Deleted

Fraps Performance Question

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's possible to reduce performance strain when recording WoW on high res using fraps? (running at 30-60FPS, 1080p), If anyone has any info on this at all it would be a huge help.
    I've also heard that frapsing at full 1080p at 60fps is something like 600-700mb p/m on hard drive space so it would be ideal to have another HDD dedicated to this.

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Reducing performance strain while recording generally means reducing the Resolution to the lowest possible setting you can get away with.
    For example, if you absolutely need it to be Recorded in HD, use 1366 x 768 instead of 1920 x 1080.
    Also evaluate if you ACTUALLY NEED to record 60FPS, and weather you can use 25 or 30FPS instead.
    It is generally a good idea to use a separate high speed Hard Drive (7200RPM +) that isn't being used for anything else.

Other than that all you can really do is make sure that as few programs are running in the background as possible, and you have the best available CPU and Motherboard you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobox View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's possible to reduce performance strain when recording WoW on high res using fraps?
    1) set fraps framerate to 30fps, that's the maximum youtube supports anyway so no point going higher
    2) record to empty internal harddisc, not on the drive where windows and your games are
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    1) set fraps framerate to 30fps, that's the maximum youtube supports anyway so no point going higher
    it's a huge help for doing slowmo's

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    it's a huge help for doing slowmo's
    But dont help at all when the OP is having problems with too slow computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the quick reply's.

I don't think I explained it very well in my original post but I was wondering if recording from a separate 1TB 7200RPM HDD would put less strain on my SSD (Gaming drive)? I wouldn't have thought so due to the fact my CPU is still handling both of these drives and thus wouldn't really make a difference. Just thought I'd ask anyway :-)

Cheers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the quick reply's.

I don't think I explained it very well in my original post but I was wondering if recording from a separate 1TB 7200RPM HDD would put less strain on my SSD (Gaming drive)? I wouldn't have thought so due to the fact my CPU is still handling both of these drives and thus wouldn't really make a difference. Just thought I'd ask anyway :-)

Cheers.
    It shouldn't matter.... But you WILL run out of space on your SSD after a couple of mins... so recording to that is not advised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    It shouldn't matter.... But you WILL run out of space on your SSD after a couple of mins... so recording to that is not advised.
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick :P, I meant using fraps on my 1TB 7200RPM HDD to record WoW that is being run on my SSD to improve perfomance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you've got the wrong end of the stick :P, I meant using fraps on my 1TB 7200RPM HDD to record WoW that is being run on my SSD to improve perfomance.
    Which is the only way you will be able to record more than about 5mins....
    What I was saying, is that as it's an SSD it wouldn't make much difference in terms of performance since the Read/Write speed is high enough to cope with both sets of operations.

In summery:
    Run OS, WoW on the SSD. (It doesn't make any difference which drive you run Fraps from)
    Record to 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    In summery:
    Run OS, WoW on the SSD. (It doesn't make any difference which drive you run Fraps from)
    Record to 1TB 7200RPM HDD.
    For best possible frapsing speed, split the HDD into two roughly equal sized partitions and keep the first half always empty and reserved for video capture.

- empty because disc fragmentation slows the recording
    - first half because it's faster than second half
    Trolling should be.