A few questions from a skeptic..

Hi all i have just a few questions in regards to this game. I have usually been a person who bashes this game but im going to try and broaden my point of view.

I'm the 'achievement whore' type of person, i grind reputations to exalted endlessly, i like farming for new titles, i love to casually pvp and i was once a raider (in wow before i got burned out). My question is basically, will this game provide all of those things that i love? I played beta, a sith warrior to be specific, but i really didnt get to see the whole game, not even close. Do you guys think this game will become so popular that there will be a competitive gaming scene? Will it remain a great game, do you think Bioware will come out with new content regularly? Basically is this a game i should invest my time into.

To help you guys gain a little perspective into who i am here goes. I began playing WoW during patch 3.3 while the icc buff was at 25%. Before that i was pretty much a single player game type of guy, until i decided to try out WOW. I always wished that i would have began playing mmos, WOW to be specific during vanilla, just so i would have been able see the 'good ol' days' for myself. My interest in TOR came about because if i start to play this game on launch i will be able to be one of those veteran players way down the road when the game is 4+ years old. I will have been around since the games servers went live.

I'm just a skeptical person by nature and would hate to begin playing this game just to see the servers die down in population later on. So what do you think, will TOR appeal to a player like myself and will it remain interesting?

Thanks in advance for any posts you guys may have in reply to my 'ordeal'.

No one can say for sure how much new content they'll add and how quickly (if Dragon Age and its expansions are any indication, they'll be adding new content in spades).

However, there will be a LOT to do.

Check out this thread for a good rundown of everything you can expect: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ew-Final-Build

Well, first off, there isn't an in-depth achievement system with points and such like what you're familiar with from wow. There is, however, a codex. Some of the entries are earned as part of killing bosses or doing random stuff out in the world, and just about all of it has to be unlocked via one thing or another. There are tons of titles as well, some easy to earn some not so much. I also see the dark side/light side point system as being something you may really enjoy, plus each rank comes with a title of its own. There aren't specific reputations so to speak, but you can still repeat just about every heroic(group) mission daily for another reward and sometimes another shot at more DS/LS points. The same applies to flashpoints, the dialogue options can really change how you actually complete your objectives or even what some of the objectives are.

Apologies if I've gotten the wrong impression, but you seem to be a somewhat casual player as far as playstyle(read: not as interested as some in bleeding edge raiding content) and under those circumstances I think you could greatly enjoy SWTOR. Have you played Mass Effect before? If so, are you the type that felt the urge to replay parts of the game just to check out different dialogue options and their results? If so, I'd definitely recommend trying SWTOR out as well.

I also am really looking forward to getting in right on the ground floor with release. I played wow since early vanilla, but was still a couple months late(and took forever to reach 60, seriously almost a month /played), and am really looking forward to actually being in the first waves this time around.

As for the game's longevity, I think SWTOR will go the distance. The legacy system, individual class stories, bioware already having plans for an expansion, the nearly infinite room to add more content via additional planets(and a nice clean 1000+ year landing strip story-wise to play with), and the fact that this game will always be something a new star wars fan may be interested in checking out are all reasons to believe it's here to stay for years into the future.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    Hi all i have just a few questions in regards to this game. I have usually been a person who bashes this game but im going to try and broaden my point of view.

I'm the 'achievement whore' type of person, i grind reputations to exalted endlessly, i like farming for new titles, i love to casually pvp and i was once a raider (in wow before i got burned out). My question is basically, will this game provide all of those things that i love? I played beta, a sith warrior to be specific, but i really didnt get to see the whole game, not even close. Do you guys think this game will become so popular that there will be a competitive gaming scene? Will it remain a great game, do you think Bioware will come out with new content regularly? Basically is this a game i should invest my time into.

To help you guys gain a little perspective into who i am here goes. I began playing WoW during patch 3.3 while the icc buff was at 25%. Before that i was pretty much a single player game type of guy, until i decided to try out WOW. I always wished that i would have began playing mmos, WOW to be specific during vanilla, just so i would have been able see the 'good ol' days' for myself. My interest in TOR came about because if i start to play this game on launch i will be able to be one of those veteran players way down the road when the game is 4+ years old. I will have been around since the games servers went live.

I'm just a skeptical person by nature and would hate to begin playing this game just to see the servers die down in population later on. So what do you think, will TOR appeal to a player like myself and will it remain interesting?

Thanks in advance for any posts you guys may have in reply to my 'ordeal'.
    Vanilla WoW was crap (relatively), and too many people use it as a badge... Which sounds like one of your goals, so really, you should just jump on every new massive just in case : )

I don't know about achievements... I'm not a fan of them, so typically I ignore them... and I can't remember getting them when I played, but again, see previous bit about ignoring them ; )

Pretty sure there are titles, and that whole legacy thing (which may be the achievements portion), so do a search for that... Or that other thread with a recent dev interview.

