Deleted

why my adblocker is enabled on MMO-champion

today i tried a global disable on my adblocker. 3 hours later, i reenabled it.

why? because so many sites actually visually modify their pages to accomodate ads to the extent that certain elements become so warped that they're almost useless.

case in point: MMO-champion frontpage. the below screenshots should show the issue clearly:

this is the frontpage without ads:

http://i.imgur.com/Rvlp4.png

this is the frontpage WITH ads:

http://i.imgur.com/H01c3.jpg

can you see my issue? on the page without ads, the content box has a nice little under 9 tab width, and the recent activity box is easily readable with a 3 tab width. on the page with ads, the content box is reduced to a 7 tab width, and the recent activity box has been reduced to 2 tabs. i didn't change the amount of tabs, i didn't change my resolution, all i did was change my adblock settings. so because of the ads, i suddenly lost 2/9th of my effective screen realestate. and i can even explain why: because the ads for some reason add an unused black bar that's a tab wide to the left and right of the images.

that's right, you don't even need to get rid of your ads, you just need to get rid of the black bars on the edges screen. I know you need the ad revenue and i respect that, but that's no excuse to suddenly replace 2/9th of your content box with useless black bars. that's like a billboard that decides to cut the left and right 9th of the board so they can show the wall behind it.

anyway, this is just my honest opinion. i'm not against ads IF they're non-intrusive. this ad is rather intrusive.

15+ Year Old Account
    The site skin was enabled in one case and wouldn't have been there in the adblocked case even if there was no adblock. Even if you use adblock when a site skin is scheduled, you'll still get the unfortunate smooshing effect.

I don't have any control over the ads personally, and I know the smooshing effect is a pain; it's just the necessary evil to keep the site running as large as it is with hosting costs and so on.