Hardcore has a newfound importance.

Ahh, the RMAH...

I fully appreciate what Blizzard is attempting to do with the RMAH, even though I want no part of it. How could someone like me be a proponent, even though it's not for me? Blizzard needed to solve one challenge to make Diablo III successful:

How do we create a revenue model comparable to WOW's mandatory subscription model without making it mandatory?

Now I understand that due to "Gamer Gods" success, sometimes there is the (faulty) perception that Blizzard is a company rolling in so much dough that they should give us Diablo as a loss leader. Really? Do you think that's reality? They should continue to earn profits so that they can continue to be among the industry's elite and invest appropriately.

Enter the RMAH, which is generating a lot of controversy right. Put simply, a successful RMAH means people like myself can enjoy free bnet for years to come. For me, regular DIII will be a tune-up, and the non-RMAH Hardcore mode will be where I graduate to with it's level playing field.

Therein lies it's newfound importance.

Next time you want to poo-poo the RMAH and all the challenges and delays Blizzard is trying to overcome to make it happen, remember that the RMAH is the key to free bnet for years to come.

Good luck to Blizzard. Here's to hoping Tyrael can slay Prime Evils for years to come with our help.

a true bro with a sense of how a business model works.

<3 blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    You're kidding yourself if you think HC won't have a grey market. Blizzard just doesn't want to be on the line when someone dies wearing hundreds of dollars in equipment.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Raizuda View Post

Enter the RMAH, which is generating a lot of controversy right. Put simply, a successful RMAH means people like myself can enjoy free bnet for years to come. For me, regular DIII will be a tune-up, and the non-RMAH Hardcore mode will be where I graduate to with it's level playing field.

Next time you want to poo-poo the RMAH and all the challenges and delays Blizzard is trying to overcome to make it happen, remember that the RMAH is the key to free bnet for years to come.

Good luck to Blizzard. Here's to hoping Tyrael can slay Prime Evils for years to come with our help.
    Damn I must've dreamt about all those years Blizzard was financially able to keep Battle.net up without any outside cash schemes. They must be running very low on money to make that up as reasoning!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

While I can both agree and disagree to the "issues" with the RMAH, I for one like the oppourtunity to be able to see items for... you guessed it, REAL MONEY. Something that didn't cost me anything to earn / find yet I am able to get money from it? Heck yeah.

Say what you want about the fee's, in the end of the day, mo matter how much is made selling the item, it is STILL FREE MONEY, because you are only playing a Video Game after all.

As for any third party sellers, I am sure they will be around, however with the ease that is the RMAH, I highly doubt they will be as profitable as any D2 selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Synche View Post
    As for any third party sellers, I am sure they will be around, however with the ease that is the RMAH, I highly doubt they will be as profitable as any D2 selling.
    Third party sellers will still be in high demand from the Hardcore players.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Damn I must've dreamt about all those years Blizzard was financially able to keep Battle.net up without any outside cash schemes. They must be running very low on money to make that up as reasoning!
    Do you remember D2 and it's maintenance, or better, it's lack thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I remember seeing ads on the old battle.net. Alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Do you remember D2 and it's maintenance, or better, it's lack thereof?
    I never played D2 beyond 1 hour points before shutting it down for good. I know it worked very well with Warcraft 2 and 3 though. Starcraft too.

I remember seeing ads on the old battle.net. Alot.
    I remember seeing ads too, never bothered me though as they were only about Blizzard products.

And if someone thought that my intention was to bash RMAH, it was not. I couldn't care less about it at this point. I just find it silly that people try to justify basically printing money with some excuses.

And even doing so for Blizzard, big company who sure will be able to take care of itself without forum vigilantes. <.<
    Last edited by Wilian; 2011-12-15 at 01:38 AM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raizuda View Post
    Ahh, the RMAH...

I fully appreciate what Blizzard is attempting to do with the RMAH, even though I want no part of it. How could someone like me be a proponent, even though it's not for me? Blizzard needed to solve one challenge to make Diablo III successful:

How do we create a revenue model comparable to WOW's mandatory subscription model without making it mandatory?

Now I understand that due to "Gamer Gods" success, sometimes there is the (faulty) perception that Blizzard is a company rolling in so much dough that they should give us Diablo as a loss leader. Really? Do you think that's reality? They should continue to earn profits so that they can continue to be among the industry's elite and invest appropriately.

Honestly, I think your misinterpreting what the current fuss is about.

People have come to accept the RMAH and what it implies. It's a pretty ingenious way for Blizzard to earn a constant stream of revenue without having to rely on subscriptions.

The current issue is how this money transfer is handled and how cumbersome and expensive it is to actually get your money out of Blizzard. The system is clearly designed to allow players to pay their WoW subscriptions, buy WoW mounts of other extra services, but Blizzard clearly doesn't want the money actually leaving their system.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Honestly, I think your misinterpreting what the current fuss is about.

People have come to accept the RMAH and what it implies. It's a pretty ingenious way for Blizzard to earn a constant stream of revenue without having to rely on subscriptions.

The current issue is how this money transfer is handled and how cumbersome and expensive it is to actually get your money out of Blizzard. The system is clearly designed to allow players to pay their WoW subscriptions, buy WoW mounts of other extra services, but Blizzard clearly doesn't want the money actually leaving their system.
    It's one cashout fee and the Paypal thing. They probably don't, but that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Great discussion, guys and gals.

I understand the international and legal issues present with the RMAH. Additionally, there is also the concerns about reasonable fees and creating a quick, secure system for money transfers.

I also understand there will always be grey market issues.

One thing that the Bliz execs must be very wary of is losing WoW subscribers to Diablo III. It's no coincidence that they'll GIVE you DIII with a long-term commitment to WoW. With Titan still years away, a well-designed and implemented RMAH becomes a great profit center. If done poorly...yikes! I give Blizzard credit for having the guts to go bold.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    The current issue is how this money transfer is handled and how cumbersome and expensive it is to actually get your money out of Blizzard.

So, tell me, how expensive is it?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.