Need shadow help (pve)

So this is my alt and i just can seem to perform to my maximum (it seems compared to other priests). Ive read all the guides and apparently know what to do. I keep empowered shadows up the whole time, i cast mind blast on cooldown, i refresh VT and DP with one tick left on target, i multidot on fights where its possible but i just seem to be sub par. First off here is my armory:

Ok apparently it wont allow me to post any kind of link since im new, but my name is fascinate on lightbringer server.

Yes i know i have pvp shoulders, that is my one remaining upgrade i have from the new heroics (wont drop grr). It will actually be a ilvl downgrade so i figure a wash in DPS, maybe slight gain with proper enchant and reforge. But definitely is not my main problem here.

On the training dummy i pull between 16-17k over a long fight with around 10 million damage. My damage breakdowns are :

Mind flay 32%
    Mind blast 24%
    VT 19%
    SWP 11%
    DP 10%
    IMP DP 3%

I also have power auras set to go off when lightweave/torrent/volcano proc and i will refresh VT and DP then and also at the end of the durations, i dont refresh when only one or two of those proc, just when they all sync up.

And tips you all have for me? I did do 24k on ultraxion in LFR but i honestly think i can do better than that as i was out of the top 5.

Well, aside from the shoulders as you said, your gear looks ok. From the breakdown of your dummy dps your numbers look about right.

What I think is probably hurting you the most is the lack of T12 4 set or the 2+2 tier set combination. It actually carries quite a bit of a dps boost whichever you're using, maybe a couple of K depending on the boss. One thing that would also help is a couple of decent trinkets, I usually find they make a disproportionate amount of difference all other gear aside.

One other thing you might want to consider is that you're over hit cap. While hit sims as the highest stat weight in theory, in practice you can actually get away with being a couple of percent below the cap making more room for extra haste.

Other than that, I guess its just down to practice so good luck!

Thanks for your reply. One thing i didnt mention that i have been testing is lettiing mind flay run its full duration (when mind blast is on cooldown and dots dont need a refresh) or clipping it after the second tick. I have seen conflicting opinions on this and so far letting it run its full duration has yielded better results for me so far.

I am not sure what you mean about conflicting information about clipping MF or not... you really want to clip MF for anything else that you can be doing because every other spell we cast has a higher worth than MF does. Can you link to some of this other information you have read? I'd find it interesting to see what they are saying.

Anywho read the second post here to get some really good information about how to clip MF smartly