[Books] Lord of the Flies

So, for English, I have to do a Symbolism Project for my final, and it's on the character Piggy. Basically, I have to choose an object that symbolizes Piggy, but it has to be creative. It can't really be a light bulb, for getting good ideas, or glasses, for knowledge. To anybody who has read this book, does anybody have any thoughts on an object that symbolizes Piggy? Thanks in advance!
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

A pig?...

10 chars

Not based off his name, but based off of what he does. I don't have a creative bone in my body, that's why I'm asking on here :/
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Draw his head and slit it rational and irrational feelings flying out of it?
    Make his glasses one side reflecting the Barbarism of the situation AKA pigs head, and the other the something Civil? showing how he is thorn between the rational and irrational?
    Last edited by ADman319; 2011-12-14 at 03:00 AM.
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to tell you what object you should pick because, frankly, that would be cheating.
    I will, however, offer this advice instead.

Start by thinking about the character. What characterizes him? What does he do and how does he act?
    Now, think about where you might find such a person in real life, like, what profession would such a person
    be drawn to? Now, what tools does such a person need to do his job, would any of these fit the bill for
    your assignment?

Not saying you have to do it exactly like this but it's a way of thinking that might help you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or if u want something more dramatic, Shoe box with a rock in it you lift the rock and red spot under it.
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

While all the other boys (excluding Simon) reverted to their savage instincts, Piggy remained logical throughout the book. In the end he was destroyed by the savages. Try to find something that you can link to this. My first though would be the glasses, to represent his intelligence, but an argument could be that they were halfway destroyed by Simon early in the book, while Piggy was consistently able to keep a logical attitude throughout the book, regardless of the situation. A real key here will be creativity. Trying to link two somewhat related things can be difficult without coming up with examples from the book that can be interpreted differently than what one would assume is the meaning.

Well, Piggy was the most rational and intelligent character... he had a neat-o way of saying things... asthma... absolute devotion to the conch/order...
    Mayhaps you can think of something from that? A big part of the book was civility/barbarism.

Same as others I'll offer some guidance but not an answer:

Consider each of the main characters a certain 'aspect' of society, one may represent order, another science try and figure out which aspects Piggy represents and base your project around those. Cheers.

A young tree.

Sure in the knowledge that it must grow towards the sun, to weak to hold steady in the wind. Ultimately toppled by me practicing my rear leg kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    I'm not going to tell you what object you should pick because, frankly, that would be cheating.
    I will, however, offer this advice instead.

Start by thinking about the character. What characterizes him? What does he do and how does he act?
    Now, think about where you might find such a person in real life, like, what profession would such a person
    be drawn to? Now, what tools does such a person need to do his job, would any of these fit the bill for
    your assignment?

Not saying you have to do it exactly like this but it's a way of thinking that might help you out.
    It wouldn't be cheating, as were in groups, but my group members all consist of idiots who don't give a fuck about that class and won't do their project, so I just told the teacher I'm going to do it on my own, but still help them out a little.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly say the sow (the mother pig), not because of his name though. He's the most rational person on the island and is the only one who consistently cared about getting off safely. In the same way, he's the "mother" of the boys on the island by providing the voice of reason for any issues. While he isn't listened to, he still cares about the safety of others, especially that one kid who's in charge (can't remember the name), even through the insults. A mother's advice is not always heeded, yet she will never give up on her children. Piggy never gave up on that one kid or on getting off the island safely, and that's what got him killed in the end. He was a mother to them, just like how the conch is a symbol of authority, how Jack is a symbol of barbarianism and savagery, how Roger was pure evil (and probably), and how Simon was the Christ (best example, don't flame) of them.

Again only my opinion in the matter, haven't read the book since last year so I'm a bit rough with some knowledge. If you do choose to use this, don't just copy it but expand on the ideas, there are a lot of other instances that can support that view. Also some of my examples may not make as much sense due to my faulty memory on the subject, so make sure you actually know what you're talking about before you just do what I have to say. Good luck