Page 1 of 2
LastLast

small star ships and ship gameplay

we know in swtor we can have our own ship like Han solo, but can you also have a small x-wing ship like luke's starfighter? a ship that can be used to go on quick hit and run missions without having to bring a large ship that is noticeable to enemies. The starfighter can act as transport for planets without ship ports and can be used almost like the shuttle shepard has on his normandy ship. if there isn't anything like this in the game, there should be, and maybe as the game progresses you can buy an even bigger ship.who knows maybe bioware might explore the idea of ships and ship gameplay. it would be also cool if they can make an EVE online mini game out of interactions with other players and their ships because one thing star wars can do to make swtor cool is space exploration.

This isn't a space game, the space combat system is a side game, designed to be something fun you do when you are bored. Your ship is mostly just "player housing".

Not saying your ideas are bad, just that they really aren't the focus of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    This isn't a space game, the space combat system is a side game, designed to be something fun you do when you are bored. Your ship is mostly just "player housing".

Not saying your ideas are bad, just that they really aren't the focus of this game.
    yeah unfortunately Bioware is really missing out on a large group of players who would totally play a space mmo. Maybe they will actually improve space in the future, but for now its just a mini game to do in your downtime when all your friends are offline and you are all alone...so alone!

So far BW devs have expressed that they have many many things on this list of features to add and expand upon, so more space combat/exploration will probably come with time. Right now it's just transport and railshooter minigames for ship usage.

Deleted
    If you haven't seen the space combat yet, check my youtube channel in my sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem4aDr3am View Post
    yeah unfortunately Bioware is really missing out on a large group of players who would totally play a space mmo. Maybe they will actually improve space in the future, but for now its just a mini game to do in your downtime when all your friends are offline and you are all alone...so alone!
    Who says they arent working a major content addition for that, ive seen hints in a few interview/dev post about it.

P.s. Every time i hear about EVE i think of an economy simulator.

Eve is a pretty extensive space mmo...

But, to merge both space controls and combat of that of Eve, a game in it's own right, into an story driven mmo that is TOR...you're really asking a lot from anybody. That's a lot of man-power to keep updated and dubugged for, arguably, two different player-bases
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

well I remember when they first announced space and immediately said they didnt want to do a tie fighter v xwing type space combat because they didnt want it to steal away from the role playing ground side of the game which is their main focus. I have seen the comments about future space plans and the wall of crazy etc, but at the rate they are working I don't expect anything great from space for at least 2 years. For now I can live with space and its little 6 min missions that give me daily rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    Han solo, but can you also have a small x-wing ship like luke's starfighter? a ship that can be used to go on quick hit and run missions
    Solo's ship the Millenium Falcon ("light freighter") isn't a whole lot larger then star fighters like x-wings. It flew side by side with fighters INSIDE the 2nd death star...

Player ships in TOR (so far) are only slightly larger then most star fighters. You can do space missions involving dog fights and/or strafing runs. The space combat is "rail mounted" though. You cannot fly in any direction you want, for extended periods of time. There are set paths for missions you will maneuver within.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-12-11 at 05:50 AM.

I would love to see a space combat PvP area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    Eve is a pretty extensive space mmo...

But, to merge both space controls and combat of that of Eve, a game in it's own right, into an story driven mmo that is TOR...you're really asking a lot from anybody. That's a lot of man-power to keep updated and dubugged for, arguably, two different player-bases
    the ship gameplay doesn't have to act as a main focus of the game,it just needs to be there. How cool would it be to mindlessly pilot through space while bored? The ship gameplay doesn't have to completely copy EVE online 100%.It Just take some inspiration from EVE and other space exploration games. I know the game hasn't even launched yet, but who knows? maybe in the future bioware might include this

I doubt it will be a main focus at the launch..

But it's a fun twitch rail shooter though.. Good time off from normal questing.. Those extra xps/credits don't hurt as well.. And I think it definitely beats all the WoW's vehicle combat.

Wasn't there some mention of guild capital ships at one point?
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

The space combat that is in TOR, and the space combat thats in EVE, and the space combat thats in X3, so on and so on and so on... all crap compared to that of the X-Wing series, and the Wing Commander series. What ever happened to those style games. if they added a full X-Wing style(complete space combat sim like X-Wing Alliance for example) into TOR i would drop blizz like a bad habit, pick me up a copy of TOR in a heart beat.... JUST for that, plus the bonus of being an MMORPG i guess.

i would give my left nut, hell i have 2 kids... i will give both nuts, for a new and up to date X-Wing style game. not this crap they pass off these days for a space combat sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    I doubt it will be a main focus at the launch..

But it's a fun twitch rail shooter though.. Good time off from normal questing.. Those extra xps/credits don't hurt as well.. And I think it definitely beats all the WoW's vehicle combat.
    I'm not 100% sure but i think there are daily quest for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mirthen View Post
    The space combat that is in TOR, and the space combat thats in EVE, and the space combat thats in X3, so on and so on and so on... all crap compared to that of the X-Wing series, and the Wing Commander series. What ever happened to those style games. if they added a full X-Wing style(complete space combat sim like X-Wing Alliance for example) into TOR i would drop blizz like a bad habit, pick me up a copy of TOR in a heart beat.... JUST for that, plus the bonus of being an MMORPG i guess.

i would give my left nut, hell i have 2 kids... i will give both nuts, for a new and up to date X-Wing style game. not this crap they pass off these days for a space combat sim.
    /slowclap

I actually really, really enjoyed the first rogue squadron game.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

You could say that any game is missing out on a large group of players by not being every other game.

For the time being, it is a mini-game. They may improve on it, add some new features, but SWTOR is not designed to be a space MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mirthen View Post

That's your opinion. Stop passing it off as a fact. Besides, how can we have a space combat simulator when we've never experienced how space combat works? (I actually happen to believe that EVE appears much more realistic than any Star Wars space shooter) It sounds to me like you want SWTOR to be a different game, or to at least be a game within a game.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2011-12-11 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    You could say that any game is missing out on a large group of players by not being every other game.

For the time being, it is a mini-game. They may improve on it, add some new features, but SWTOR is not designed to be a space MMO.

That's your opinion. Stop passing it off as a fact. Besides, how can we have a space combat simulator when we've never experienced how space combat works? (I actually happen to believe that EVE appears much more realistic than any Star Wars space shooter) It sounds to me like you want SWTOR to be a different game, or to at least be a game within a game.
    To be fair I think we can at least assume the eve(and most space games) physics approach of constant thrust = constant speed is....a bit off >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    To be fair I think we can at least assume the eve(and most space games) physics approach of constant thrust = constant speed is....a bit off >.>
    Of course. I never expect any sci-fi game to be 100% realistic. I just find it funny that people are requesting that SWTOR have a full "space combat simulator" with equal quality of that which other games are entirely based off of, and believe that one is more realistic than the other when probably none of us have a clue how it would work realistically.

Deleted
    Swtor is real life v2.0.

Anything less and i won't play it.