Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SteelSeries WoW Mouse & SWTOR

Has anyone in the SWTOR beta tried using thier WoW MMO mouse. I heard that macros dont work but has anyone tested if you can set the WoW mouse buttons to say do simple things like /click 1 /click 2 things of that nature. I am hoping so or im in a heap of trouble for healing and id like to know before the game launches so I can buy a new MMO mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnx View Post
    Has anyone in the SWTOR beta tried using thier WoW MMO mouse. I heard that macros dont work but has anyone tested if you can set the WoW mouse buttons to say do simple things like /click 1 /click 2 things of that nature. I am hoping so or im in a heap of trouble for healing and id like to know before the game launches so I can buy a new MMO mouse.
    Honestly I would just go with a quality well built mouse with great software/macro support that is quaranteed to serve you well in SWTOR or any game.
    Logitech G700 or G500, you can't go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have the WoW mouse so unfortunately I can't help you with the macro issue.
    But I can suggest an awesome MMO mouse: The Corsair Vengeance M90
    Gosh I love this mouse.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-12-12 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnx View Post
    the razer naga is supposed to have a swtor version, so I am sure it would work better. IF you are set on the wow mouse though you can use the out of game menu for it and set the buttons to say your number pad, then keybind stuff to your number pad in game, it is what my brother does for any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno if macros work, didn't test that, but all the buttons seemed to work just fine 2 weekends ago :-D

I used the old SS WOW mouse and it didnt work at all. I heard (to late to test) that you could macro the software of the mouse to f1-f12 and then set the in game actioon keys to f1-f12, but honestly it had so little compatibility that I am going to buy a new mouse today for TOR. I actually have a thread up trying to choose between the g500 and the Naga.

Also yes the Naga does have a tor version that doesn't seem to have any extra functions and costs 2x the money 70-80 for the naga and 130 for the tor naga, IMO not worth it

WoW mouse was a huge waste of money for me. Cheap construction, too bulky. I switched back to the Logitech G400, the MX518's replacement, far superior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you looking to buy a new mouse, or do you already have this model?

If you're looking to buy a new mouse, I'd suggest going with one geared towards generic MMOs.
    If you've got this one, I'm fairly sure the TOR UI allows for generic keybinding, so you can set the abilities you want to use. Keep in mind though, there's no macro functionality in-game yet.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

I use the legendary wow mouse and I just set up my 2nd profile to load when swtor.exe is opened so it switches automatically.

Then just set up new macros and bind them to keys you never use. Like the side buttons for example: you can create a new macro, select the no delay box and then press backspace and save it. Then go to keybinds in the game and select your (for example) center bottom action bar 10 and press your mouse button. It'll say backspace and will trigger when you hit that mouse button.

Personally I use

=
    backspace
    alt-backspace
    shift backspace
    -
    shift 9
    shift 0

etc

to bind the 4 side buttons since I never use those keys in-game.

All you have to do is go into the menu for the mouse (outside of game, like the actual mouse program) and assign buttons you want to keybinds.

example - mouse 6 is shift+1, mouse 7 is shift+2 etc etc.

Then go into swtor, go to keybinds and assign shift+1, shift +2 etc to your action bars.

Thank you everyone, Most were very informative,

I have the same mouse and couldn't get most of the buttons to work in Beta. I couldn't get any of the top buttons to work and only 2 of the thumb buttons. I too am looking for info on how to make this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki View Post
    I have the same mouse and couldn't get most of the buttons to work in Beta. I couldn't get any of the top buttons to work and only 2 of the thumb buttons. I too am looking for info on how to make this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    All you have to do is go into the menu for the mouse (outside of game, like the actual mouse program) and assign buttons you want to keybinds.

example - mouse 6 is shift+1, mouse 7 is shift+2 etc etc.

Then go into swtor, go to keybinds and assign shift+1, shift +2 etc to your action bars.
    that's how

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I don't have the WoW mouse so unfortunately I can't help you with the macro issue.
    But I can suggest an awesome MMO mouse: The Corsair Vengeance M90
    Gosh I love this mouse.
    Hey Sham, have you gotten the M90 to work properly in SWTOR? I have macroed the thumbkeys to the '6' through '+' keys but the game doesn't seem to recognize them. It works on WoW.

If you have it working, how did you macro your thumbkeys?

Sorry for the shameless threadsteal and thanks in advance!

