Question Understanding the Guild Wars 2 Story

Simply put, is it possible to understand everything properly without playing through the first game, and just by reading through the wiki's and such?

It's looking like far more attention is paid to their story than to WoW's.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    There are 3 novels you might like.

"Ghosts of Ascalon" gives you an insight into the races and their relations to
    "Edge of Destiny" follows the guild that will play a part in your personal story
    Yet to be released is "Sea of Sorrows" which will bridge the gap between GW1 and GW2

Thank you, I'll have to read them!
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    There's this article too about the bridge between GW1 and GW2
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_...t_of_the_World

The wikis can accurately cover the story of GW1 if you're interested, but I'm not really thinking that it's necessary, unless that's just to your interest. Personally, I like GW1 well enough that I enjoy playing it off and on, here and there, to pursue the little quests and stories, as well as the Campaign stories, but that's likely a taste issue. I've no clue whether you'd like GW1's gameplay enough that you'd enjoy it enough to experience the stories firsthand.

A thought occurs though, I have to recommend that, whatever the way you choose to access the stories, you do so in the order of Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and finally Eye of the North. Especially since Nightfall reveals information that lends light to why exactly some aspects of Prophecies and Factions occurred. Eye of the North is your introduction to the new races, and why there might be a lack of a particular race in GW2 that was present in GW.

Then of course there are the novels, I've not touched on them, but as mentioned above, one is meant to be a bridge between GW1 and GW2, so, if you're interested, at the very least that's something to look forward to.
    Last edited by Purple; 2011-12-18 at 11:08 AM.

reading from the official wiki should suffice.
    i think ultimately the story can be distilled into "heroes from different races banding together to fight the evil threat".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Simply put, is it possible to understand everything properly without playing through the first game, and just by reading through the wiki's and such?
    Yes, I think it is.

And if you read the books like Mif suggested, I think you have more knowledge about the lore than most Gw1 players.

Read the 3 books. While they're certainly not at the pinnacle of great English literature, they're better than you'd expect for a video-game-based series.

While reading a wiki might be good for a quick 20-min overview, if you truly want a feel for the world that GW2 is taking place in, the books will really help. You're better off spending 15 hours on the books than spending 15 hours in GW1, that's for sure. And the books convey more subtle nuances of the GW2 universe than a wiki ever could. A wiki is like reading an encylopedia entry, but the books are like actually meeing and adventuring with the different races, classes, and characters from the GW2.

You might actually learn more about the GW2 universe from reading the books than actually playing GW2. At least that's how it is with WOW, I find.