Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The real reason I'm going to play SWTOR...

Played WoW in vanilla and played it for the past few months. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but here's thing thing.

It's been played out. It's been done. The game is seven years old. I know every class more than fairly well. I know every square inch of the entire game world. The best way to do everything is already known (builds, stats, etc.). Most of the playerbase already knows all of the "answers" for the game.

I've played SWTOR in beta and it's at least on par with WoW (I found the combat system to be far better, as well as the crafting), but what truly interests me about it is the fact that it's fresh and new. No one knows all of the secrets. No one knows the best way to do everything. No one knows every quest, flashpoint, item, etc. already. The game cannot feel played out because no one has played it. It'll be VANILLA again, and having spent a while in post-vanilla WoW, that'll be something I very much look forward to.

Bottom line, I just want something new. New content, new systems, new worlds, etc.

Anyone else feel the same?

Deleted
    Pretty sure most people who'll play the game feel like that bro, unless people are only playing cause it's bioware/star wars or whatever

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm looking forward to that vanilla feeling again

I get where you're coming from. Now a days, I spend most of my time just sitting in SW, doing nothing or waiting for ques. Im sure swtor's questing alone will keep me busy for tons of hours.
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    Played WoW in vanilla and played it for the past few months. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but here's thing thing.

It's been played out. It's been done. The game is seven years old. I know every class more than fairly well. I know every square inch of the entire game world. The best way to do everything is already known (builds, stats, etc.). Most of the playerbase already knows all of the "answers" for the game.

I've played SWTOR in beta and it's at least on par with WoW (I found the combat system to be far better, as well as the crafting), but what truly interests me about it is the fact that it's fresh and new. No one knows all of the secrets. No one knows the best way to do everything. No one knows every quest, flashpoint, item, etc. already. The game cannot feel played out because no one has played it. It'll be VANILLA again, and having spent a while in post-vanilla WoW, that'll be something I very much look forward to.

Bottom line, I just want something new. New content, new systems, new worlds, etc.

Yea. I'm with you. The main reason I have for even keeping tabs on WoW is my friends there. I haven't actively played it in a year soon. Cataclysm launch was great and fresh, but it was over and they didn't hold up the things I expected in later content patches. Redone Zul'gurub, really? Come on.

My other prime reason to play it is my curiousity about the rumoured class balance in SW:TOR. Every class seems capable of filling two niches at least and every spec is somewhat competetive. That would be an amazing achievement for an mmo. Then there is the story element. That makes me really happy. I love RPG games.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Deleted
    This is exactly what i feel about Star Wars, its fresh and new and there aren't a million guides floating around (yet) therefore the exploration and feeling will be very similar to my experience in vanilla WoW.

i feel the same way as you OP. EDIT: i also love star wars.
    Last edited by Gunslinger20; 2011-12-11 at 12:26 AM.

The real reason I'm going to SWTOR? The community on wow SUCKS. Just look at LFR and how people treat the loot as an example of how bad it is. They keep making content easier and easier yet unless you join a "semi-hardcore" guild you still won't clear anything because people are just that bad. Wow is pretty much unplayable between asshats and morons for me this entire expansion.

I'm hoping that SWTOR will have stronger community since it lacks LFD, I know most of the population of TOR will be ex-wow players but I'm hoping they are at least initially as well behaved as they were back in classic =(

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to that vanilla feeling again
    Me to, it's a whole new world to explore.

I been playing WoW since vanilla i log on for raids and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    The real reason I'm going to SWTOR? The community on wow SUCKS. Just look at LFR and how people treat the loot as an example of how bad it is. They keep making content easier and easier yet unless you join a "semi-hardcore" guild you still won't clear anything because people are just that bad. Wow is pretty much unplayable between asshats and morons for me this entire expansion.

I'm hoping that SWTOR will have stronger community since it lacks LFD, I know most of the population of TOR will be ex-wow players but I'm hoping they are at least initially as well behaved as they were back in classic =(
    That's another great reason to give SWTOR a try.

I'm hoping the whiny, spoiled side of the MMO community won't get to SWTOR for a while, but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post

So with that considered, why aren't you playing warhammer, rift or aion...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leaving WoW for Tor (same as you played since Vanilla, same old, same old) Tor is a filler for me til GW2 Comes out basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    Probably cause they suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want the challenge of a new environment and this seems like the best option today. Didn't care for WoW, was disappointed in how Rift decided to back away from their original design and GW2 is still a ways away. In a nutshell this looks to me like the funnest thing to do for at the very least the next 6 months, who knows it might hold me here.

I did play Aion, but the grind became horrendous post 30 (made it to 39 on two chars).

Like I said, I'm confident that SWTOR is at least on PAR with WoW, ergo I'm not losing anything by moving over.

Deleted
    Yeah, I still really enjoy the concept of WoW, but as a game and such it has become rather tired, even with the entire revamp of Azeroth, I've had every class at max level and raided with most of them to some proficient extent.

So I just see SWtOR as WoW, with frills in an entirely new but still familiar setting. Everyone can identify most of the character classes available to us, and recognise some of the planet names and so on. There doesn't seem to be any major ground breaking evolvement from WoW to SwtOR in terms of gameplay, but there are nice additions with the story developments, etc. SWoTR seems to be sticking with what has worked for WoW for so long and I think that's part of the appeal - at least to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Probably cause they suck.
    and there's any proof that tor will be any different for people looking at a lasting game? (IE you aren't burnt out after 1 month of the minimal endgame)

Deleted
    and there's any proof that tor will be any different for people looking at a lasting game? (IE you aren't burnt out after 1 month of the minimal endgame)
    No proof, but the way I see it even if I do get burnt out after a month of endgame, the levelling of alts really interests me, it's not like WoW were you're just grinding the same quest route that you've take 9 times before, every class has their own individual story lines to complete, and I'm guessing that over the course of 8 characters it will keep me busy for a good few months, and then if the endgame is engaging that's a pretty good bonus.

Reason people go to swtor is because so many have been playing wow for so long when they REALLY dont want to. So many people keep logging into wow, play it, bitch about it ingame and on forums. Still, after days or months of bitching about wow they keep logging into wow wheter its for raiding or other stuff. This really mindboggles me. I dont understand why people would spend time on a game they find so irritating and bad for them. So many of those that goes from wow to swtor will max 1 year ahead in time bitch about swtor saying it sucks for whatever reason(because they spend way to much time online and get bored of it), and move back to wow. When back to wow, they play it for a while and start bitching about something else.

I feel that most people have overplayed wow to much, and thats why the bitching is so big.

Deleted
    Im with you OP. I havent been playing WoW actively for quite some time and a new fresh MMO to play is exciting. I played SWG when it was released and it was the first MMO I played before I moved on to FFXI and then WoW.

WoW is dead for me. Like you I think have over played the game and it just feels like a massive grind fest doing shit ive done over and over again.