Deleted

What is the most lightweight event frequency to use in a raid?

I need an event that happens rarely enough but frequently enough to be used in a raid. (the application is a trigger on an auras addon)

I currently use UNIT_STATS and PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD but I'm worried that UNIT_STATS is updated too frequently. Is there something better inflicting less load?

The use is: querying stats on a char.

Deleted
    Why don't you simply use a timed OnUpdate? Unless I'm not quite understanding what you want.

Deleted
    It's for use on an addon, I can't make global loops.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Your addon can totally use a locally timed OnUpdate... how many seconds do you want between updates?

The below code creates a frame that does stuff every 5 seconds. The "elapsed" thing only updates on full seconds, afaik, so it can't be used for, say, 2.5 second updates... but oh well, in that case, 2 or 3 should work fine.
    Code:
    local a = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, "UIParent")
    local timer = 0

a:SetScript("OnUpdate", function(self, elapsed)
      if (timer >= 5) then                    -- Check every 5 second (approx)
        -- stuff you want goes here
        timer = 0
      else
        timer = timer + elapsed
      end
    end)

Deleted
    arg2 of OnUpdate passes the exact fractional time passed in seconds. You can specify any delay.

You could also use an animation timer (I like those ).

But really, if you want to query stats on a char, use UNIT_STATS, it doesn't fire _that_ often, and it's just the right event for that. You'd want your addon to update if stats change, right? So use this event.

Deleted
    It's not my addon, it's weakauras.

edit: ^ ye, it doesn't fire that often, but .. it may fire often. I mean, almost half the effects in this game affect stats.

edit: I had thought of the 'changed target' event but then again that might fire too scarcely.

edit: It's probably best to use stats in the end though since I try to query stats in this instance.
    Last edited by mmoc5a44133bd1; 2011-12-13 at 10:03 AM.

Weelll, it only fires if the primary stats change, right? Buffs and such are applied at the beginning of the fight, so there isn't really a lot going on, except for death+rebuff, trinket procs... can't really think of a lot else. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, maybe someone has a good idea?

Deleted
    Well, yeah, there are the various procs of enchants, procs of 2-3 abilities in each class//spec, there may be some raid-wide bufs because of other classes or the encounter, yeah, it's not that much but I was wondering if I can avoid it with fewer.

It's probably though a good solution since I'm trying to track stats anyway.

What you could do is put the following into a macro, execute it ingame and see for yourself how often UNIT_STATS triggers (drycoded!):

/run local f = MyUS or CreateFrame("Frame","MyUS"); f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_STATS"); f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(self,event,unit) print("UNIT_STATS") end)

Deleted
    It appears to be every 1-2 seconds. [or more, depending on class/other conditions]

By the way it appears to only affect 'base' stats, not even stats like crit rating.
    Last edited by mmoc5a44133bd1; 2011-12-13 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    It appears to be every 1-2 seconds. [or more, depending on class/other conditions]
    And raid size, of course But 1-2s is really not a lot, and since you want to catch the changes of your stats...

By the way it appears to only affect 'base' stats, not even stats like crit rating.
    That's what I meant by "primary stats". I have not found an event for the change of secondaries, so one would probably need a throttled ON_UPDATE or an animation timer for such a thing.