Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help with Mindflay clipping

Hey guys, im sorry if there is already a thread about this, but i couldent seem to find it.
    I am currentlt playing shadow priest in raids and my guild have progressed to madness of deathwing. Dps seems fine, except on ultraxion witch i seem to be a little low on, around 22 k.
    My question is; What is the best method to get the most out of mindflay ticks?
    i am currently using this macro

*show tooltip
    /cast [nochanneling] Mind Flay

i ofc clip it the second mindblast comes off, and i reapply dots before they fall off. i Just need to know wether this macro is a dps loss, and should i do it differently?

I am not allowed to post links, so char name is Dionu on sylvanas EU and the guild is Wolkfpackgang
    suggestions on gear reforge ect. is welcome to.

Kind regards

That macro is good to make sure you don't cast a new mind flay over the last tick of a previous mind flay. However, it costs you casting time equal to the size of your latency every time you cast mind flay. If you have low latency, its not a bad way of making sure you don't overwrite ticks. If you have high latency however it can cost you a significant chunk of dps.

Ultraxion.

10 shadow priest.
    10 different levels of skills.
    10 different levels of gear.
    All of 10 @ 22K dps on recount.
    Imho something is wrong with damage meters, i just can't explain that.

Btw i think your doing works just fine.

Deleted
    Ty for the fast reply guys:P
    I have a pretty low latency in raids, have 20 mbits internet connection. I thought i might be a fine macro. Im just curious cous i have seen some vids where shadow priests are clipping their mind flays after the 2. tick and then doing a full channel after, is this some secret way to gain ekstra dps?.

And btw, is my gear about right?
    and one more thing, could you tell me what the name is for the name plates where you can see the dots on enemys that is not your target. think its called tidy plates or something?
    oh and the 22 k dps was without dark intent or 10 % spellpower. no lock or ele shaman. Sucks

Mind Flay no longer clips the last tick. Get rid of the macro, and simply re-cast Mind Flay after the second-to-last tick (say, with half a second remaining). Just like with DoTs, you'll get the usual 3 Mind Flay ticks *plus* the last tick of the previous Mind Flay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorl View Post
    Mind Flay no longer clips the last tick. Get rid of the macro, and simply re-cast Mind Flay after the second-to-last tick (say, with half a second remaining). Just like with DoTs, you'll get the usual 3 Mind Flay ticks *plus* the last tick of the previous Mind Flay.
    So i should not use the macro and clip it every time between the 2.-3. tick? or clip it once,and the do a full channel?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkeren View Post
    So i should not use the macro and clip it every time between the 2.-3. tick? or clip it once,and the do a full channel?
    Clip it every time before the last tick, and clip it anytime anything else needs to be done (cast MB, refresh VT/DP)... basically you always want to clip MF these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Clip it every time before the last tick, and clip it anytime anything else needs to be done (cast MB, refresh VT/DP)... basically you always want to clip MF these days.
    Yeah pretty much this. If you want better control over clipping download Gnosis castbar, it accounts for latency and changes in tick points based off clipping, unlike some of it's counterparts (quartz etc)

Actually I had heard that Quartz has since updated and will adjust when the ticks happen now. However, I haven't tried it since I have had no issues with gnosis so I haven't felt compelled to switch back.

Don't worry about clipping a MF with a MF, just recast it when you feel like it. Costs so little mana that it doent' matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Don't worry about clipping a MF with a MF, just recast it when you feel like it. Costs so little mana that it doent' matter at all.
    I imagine he was more worried about damage loss than mana loss, which is why he asked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    I imagine he was more worried about damage loss than mana loss, which is why he asked.
    Yes the mana was not the problem:P hehe, ty for alle the answers guys, i will get rid of the macro then and start clipping, raids tomorow and i hope to get som nice tier loot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Lycky him he won't lose any damage by clipping it either after the first tick as the seccond then

It only carries over the last tick, so if you clip it after the first tick but before the second you lose one tick.

Deleted
    If you have quartz addon, it shows on the cast bar whenever there's a tick. Could be worth looking into, so you can see when it ticks.

Its impossible to clip MF with another MF.
    That macro was NEVER good anyway.

It only carries over the last tick, so if you clip it after the first tick but before the second you lose one tick.
    It does not loose a tick at as the next damageing tick will come at the exact same time in that case to. You do however loose a tick castbar wise.

So: Mana lost? yes
    Damage lost? no

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    It does not loose a tick at as the next damageing tick will come at the exact same time in that case to. You do however loose a tick castbar wise.

So: Mana lost? yes
    Damage lost? no
    o.O

Each cast is 3 ticks.
    If you recast after the first tick but before the second, you now have a cast with four ticks going. Making the the total ticks that happen in two casts 5 instead of 6. If you keep that behavior up it just get5s worse from there.

You may argue since they happen at the same rate it's moot, but it seems rather pointless and a waste in general to recast anytime earlier than right before the last tick.

o.O

Each cast is 3 ticks.
    If you recast after the first tick but before the second, you now have a cast with four ticks going. Making the the total ticks that happen in two casts 5 instead of 6. If you keep that behavior up it just get5s worse from there.

You may argue since they happen at the same rate it's moot, but it seems rather pointless and a waste in general to recast anytime earlier than right before the last tick.
    It will get worse from a mana point of view, but say you clip your MF after the first tic, you now have a "cast" with 4 ticks. Now, clip that bar again and you'll have a bar with 5 and blablabla. You will not, however, remove any tick from your mind flay that would have caused any damage.

It's a aweful waste of mana, yes. But it's doable and never a dps loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clipping MF won't cause you mana issues we stop having this kind of issues long ago.

On the subject just clip it when you want to re apply your dots, letting a dot fall off to earn a MF tick is DPS loss, it's that simple.