15+ Year Old Account

Sith Inquistitor or Jedi Consular

For those who have experience in either one these classes' stories, are they exciting? I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I know the basic gist of the SI story, but know nothing about the JC's story. So if anyone could just give a nice summary about what it is about (with as little spoilers as possible), that'd be cool.

Also, companion wise, what do you think has better companions (in terms of personality)? An overview of any of the companions for either class would be nice.

I've heard that the Consular is the most dreadfully boring class to play. I haven't played it myself though.

Deleted
    They are mirrors apart from spell effects. If the Consular is boring because he throws rocks and uses kinetic force powers, and the Sorc isn't because she uses lightning, regardless of the fact they use the exact same game mechanics, then I'm afraid this is the wrong game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    They are mirrors apart from spell effects. If the Consular is boring because he throws rocks and uses kinetic force powers, and the Sorc isn't because she uses lightning, regardless of the fact they use the exact same game mechanics, then I'm afraid this is the wrong game for you.
    I should have been more clear Mr. This-isn't-the-game-for-you guy. I meant the story line, not the game play.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    If you even read the OP.. I said story wise. I said nothing about spells.. I am quite aware the spells are exactly the same besides animations/names.

I played the JC in beta since I wanted to roll an SI in the game. Like Dekadez said, the effects aren't as cool looking as force lightning because you're literally throwing junk around from the ground. Sometimes it looks like I'm throwing chairs at people? But storywise, I actually liked it quite a lot.

Semi-spoilery description:
    There is some politics where you have to deal with some refugees who are there without the Jedi Council's permission, whose lives are in danger but who the council aren't doing all they can do protect. The main questline has you chasing down one of those refugees who has gone rogue/crazy, recovering jedi artifacts, and eventually getting your lightsaber at the end of the quest when everything is recovered. In my opinion, the JC's story doesn't really pick up until after you leave the starting planet, though. Then your Jedi master falls ill, and you have to deal with Coruscant and all its corruption/villains, as well as the politicians there. A lot of interesting moral choices to make in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    I played the JC in beta since I wanted to roll an SI in the game. Like Dekadez said, the effects aren't as cool looking as force lightning because you're literally throwing junk around from the ground. Sometimes it looks like I'm throwing chairs at people? But storywise, I actually liked it quite a lot.

Semi-spoilery description:
    There is some politics where you have to deal with some refugees who are there without the Jedi Council's permission, whose lives are in danger but who the council aren't doing all they can do protect. The main questline has you chasing down one of those refugees who has gone rogue/crazy, recovering jedi artifacts, and eventually getting your lightsaber at the end of the quest when everything is recovered. In my opinion, the JC's story doesn't really pick up until after you leave the starting planet, though. Then your Jedi master falls ill, and you have to deal with Coruscant and all its corruption/villains, as well as the politicians there. A lot of interesting moral choices to make in my opinion.
    Actually sounds pretty cool. I've heard the SI story actually goes downhill after the first chapter, which kinda makes me want to not play it. Leaning towards JC now.

Deleted
    I played through most of the Tython storyline for consular and it was just extremely dull. It gave me a bad first impression about the game and really didn't feel up to par with any of the other starting areas I did afterwards(Sith Warrior/Inquisitor, Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Imp. Agent). While the inquisitor story is all about deceit, controlling people and getting more power, the consular just seems to be about learning more about the force.

Most of what I head about the Consular story is that it starts a little slow but gets much better
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

I've played both classes as a full time beta tester, and people always say that the SI and JC story lines are the most boring of them all. Honestly though, it's a pretty subjective opinion and I found both stories fairly interesting. The JC story is definitely a slow starter though, but I felt got more interesting as you went on.

One thing I will say though, is that people try to act like shooting lightning is a lot cooler than it actually is. While the JC abilities may be not be as "cool" as shooting lightning from your fingers, the SI has way too many abilities that are nothing BUT lightning. It honestly got old after awhile in my opinion.

I played both over two weekends. I prefer the Consular's spell animations, and really enjoyed the story. Why did I prefer Pebble Storm over Channeled Purple Lightning? Because ALL of the SI's signature spells are purple lightning. It's cool, but they all look the same. Sure, pebbles don't look great, but they look different from Project and Disturbance, and the effect for the cc (force life vs electrocute) is different (e.g. not the same as all the other spell effects).

Also: Project just feels BRUTAL when it hits. The slight camera shake is really well done.

That being said, some people like lightning. Play them both, get a feel for them.

There's nothing like PvPing against a JC and seeing a giant boulder come hurling towards your face. Like it was mentioned, the SI shoots lightning, and only that while the JC has some variance. I did play both stories through the starter worlds, I didn't really find one better than another. They were both just ok to me.

Can't say much about the Sorcerer. I know the basics of Korriban and your start, but you said you know about that too, the Consular on the other hand I played to around 25 and enjoyed the story. Only stopped because the char of my level partner got stuck and we decided to roll different classes for the next go.

Without spoilering too much it makes you a bit of a diplomat and a healer. Uncovering the truths behind certain dark side problems and mending the effects. I found the story interesting although it was a bit more suited to a sage than a shadow from Coruscant and onwards.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to properly hide spoilers so I can't write anymore about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhreia View Post
    Can't say much about the Sorcerer. I know the basics of Korriban and your start, but you said you know about that too, the Consular on the other hand I played to around 25 and enjoyed the story. Only stopped because the char of my level partner got stuck and we decided to roll different classes for the next go.

Without spoilering too much it makes you a bit of a diplomat and a healer. Uncovering the truths behind certain dark side problems and mending the effects. I found the story interesting although it was a bit more suited to a sage than a shadow from Coruscant and onwards.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to properly hide spoilers so I can't write anymore about it.
    Seems there's a spoiler tag just like any other html tag on here. [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler] without the spaces reads as and
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Knight Reyson View Post
    I played through most of the Tython storyline for consular and it was just extremely dull. It gave me a bad first impression about the game and really didn't feel up to par with any of the other starting areas I did afterwards(Sith Warrior/Inquisitor, Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Imp. Agent). While the inquisitor story is all about deceit, controlling people and getting more power, the consular just seems to be about learning more about the force.
    Exactly

SI story line after Act 1 (level 30sh) sucks.

JC story actually rocks after Coruscant, and is actually involved.

+ Lightning REALLY gets boring really fast. The graphics of JC are better, BUT they have a bit of a "lag" time due to the animation casting time thus SI might be slightly superior in #s.

Quote Originally Posted by Redkinn View Post
    The graphics of JC are better, BUT they have a bit of a "lag" time due to the animation casting time thus SI might be slightly superior in #s.
    It was actually calculated that the animation didn't have an actual lag effect on the dps, I would link the post but the swtor forums are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Redkinn View Post
    JC story actually rocks after Coruscant, and is actually involved.
    I never finished Coruscant on my Consular (was PVPing a lot at that point), but I did have a nerd loregasm when I found the first items the class quest revolves around.