Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question pre-ordered late. questions about early access

I just pre ordered the digital deluxe edition of SW:ToR a few days ago, and it said "play up to 5 days early" im wondering what that means. i heard a rumor that if you pre ordered this late then you wont get in early. can anyone confirm or disprove this?

thanks for any answers .

They are staggering in waves by day or whatever, from what I saw on Twitter. And it's 7 days now, but might not get 7 days.

Check you're e-mail 13th and onward. Your game code for after early access should arrive on the 16th btw if you got it from Origin.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh, cool . yea i got it from origin. was there some deal with early access on origin?

EDIT: oh nvm "for after early access "

herpa derp

You're not going to get a lot of early access, from how things look like.

Considering BioWare claims that the earlier you redeem codes, the earlier you'll get into early access, you're pretty much dead last in the queue if you redeemed it in December, considering that it opened up in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post

Considering BioWare claims that the earlier you redeem codes, the earlier you'll get into early access, you're pretty much dead last in the queue if you redeemed it in December, considering that it opened up in July.
    Depends on their capacity too, I think. The queue might end on day three or something. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    Depends on their capacity too, I think. The queue might end on day three or something. ^^
    I'm hoping so I got in kind of late, and would LOVE 3 or 4 days of early access. Then again, my girlfriend would prefer I got one.

I think most people will be in by Friday. Their servers seems to be able to handle a lot.

Yes and no, seeing as it stated 5 then said upto 5, then the email they sent out stated up to 7 it would be most likely that they are doing it in 1 day waves of 7,6,5,4,3,0 or something to that effect so that even if you did it late you wouldn't feel totally gipped, my guess on his will probably be the 17th if he actually remembered to input the "pre order" code into his account and didn't just assume pre ordering it automatically tied it to the account... just speculation on my part but its a fairly reasonable bet that they started as a 5,4,3,0 access but as they got more pre orders then they thought after the beta weekend bumped it to 7,6,5,4,3,0 to account for everyone.

it was reported by someone on the forums that BW had said that everyone will get at least 5 days EA.

Quote Originally Posted by Goretog View Post
    it was reported by someone on the forums that BW had said that everyone will get at least 5 days EA.
    That would be cool for the later orders, but equally, not much of a staggered launch.

The purpose of Early Access is to get as many of the pre-orders spread out across in level ranges before launch, so everyone isn't piled into Origin Worlds and such.

Remember what launch day for WoW or it's expansions were like? Yeah, BioWare is aiming to NOT have that kind of environment around.

As to my access... unless 2hrs after announcement OF pre-orders is too late, I'll be in on the 13th. Which is bad in some ways, cause I have 2 finals on the 14th, and 2 more on the 15th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    if he actually remembered to input the "pre order" code into his account and didn't just assume pre ordering it automatically tied it to the account...
    yea , put in the code the second i got it lol.

EDIT: oh and thanks for all the answers guys, hopefully i get in around the 15th or 16th considering their servers reportedly can hold 100k+ ppl on them. and gl to everyone else getting in.
    Last edited by Goronpower; 2011-12-11 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockjaw Stephen Reid
    FAQ - Early Game Access is currently planned to be granted in waves, each day. We'll be detailing it as it happens.
    Intepret it as you like.

I redeemed the code Gamestop gave me on my recite on the 4th of September think Ill get 6-7 days?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    That would be cool for the later orders, but equally, not much of a staggered launch.

The purpose of Early Access is to get as many of the pre-orders spread out across in level ranges before launch, so everyone isn't piled into Origin Worlds and such.

Remember what launch day for WoW or it's expansions were like? Yeah, BioWare is aiming to NOT have that kind of environment around.

As to my access... unless 2hrs after announcement OF pre-orders is too late, I'll be in on the 13th. Which is bad in some ways, cause I have 2 finals on the 14th, and 2 more on the 15th.
    While still true, this is really reduced in TOR with instanced maps. When enough people log in, another instance is created so that EVERYONE isn't in the same place, even if on the same quest. I find it to be a really smart feature.

I personally think since its been 6 months since pre-orders have been available, and 7 days of early acess, depending on what month you got it, thats what day you will get in. With everyone getting in by day 6.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2011-12-11 at 08:14 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Yes and no as far as defeating the purpose, firstly lets take Wrath and Cata as examples, when those came out they both had 2 zones to choose from and besides the DK starting zone pretty much no phasing so you had how ever many people playing there level 70 or level 80 toons concentrated into 2 zones without phasing.

Now lets take into account a few things firstly being that rather then 2 zones to choose from there are 4 starting zones which even for a tutorial style starting zone are fairly large, though I don't know the actual size comparisons it felt like the starting Sith planet was as large as if not larger then the original STV back when you still didn't have mounts until after finishing up STV.

Secondly despite how many pre orders there may be you also have to think about how many of those may be a Christmas present which means those people may not even be getting on till the 26th ish.

And 3rd and most importantly ToR went with a DDO/GW style open world of if there are too many people in the same zone at the same time it has other "instanced" versions of the open world so that say there are 500 people on a planet it may be 5 instanced versions of the same planet of 100 people each which WoW never did despite having phasing (which made it annoying to try to summon people to ICC if you have 4 people all at the stone but none able to summon anyone because they are in different phases and so can't click on the summoning portal the other is trying to make)... these "instances" of the open world you will be able to switch between so that you can play with your friends in case they get tossed in a different "instance".

There starting zones won't be near as bad as WoW expansion releases because they are using what other games have been doing for a while now to help prevent the Vanilla Orgramar lag spike areas that Blizzard just chooses not to do for their own reasons (they may think it wouldn't feel as MMOy if you didn't get massive spikes near AHs or what not)... will they still be bad even with these measures? yes but not near as bad as they could be.

Deleted

that's not the purpose of early access - at all.

TOR uses multiple instances of the same zone whenever one phase is getting too populated, there will not ever be overcrowded starter zones. Sure, they will be busy, but when it becomes too much a new, fresh instance opens and all is good.

the purpose of early access is to ensure server stability and fill every server up evenly. And of course EA's shareholders are happy when a lot of people preorder

From what i understood in the BW replies of the last few days there is 7 days of early access and they can't predict when anyone will get an invite from the system, it will work like beta invites and it will at random invite X amount of people who have redeemed a pre-order code at a time. All that they say for certain is that everyone who pre-ordered will get in in no guarantied order.

I think they'll be cautious for the first couple of days and if everything runs smoothly then greatly increase the rate at which they allow people in, this may be wishful thinking as I'm looking at not seeing the game until after the 25th

You have absolutely nothing to base this on. they extended the early acces with 2 more days. It could be you are right and those two days are just to cope with the large flow. Or it could be they want to just get everyone with a preorder to atleast get some meaningfull early-acces time.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Deleted
    Nobody knows how the Early Access is going to be handled, so every 'fact' is as much bullshit as the next one. Check your mailbox starting the 13th and wait.

No one knows anything, and everyone is guessing. I don't know about you OP, but I don't take advice from people who have no clue what they are talking about and have absolutely nothing to base their opinion on.

Just wait and see. Patience is a long lost virtue it seems.