Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

TOR: Impact of 4.3

I see a major glaring issue that Blizz is going to have with 4.3. LFR makes clearing the content way too easy and fast. How many times can you clear DS before you just scream "no more"?

The only thing to occupy players' time is heroic modes, but unless you are already in a heroic guild odds are that you are not going to even bother. Other than that is the usual 3 new dungeons to grind for gear that you do not need.

My question is this: how much of an impact do you see this having on TOR? Will TOR get flooded by the LFR players? There is a 6-7 month (Summer '12) gap between this patch and MoP. Guilds will likely experience a drop in players from holidays, burnout, poaching, and to add to that - TOR.

I am not trying to incite a war between WoW & TOR fans. I am really just curious as to what the 4.3 patch will do to the player base. I think that EA is creaming themselves right now thinking about this. Am I just crazy or will this have a significant impact?

* I want to emphasize that I think LFR was a great idea, but the implementation was horrible.
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-12-11 at 06:44 AM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    blizz fan boy here saying that yes, tor may get a lot of subs. the new raid is way too easy from what i've seen. i so can't wait for mists already.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I see a major glaring issue that Blizz is going to have with 4.3. LFR makes clearing the content way too easy and fast. How many times can you clear DS before you just scream "no more"?

The only thing to occupy players' time is heroic modes, but unless you are already in a heroic guild odds are that you are not going to even bother. Other than that is the usual 3 new dungeons to grind for gear that you do not need.

My question is this: how much of an impact do you see this having on TOR? Will TOR get flooded by the LFR players? There is a 6-7 month (Summer '12) gap between this patch and MoP. Guilds will likely experience a drop in players from holidays, burnout, poaching, and to add to that - TOR.

I am not trying to incite a war between WoW & TOR fans. I am really just curious as to what the 4.3 patch will do to the player base. I think that EA is creaming themselves right now thinking about this. Am I just crazy or will this have a significant impact?
    from what ive heard the LFG and LFR systhem will be in TOR along with badge /point gear.i fear we will end up with the same crap that wow is now.

I consider that 4.3+LFR will make people play wow less. You clear DW on LFR, and normal mode raid... on alts, and you get tired.

So, most people will raid 1 night on wow, and try something else, or at least logout from wow.

I'm moving to TOR, really excited about it, and 4.3 just made me regret leaving wow even less.

I for one hope not too many WoW fan boys join TOR and start demanding stuff like LFG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dendaros View Post
    from what ive heard the LFG and LFR systhem will be in TOR along with badge /point gear.i fear we will end up with the same crap that wow is now.
    that isn't really true, no. there is a system that could be considered a mix of the badge and reputation system in wow, and there is a lfg-system that lets one look for other players more easily - but no automated random parties or teleport to dungeon.

OT: i think the op really does have a point. i currently plan to play both games, but ds has been quite disappointing so far (i enjoyed the fireland boss fights far more).
    Last edited by Sy; 2011-12-11 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    blizz fan boy here saying that yes, tor may get a lot of subs. the new raid is way too easy from what i've seen. i so can't wait for mists already.
    Clearly, you're a LFR player.
    This content isn't nearly as easy as you're making it out to be, and I'd imagine Heroic Deathwing is going to be pretty freakin difficult as well, especially seen as reg mode is much more difficult than Rag/Nef Normal modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    I for one hope not too many WoW fan boys join TOR and start demanding stuff like LFG.
    Its already in the game but not as avanced as the wow one ...... for now....

Quote Originally Posted by dendaros View Post
    LFG / LFR is very far away if it ever happens (they have said that they take feedback into account when adding stuff so they might get turned down by the community). The badge / point system is a superior loot system to anything previously existed. It's a lot more grindy in SWTOR aswell then in WoW.

I think there won't be cross realm LFG and LFR in star wars as realm capacity is going to be big. I am fine with there being LFG and LFR being server but if it goes cross server I will quit and wait for Diablo 3 and GW2. GW2 is claiming to be different so will have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaa View Post
    This content isn't nearly as easy as you're making it out to be, and I'd imagine Heroic Deathwing is going to be pretty freakin difficult as well, especially seen as reg mode is much more difficult than Rag/Nef Normal modes.
    not really. though i have used it once but that's not enough to "earn" the title you tried to give me.

LFR not in TOR...LFG is only basic in the game its like the queue without the autogroup function or teleport ability. Everyone has to fly there. Also its not going to be multi server queue at least not at first possibly in the future. TOR does however use a valor system and uses commendations to purchase gear. I guess they saw the system working with other mmos so rolled with it. Will be interesting to see how they change their system as the game evolves though. See you at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    What you fail to understand is LFR is FUN really really fun.

You act as if TOR has a better End Game, or any End Game at all.

It will, no one can stay on top forever. Wow made some fun gaming but have mistepped a few times last couple years. Wow isn't going away soon and id love for them to turn the game around again, but reality is due to many factors, some their fault, some not, players are growing bored. Not all, but a sizeable chunk. I think making content more accessible in theory is a great thing, but unless new content its then generated faster it becomes a negative system.

Swtor is a very cool game and in glad it came near when I could not play wow any longer without immediate burnout. Hopefully it gives blitz a wake up call and they better themselves. Competition breeds innovation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

In terms of core players quiting wow because of LFR, below is one example of a gm of 25 man raiding guild.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061881104

4.3 wont matter much for TOR. The people who played WoW will still play WoW for reasons unknown to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    that isn't really true, no. there is a system that could be considered a mix of the badge and reputation system in wow, and there is a lfg-system that lets one look for other players more easily - but no automated random parties or teleport to dungeon.

OT: i think the op really does have a point. i currently plan to play both games, but ds has been quite disappointing so far (i enjoyed the fireland boss fights far more).
    true and i just did a reply about it but still its still in the game as you can flag your self as LFG and do a /who. its just a matter of time be for the lfg fanboy's start storming swtor forums and ask bioware to do it wow style. now we just need to wait and see if bioware will give in witch i realy hope they dont

Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaa View Post
    A lot of folks couldn't care less about heroic mode. Why bother when you can do 1 or 2 other versions with a lot less ball-busting and sudden difficulty spikes.(honestly, what's with this trend of having one or two bosses per tier that are far harder than anything else, is it just so people can point at the 1 or 2 encounters to counterpoint everything else being so easy?)
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    not really. though i have used it once but that's not enough to "earn" the title you tried to give me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    A lot of folks couldn't care less about heroic mode. Why bother when you can do 1 or 2 other versions with a lot less ball-busting and sudden difficulty spikes.(honestly, what's with this trend of having one or two bosses per tier that are far harder than anything else, is it just so people can point at the 1 or 2 encounters to counterpoint everything else being so easy?)
    Unless you're farming Hard modes, you really have no place to say that this game is easy.
    That's like balancing basic, simple chemical equations, and assuming that chemical engineering is easy.
    You're not even scratching the surface.

If you're complaining that this game is too easy, do something in the game that is not easy.
    Reach 2500+ in Arena, reach High Warlord status (or the alliance equivilent, I think it's General, I forget).
    Clear all Hard modes in the latest dungeon.
    there's always something more the game has to offer thats more challenging and difficult, you just have to stop being lazy and accusing the game for being easy and actually try.