Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How does the game feel to someone who likes mmos but is not that big into star wars

kind of on the fence here

you don't like star wars?

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    you don't like star wars?
    Believe it or not, they exist.

OT, if you don't like Star Wars you won't like this game. It's very heavily story based and revolves around the Star Wars lore. And if you don't like it, you're out something like $60 plus the subscription for one month. If you really want to try it, wait for the price to go down.

Alternatively, http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata is doing playthroughs of the early game. Just type in SWTOR into the search bar on his channel and watch a few videos. See if it's what you like.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2011-12-13 at 05:58 AM.

I'm not a SW fan, really.

I like Bioware's work and I enjoy sci-fi MMOs (like Phantasy Star Online) so yeah, I'll enjoy this one despite not liking SW that much.

Also, it should be noted that the SW expanded universe is 1,000X more interesting than that of the original movies. KOTOR alone was a vast improvement over the originals.

---------- Post added 2011-12-13 at 12:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Believe it or not, they exist.

OT, if you don't like Star Wars you won't like this game. It's very heavily story based and revolves around the Star Wars lore.
    SW "lore" has little to nothing to do with enjoying the game. It stands perfectly on its own without giving a rat's ass about SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post

I like Bioware's work and I enjoy sci-fi MMOs (like Phantasy Star Online) so yeah, I'll enjoy this one despite not liking SW that much.

Also, it should be noted that the SW expanded universe is 1,000X more interesting than that of the original movies. KOTOR alone was a vast improvement over the originals.

SW "lore" has little to nothing to do with enjoying the game. It stands perfectly on its own without giving a rat's ass about SW.
    Uh, okay.

Sure, if you want to stab your eyes out for the 100-200 hours it takes to level, that applies.

Uh, okay.

Sure, if you want to stab your eyes out for the 100-200 hours it takes to level, that applies.
    I'm sure it's possible to enjoy TOR's story even if you're not a fan of SW.
    How could you not!

i am not a star wars fan, i have never seen any of the movies. i dont know anything about the story except jedi is good and darth vader is bad. i still thought the game is very addictive. i had a lot of fun playing it.

I agree, KOTOR and Old Republic Era > Movie Star Wars and such

makes me much more interested. more potential. less rules.

Well I guess it would depend on what it is about Star Wars that you don't like, if there is anything specific.
    Last edited by TheDred1; 2011-12-13 at 06:09 AM.
    Reign In Power: WoW | SWTOR

Quote Originally Posted by leetsushi View Post
    I'm sure it's possible to enjoy TOR's story even if you're not a fan of SW.
    How could you not!
    Because the story of TOR is about Star Wars?

Thought that was pretty clear.

Uh, okay.

George Lucas INTENDED to bring a new generation of star wars fans. ones who are new to star wars and never seen the movies

Uh, okay.

1. I don't think it takes that long to level to max.

2. The SW "lore" in the game isn't so inclusive as to exclude people who don't like SW.

You don't need to know SW lore to appreciate good storytelling for the quests and whatnot. The NPCs don't sit there and say "WOOKIE, LIGHTSABER, JEDI, DRIOD, BLAH, BLAH." like you'd probably imagine them to do.

Uh, okay.

Just an opinion, but I believe you can enjoy the game on its own as an MMO, ans a story teller, and for its own gameplay. This is coming from someone who casually enjoys star wars though (movies are ok, played Kotor 1 and 2). Not all of the story requires prior knowledge of lore, just know that there is a war between the 2 sides and you are good to go. The game does a good enough job of explaining important people from what I saw in beta

10+ Year Old Account
    The only things that I really liked about Star Wars pre-TOR were Yoda and lightsabers.
    I like sandwiches

yeah just don't know never really got into it. I've seen the movies and thats about it. thank you larynx for the link will be sure to check it out

Because the story of TOR is about Star Wars?
    What are you talking about, here?

If we mean the original SW movies, no, ToR is NOT about that SW.

ToR takes place within the universe of the SW movies, but thousands of years earlier.

ToR is as much about the original SW as a story about Harry Potter's great X50 grandfather would be about the modern HP books.

Also, 90% of WoW players couldn't give less of a shit about the storyline. Just food for thought.

Wow amazing how many people on the forums I've seen saying "I'm not a big Star Wars fan" or "I haven't seen any of the movies". It's like you're part of a different species.

Well that's it, my generation is dead and George Lucas killed Star Wars.

Actually I would be one of those "sacrilegious" people that really does not find star wars as a universe all that compelling, I won't say I hate it, but certainly it is not what draws me in about this game.

As to how the game feels....in my opinion its pretty simple, take one part WoW, one part random bioware rpg (Jade Empire/KotOR 1/2, or Mass effect(minus the fps ofc)/etc..), mix well, serve.

All in all, pretty sure its going to be a love/hate game, many people will love just how much effort the game has in story, others will opt for a "plz stfu npc and let me kill stuff alrdy" approach and be annoyed by it, in short if you have always played a MMO and wanted more story than "Go kill 10 wolves" you will love it.

For reference sake I myself managed to get to Level 34 as a Bounty Hunter during the beta and was amazed at how much story it has for a mmorpg and people will try to say "NOO its nothing like WoW!!!11!!1!!" but really game-play wise, really, it is, at least a large amount, no I am not saying that's bad either, just it is what it is.

Though something to point out, as I said I was playing a Bounty Hunter the entire beta and that certainly helps to avoid the Star Wars-ness (read as Jedi/Sith) a huge amount as you have really little interaction story-wise with them as a BH, and this is likely different with an actual Jedi/Sith class obviously, IE if you want to not deal with the Sith/Jedi lets say BS, then playing a Bounty Hunter/Trooper or Imperial Agent/Smuggler would likely reduce Jedi/Sith interaction a lot. (I point this out as really what annoys me most about star wars is ...you guessed it, Jedi and Sith which are ofc what Star Wars is iconic for)

tl;dr
    In short, not playing a Jedi/Sith character in my experience helps to curb the "Star Wars" level a very large amount, and the game is like most every other MMO just with the story taken up to eleven.
    Last edited by isda187; 2011-12-13 at 04:41 PM.

I don't think your prior knowledge (or lack there of) will matter much. I mean how many of the 12 million that played WoW knew the entire lore behind it? I mean yea some did and had played the originals but people still enjoy it anyway. Also I think this game is amazing based on how it immerses you, don't get me wrong WoW did a good job and other mmo's as well like Aion and Vindictus, but the whole picking your answers and having a light side and dark side, it's pretty amazing. I'd say if you have the cash then try it out or find a friend whose getting it, though I doubt that after 5 minutes of playing you will want to quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post

QFT. Story is story, it's no big deal in video games. As long as it plays well and has a great community, that's all the matters in the end. That being said, KOTOR was pretty good for a video game story. Not even close to the movies, just set in the same universe.