The game will be popular enough that there will be a competitive gaming scene...

The game population will also die out a few months after launch, if it takes that long...

And both statements are for the same reason... Some people will like it, some won't... Can't really argue beyond that though... It's a popular IP, but many (like myself), aren't big fans of SW, and of course, millions are ; )

So yes, TOR will appeal to someone like you, but maybe not you... I recommend trying it out : )

-Alamar

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    <snip>

^ This. I really enjoyed the game as well and personally believe it'll go far!

Maybe idealistic, but hell, why not!

Try it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    The game will be popular enough that there will be a competitive gaming scene...

The game population will also die out a few months after launch, if it takes that long...

And both statements are for the same reason... Some people will like it, some won't... Can't really argue beyond that though... It's a popular IP, but many (like myself), aren't big fans of SW, and of course, millions are ; )

So yes, TOR will appeal to someone like you, but maybe not you... I recommend trying it out : )

-Alamar

I don't know about the OP, but that seemed like one of the most contradicting posts I've read in a long time...
    How can it be popular enough for a competitive gaming scene, yet die out in a few months?
    And the, 'it will appeal to you, or it won't...'

Anyways, I disagree with this post. It'll make it the distance. Not sure about the competitive gaming scene - we'll have to wait and see.
    At the very least, it's enjoyable.

There is collecting codex and datacron for you (although I bet there will be an FAQ for collection all datacrons within 1-2 month of game release).

Codex are lore objects you can interact and you can read the story more in your quest log.. They are kind of like "books" in WoW.. There used to be a lot of them back in Vanilla/TBC.. but I guess Blizzard eventually find no one reads them

Datacrons are objects that are usually hidden in places that are very hard to reach.. They give you PERMANENT stats bonus (usually for presence.. which is a stat that boost your companion's stats).

As for reps.. There are light side/dark side points for your grinding pleasure.. Getting them will unlock titles.. There are tons of titles in beta already and I am sure there will be more in the release.

Oh.. and you can also grind for companion's affection points as well, it will unlock item upgrades for them and new quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellomourn View Post
    I don't know about the OP, but that seemed like one of the most contradicting posts I've read in a long time...
    How can it be popular enough for a competitive gaming scene, yet die out in a few months?
    Ya, good catch... I meant 'die down', not 'die out'... Quite a big difference : )

I merely meant the population will decrease substantially in a month/two/three... But I think it will continue to be successful... Much like Rift ; )

Likely with bigger numbers; time tested IP (Intellectual Property - SW in this case) is used over and over for a reason ; )

-Alamar

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    There is collecting codex and datacron for you (although I bet there will be an FAQ for collection all datacrons within 1-2 month of game release).

Codex are lore objects you can interact and you can read the story more in your quest log.. They are kind of like "books" in WoW.. There used to be a lot of them back in Vanilla/TBC.. but I guess Blizzard eventually find no one reads them

Datacrons are objects that are usually hidden in places that are very hard to reach.. They give you PERMANENT stats bonus (usually for presence.. which is a stat that boost your companion's stats).

As for reps.. There are light side/dark side points for your grinding pleasure.. Getting them will unlock titles.. There are tons of titles in beta already and I am sure there will be more in the release.

Oh.. and you can also grind for companion's affection points as well, it will unlock item upgrades for them and new quests.
    OH, right. Derp, I completely forgot that companion affection is very easy to compare to reputations.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Well, repetitive grinds like kill X thousand of these or raise 45 reps to exalted aren't in the game. Bioware has said they don't want to resort to that type of gameplay. Even companion affection will be fairly easy to max out if you have a lot of credits--just buy a ton of Companion Gifts.

I really can't answer your question. If you need grind to have fun I'd venture a "no" only because Bioware seems so anti-grind. You could collect datcrons, fill out the codex, collect mounts (there's a lot of them), do daily quests and daily group quests. But there's no "Go get 50 tabards and 75 non-combat pets" system.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Well, repetitive grinds like kill X thousand of these or raise 45 reps to exalted aren't in the game. Bioware has said they don't want to resort to that type of gameplay. Even companion affection will be fairly easy to max out if you have a lot of credits--just buy a ton of Companion Gifts.

I really can't answer your question. If you need grind to have fun I'd venture a "no" only because Bioware seems so anti-grind. You could collect datcrons, fill out the codex, collect mounts (there's a lot of them), do daily quests and daily group quests. But there's no "Go get 50 tabards and 75 non-combat pets" system.
    The only real grind is PVP. To get the battlemaster set you're subjected to dealing with RNG gearboxes, but I imagine BW might tweak that system. The ranking system is a slight grind, but nothing massive like other games.

This game has 654 codex entries(achievement points) per player.

Youll be busy for "a while" :P