Thread: Is TOR for me?

Is TOR for me?

As an ex WoW player I have quite a dilemma. I am not sure if I want to start new MMO or not. I love end game raids and dungeons that are really HARD I also love to have purpose, a goal to achieve. I don't want all the rewards just handed to me in 15 minutes of playtime, I actually wanna work for my stuff. Is TOR able to delive that or is it just a copy of Wotlk/Cata WoW which is - no skill, no time involved = free epix?

So basicly is this game as easy as nowadays WoW in terms of workinh for rewards or is it actually time involving and challenging?

Deleted
    SWTOR is a amazing game in my opinion. It is story line bases which gives you more fun than ever. Each class has it's own quests which makes you learn more about your own class. Furthermore it has some excellent raids and pvp. Live stream: http://www.livestream.com/swtorlive

im in a similiar boat to OP in terms of background, quit wow around a year ago, not sure if i want to play another mmo. but after playing alot of fps/rts and ringle player rpgs i realised i enjoy mmo's the most.
    However when i started playing wow i was a teenager studying with no dependants, raiding every night of the week and chasing world dragons or BC server/region firsts had no effect bar me not going out that night. Now with kids and a job i feel dirty wasting more then a couple hours on any given night if it doesnt result in something worthwhile.
    I think star wars from what ive seen has enough content to keep people occupied and having fun while also being a new game so people like myself feel like if i dont log on one weekend my group of online friends arent going to replace me permanently coz the game is so easy im disposable with someone who hit max lvl this week and spent 100 hours in dungeons this week to get all his epics.

edit: when i mean something worthwhile, i mean building towards something, i dont mean if i dont get an epic/boss down/2500 in 2 hours im pissed. But i feel like if sometimes its required to play in excess of 5 hours straight to accomplish things and any less is a waste of time.
    Last edited by mickx; 2011-12-13 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    What I found whilst playing the beta, ToR is a gamers game, If you have some time on our hands and fancy a good story, With fun combat which plays smooth and tight & looks very aesthetic then ToR is for you, If you have played Mass Effect and Loved it and wanted the story to continues forever! With more Character depth & Crafting Abilities all wrapped up in an MMO world Then ToR is for you...

I played WoW for 5 years, Stopped 2 weeks after Cata Came out, Tried Rift go to lvl 37 and was bored silly, so I Tried DCUO go to lvl 30 in 5 days and was bored silly, Played ToR in the beta Go to lvl 20 and had a blast and bought the game there and then, it was the best 20 lvl's of any game that I've played since Frogger on my ZX81...

ToR is very Story based, and the " Get on with it " will kick in if you're pressed for time while playing or impatient.

Buy it you will not be disappointed -trust me...<- Because Random internet person says so

Deleted
    Don't get hyped on the story. The pre-50 gameplay is the standard "kill ten rats, click 3 objects" grindfest, masked under tons of cutscenes. Most of the content is shared between the classes of the same faction, so don't believe people who say that there are 8 separate storylines.

As to the endgame, there's currently 1 raid that I'm aware of and a couple of dungeons. It's the standard WoW fare, clean instances, get purple items. Nothing more, nothing less.

OP, how about you see for yourself instead of having players with varied opinions try to sell it to you?
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwalker View Post
    Don't get hyped on the story. The pre-50 gameplay is the standard "kill ten rats, click 3 objects" grindfest, masked under tons of cutscenes.
    That is like saying "don't get hyped on the story of War and peace, it is the same old black letters on white paper masked as a Tolstoy masterpiece".

Deleted
    All i can say is don't bother if you work more than 6-7 hours a day and have a life. No disrespect to the game but 250+ hours to get max level isn't a game for those who game casually. I work a total of 60 hours per week 10 hours per day 6 days a week. my job is demanding so I enjoy my personal gaming time but I do not have the time to put into a game that take 3 hours to reach level 6. honestly it's a great game I played in one of the tester weekends before realising it wasnt for me purely because of the time it takes to do things and no im not some casual nab before quitting wow I was in the top guild of my server clearing all HC content and was at first looking forward to TOR until I realised how time reliant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwalker View Post
    Don't get hyped on the story. The pre-50 gameplay is the standard "kill ten rats, click 3 objects" grindfest, masked under tons of cutscenes. Most of the content is shared between the classes of the same faction, so don't believe people who say that there are 8 separate storylines.

As to the endgame, there's currently 1 raid that I'm aware of and a couple of dungeons. It's the standard WoW fare, clean instances, get purple items. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Yes there are shared side quests, the class story quests are unique to your class though.

There is only one raid in, but more end-game content is going to be released within a month of release.

They have stated that they understand there are people who will focus on one char, get it to 50 and want things to do and they plan on releasing content for these people. Unlike most MMORPG's their design team is not shrinking after release. They are keeping the entire design team on and plan to have updates often.

From what I understand the content will also be harder than WoW's current content. Some people at max level in beta have said end-game difficulty is more on par with BC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by R0AM3R View Post
    All i can say is don't bother if you work more than 6-7 hours a day and have a life. No disrespect to the game but 250+ hours to get max level isn't a game for those who game casually. I work a total of 60 hours per week 10 hours per day 6 days a week. my job is demanding so I enjoy my personal gaming time but I do not have the time to put into a game that take 3 hours to reach level 6. honestly it's a great game I played in one of the tester weekends before realising it wasnt for me purely because of the time it takes to do things and no im not some casual nab before quitting wow I was in the top guild of my server clearing all HC content and was at first looking forward to TOR until I realised how time reliant it is.
    250 hours total which can be taken at your leisure. Since the game is all story driven you could treat your lvling experience as episodic content. Play when you can and enjoy the story line. ABSOLUTELY ZERO rush to get to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromonomo View Post
    As an ex WoW player I have quite a dilemma. I am not sure if I want to start new MMO or not. I love end game raids and dungeons that are really HARD I also love to have purpose, a goal to achieve. I don't want all the rewards just handed to me in 15 minutes of playtime, I actually wanna work for my stuff. Is TOR able to delive that or is it just a copy of Wotlk/Cata WoW which is - no skill, no time involved = free epix?

So basicly is this game as easy as nowadays WoW in terms of workinh for rewards or is it actually time involving and challenging?
    Not sure if trolling or serious brand new account with only one post?

But tbh, buy and try it. Thats all I have to say.

Deleted
    Tried the game and to be honest it looked boring. If you aware of player base it will be huge considering how many SW fans out there, as for me I don't care about SW and never liked it, so the game wasn't "that great". You can try to watch hundreds gameplay videos on youtube to make your choice. If I were you, I would stick to WoW and Rift, but we all have different opinions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Low level content is certainly harder than you're used to from WoW, and i assume the same counts for endgame.
    At level 4 or 5 or so you get your 1st group quest, which you can hardly solo. Later on you'll get 4 player quests as well, those are just impossible to solo.
    Also the 'dungeons' (flashpoints) are harder than normals in wow. You actually have to use some tactics for some bosses on normals!

The storytelling in the game is also awesome BTW.
    The game is very much like WoW mechanic wise and has better graphics, its essentially WoW, but better