Considering getting Diablo 3

I'm considering asking for the game for my birthday early next year or buying it, either or. I've seen some gameplay, and it looks pretty cool. That being said I know just about nothing about the game. Something about heaven, hell angels, some dead Diablo guy and some angel named Tyrael. The girl named Leah seems important. I read she has some sort of connection to Diablo?.....And that's about it. To the point, is it ok to jump in here? I don't want to be totally lost, or should I play the other two first. Or someone could give me a somewhat brief rundown.....thanks.

Wikipedia will answer all of those questions. Or play Diablo 2, it's still a great game.
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup I agree with Rendhammer, you can basically look up the basic story on the wikipedia and I'm pretty sure there are books for the extended universe if you get really into it.

I played D2 without knowing anything about the world. It's a hack 'n' slash game, you won't need to know anything about the lore to play it. Sure, you'll probably get more out of the game if you take an interest in the story, but honestly you won't need to to have fun killing stuff.

Don't think about it, just get it

And you can probably pick up diablo 2 for a few bucks somewhere.
    The graphics are weird and outdated though.

Been in the D3 beta for about a week. The first play-through in the first act (the only one available in the beta) on a class can take 1-3 hours, and about half of that for subsequent class run-throughs. I'm hoping to hell there's a lot of replayability, and I am definitely interested in the real money AH, so I'd buy it if I weren't getting it for free via the WoW Annual Pass. But yeah, I've yet to really see Blizzard dump a major failure in anybody's lap for as long as I can remember. You'd enjoy D3 enough that buying it wouldn't be a regret, especially if you've ever played D1 or D2.

All in all, assuming you don't power through all the content, I'd estimate 1-3 hours per act, assume 5 acts, across 5 characters, and what I assume is 3 difficulty levels, that'll net you roughly 2 * 5 * 5 * 3 or 75ish hours of gameplay, so it's likely worth it. There's also no monthly subscription, so it's a one time investment. I still dig out D1 and D2 every once in a while and those games are what, 10 and 15 years old?
    Last edited by Lycaon; 2011-12-11 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the beta is only 1/3 to 1/2 of act 1, so it's probably longer than 3 hours if you don't rush. There's 4 acts.