared tank/healer or one that didn't know how to play properly. Especially when that certain instance doesn't drop anything half decent for that class. Now i remember running a Flash Point where only heavy healer armor dropped, over and over again... could the same thing be happening ?

I agree that cross-server instances aren't great for a community, but a server based LFD would be great to make searches easier instead of having to spam a channel for 30 minutes or whispering every single healer (herp derp /who priest 60) to ask if they're interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it just gets me the group, fine. But really, I don't want it to port me to the FP or give me a buff or even give me extra badges or honour points or whatever, don't even make it cross server. It only needs to find me a group, but personally, I prefer to do general chat, makes the world much more personal and alive. LFD destroyed the idea of server reputability and also destroyed the fun in making a group.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    no problems with it and a welcome thing, so long as it is NOT cross server.

Only if it's an extremely limited version of WoW's LFD:

- No teleport.
    - No cross-server.
    - No automatic groups.

I love Aion Online's version of the LFD system. You click on LFD, select an instance from the drop down menu, press Search for Group, and your name will come up on a list. That way people can invite you to a group and you can invite other people who is on that list to do the specific instance. It won't teleport you to the instance, it's not cross-server, and you select who you want in your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    Yes but I would like to do other things then just stand around the terminal, IE Visit the AH, Train, etc.

It's funny, one of the main reasons they don't want a LFD is to prevent ppl from idling around while LFG, yet people still do.
    Not nearly as much without the LFD teleport system. Right now, I bet maybe 10-15% of the people making alts, actually go out questing beyond lvl 15. The remaining 85-90% all stand in SW/Org, next to the bank and AH, and just queue up.

And just because the FPs that comes out at launch are at a station, doesn't mean the other ones post-launch will be there. In Aion I love slapping my name up on the LFD list, find a group in 15-20 min (maybe more), run through the massive world to get to the instance and get to know the other people around my level. That is exactly what I want SWTOR to remain, no matter what.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2011-12-11 at 02:57 AM.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    Only if it's an extremely limited version of WoW's LFD:

- No teleport.
    - No cross-server.
    - No automatic groups.

I love Aion Online's version of the LFD system. You click on LFD, select an instance from the drop down menu, press Search for Group, and your name will come up on a list. That way people can invite you to a group and you can invite other people who is on that list to do the specific instance. It won't teleport you to the instance, it's not cross-server, and you select who you want in your group.
    many of the dungeons is in the space ship base so a teleport would actually make it posible for people to be out in the world and do stuff while waiting instead of standing around the dungeon consoles

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say a VERY VERY conditional yes.

There should be a LFD tool, it should never EVER be X-server.

It must never EVER be a 'RDF' type tool, you should be able to go in, queue for a specific dungeon, and be matched with others searching for the same place.

It must never EVER be a teleporter, like the current LFD tool, BW have done such a fantastic job making the worlds awesome, if you want to go to a dungeon, put in the effort and GO there. Espeically considering most of the dungeons are reached from the space stations....

Finally and most importantly of all there must never EVER EVER EVER be a 'reward' for finishing the dungeon that is better than stuff you get from the actual dungeons, like in WoW, the dungeons drop Justice, but you get Valor for clearing. All this leads too is people wanting to rush through, get to the end of the dungeon as fast as possible, get their valor and GTFO.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only want a LFG tool if it was server based. No cross-server groups.
    I like sandwiches

I still don't get what all the aversion to getting teleported to the dungeon is about. At least give you the option to instantly shuttle back to the nearest spaceport like your quick travel ability already does.

However I totally agree that it should not be cross server, ever.
    Reign In Power: WoW | SWTOR

I think it would be nice - but not right away, let us do our own shit until the first expansion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Guillotine811 View Post
    I duno, a lot of companies could learn from watching the decline of WoW. This catering to casuals and making the game lazier as they also got lazy with their new content ended up attracting more casuals at first, but back firing in the long run as Sub numbers dropped drastically.[COLOR="red"]
    Blizzard messed up when they switched from following wotlk gameplay to cata's raids and dungeons being overtuned towards the elitists crowds. Now after so many sub losses and possible more to come , there running around like chickens with there heads cut off trying to get a hold on things. The raids right now might be easier then that of wotlk. Blizzard atm is trying to keep those casuals left before swtor hits. With instances being easier as they are now. It shows there trying to find there groove again. But personally, after the lame lore for cata , I am not really interested in the game much anymore. Swtor has a chance at keeping a high casual player base which would rake in far more then just catering to elitist which would generate a significant less towards sales. If I was an investor, I would want to make money off anything I am investing in. From a business standpoint, Bioware stands to break the records set by blizzard and other mmo companies. That's if they don't decide to turn there backs on the casuals. LFD in wow was fun at times. I didn't have to bug people to tank or heal for me just to try and get my daily badges or items that I was after. It kept me busy when I wasn't raiding. Instead of being out spending money elsewhere in town. I was using the LFD system.
    Swtor has alot of potential to become the best. Only time will tell after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    many of the dungeons is in the space ship base so a teleport would actually make it posible for people to be out in the world and do stuff while waiting instead of standing around the dungeon consoles
    At least in that way people will be spread out. WoW's LFD system makes it less time consuming by just standing in SW/Org and spam queue, since you won't have to move out of the city to get XP. This makes people go /meh about running around the world and quest, therefore wasting the time artists spent on the game and basically makes the entire game into a tiny sandbox game where all you do is queue for everything you want. Just like WoW has become, removing the necessity for a world outside SW and Org.
    Aion's LFD system forces you to go out into the world, talk to the people you play with and actually having to give a shit about your rep on the server.

I don't want SWTOR to become the disgrace that WoW is. After you hit lvl 15 you can basically stand infront of the SW AH/bank and queue your way up to T13 gear. Never having to leave the city. And THAT is why people have been quitting the game in huge masses.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64