//Algor

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post

That's what I did, but it doesn't work in the live game (I'm playing early access). Though the macro binds appear in Notepad.

This sucks. I really wanted to use this mouse.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 10:04 PM ----------

Also just tried on non-Numpad keys (CTRL+1 on the top row). Nothing in-game.
    Same. Nada.

Deleted
    I mapped button 13 to "M" but in game it is not recognising that as opening the map. Had the same issue with skyrim, to a certain extent. When I spam the button on notepad, it prints out M's but in game it doesn't seem to do anything. Really annoying. Only the first 5 buttons work reliably.

For the Steelseries - Cataclysm mouse all you need to do is the following.

Open the mouse software.

Choose a profile at the top.

Open 'Button assignment' on the right.

Go to 'Custom Macros' and click 'New'.

Assign your macro a name, click the 'No Delay' box, left click in the big white box and then press what ever key you want to bind. (Repeat this step for all buttons you want)

Untick the 'Enable in-game mode.

Left click the red box for the button you want to assign a key and choose the macro you made for that key from the 'Button Assignment' on the right, click 'Apply' to confirm after each button you do.

Open TOR and go to keybinds, your mouse buttons should now work as if you pressed the keys on your keyboard.

If you followed that to the letter it should work, if it doesn't then i have no idea. =/

Do not buy the WoW MMO Mouse (big one, that looks like scale armor)!

I did it and i regret it. Glad i could return it.
    It looks great but its actually unplayable because to hold this mouse with your hand, you have to press the 3 big-finger buttons! So those buttons are useless, unless you plan to move your mouse very little (which is only probably usable in low-end PVE).

I suggest you look at either Wow MMo Cataclysm mouse or Logitech G700. I tried both and both are usable (aka you can hold the mouse comfortably without having to press random buttons with your fingers). But i suggest G700 since it has WAY MORE usable buttons, in fact, EACH button is perfectly fine and useable.

Logitech G700 software is fine (it has ridiculous idiocity - that it is bound to a PC, if you want to change macros or settings on another PC you have to delete the settings in the mouse and start from scratch, that means that you have to write all those macros or settings for your mouse down on the paper for the case when you have to tweak it on another PC or you reinstall your system, but thats the only flaw i found so far), it allows you to do whatever you want (bind button to mouse function like DPI change or profile change, bind button to any keyboard or mouse button, bind button to macro, whatever) and is very easy to use (except that one problem with setting it up on another PC).

The mouse stores all its settings inside so you can take it whereever you want and use it w/o setting it up or installing additional software.

Its hybrid wireless + wired. You can charge it by plugging it with a cable and it makes it transfer data over cable to (making it a wired mouse). You can disconnect cable and it transitions to wireless mode w/o any lag. You can store the wireless unit inside the mouse! So you can travel with your mouse and use it as wireless w/o even carrying anything else with you (very convinient, though you'd have to bring extra AAA batteries or a charger with you anyway).

Overall its just a fantastic product from Logitech. The ergonomic is insanely great too.
    The mouse is just built RIGHT. Form factor is GREAT. It is very comfortable!
    It has four very easilly usable buttons for the big finger. They are easy to press and easy to find the correct button from the four, absolutely zero problem with that.
    It also has three buttons for the index finger that are very easy to use (although a bit less convinient than those for the big finger).
    It also has a VERY cool scroll wheel - in that you can "detach" its tractor. So you can choose to switch instantly between a normal "percise" scrol whell that clicks, or a totally free scroll that continues to roll for like 20 seconds or more if you let it go in one direction.

You can think that NAGA or WOW MMO feature more buttons but honestly, i had Naga and out of 14 buttons only ~7 are usable and ~2 are kinda-usable. And all those 7 are for one finger and arent as convinient as Logitech's buttons. Definetly go for G700 over NAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    It doesn't work, sadly.
    Did for me during both stress test weekends, unticking 'Enable in-game mode' is one thing i forgot on several occasions after playing wow though which makes it not work, other than that I really have no idea why it wouldn't work for you, as far as i can tell it has to be on your end though as the game would have no clue that you used your mouse and not your keyboard with those macros setup.

Does it work if you open notepad and use your mouse buttons there?

I think the difference is between the orignal Steelseries Wow MMO mouse and the Cataclysm mouse. The cataclysm one seems to be able to store the macros internally.