10+ Year Old Account

Smile Intel Core i3 2130 vs i5 2400

Hey guys,

I'm finally in a position where I can put aside my laptop and get a new rig (I'm a poor student). It will be in the budget class of gaming systems.
    I'm tossing up between the CPU's mentioned in the title, the Intel Core i3 2130 or the i5 2400.
    Is there a huge difference in the i3 and the i5?
    The rest of the rig, if you are interested, is a follows

Motherboard: Intel DH67CL B3 Motherboard (LGA1155, H67 (B3 Stepping), 4xDDR3-1333, 1xPCI-Ex16 v2.0, 2xSATA-III, 3xSATA-II, 1xeSATA-II, RAID, 1xGigLAN, 8Chl-HD, DVI, HDMI, USB3.0, ATX)
    Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II Midi-Tower Case with 500W PSU +two 120mm fans
    RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-10600
    HDD: 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-III
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 - 1GB GDDR5

If you like clickies, this is the full set-up with featured upgrades. I will be taking out the OS (have my own) and include the 802.11n WiFi card.
    I may be able to afford small upgrades if they make a good Bang/buck ratio so hit me with tips if you want to.

Any input is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Nemefem; 2011-12-14 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    I have a second generation i5 @ 3 ghz
    6 GB 1333 ram
    1GB Geforce 525m clocked at a very large 800mhz

My laptop runs WoW quite easily at high/ultra settings, but i still lag to a crawl in certain situations in 25 man raids.

My advice - Dont get an i3. If possible, save up for an i7.

Oh and try to get a 7200 rpm hard drive (most laptops come with 5400 rpm, which is adequate, but slower load times), if you are flowing with cash, an SSD will make a tremendous difference.
    I'm sorry I should have made it more clear in my post: This not a laptop but a desktop computer to replace my current laptop
    Thanks for your input, I'll definitely have a second look at my budget to see if I can afford an i7

I7 is not needed for a desktop i5 would be quite good i3 is decent but more budget oriented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    My bad, sorry.
    Ye, get the i5 2400 then.
    You shouldnt have any problems with wow.
    Thanks mate. What about other current games like BF3 and Skyrim? I'm not expecting full details and max resolution, just anything above 30fps smoothly and I'll be happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I7 is not needed for a desktop i5 would be quite good i3 is decent but more budget oriented.
    Thanks Milkshake

Deleted
    Get the 2400 (if you got the money the 2500k )

But ABOVE ALL dont get an intel motherboard. They lack features etc. Look at asus/asrock/gigabyte/msi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Get the 2400 (if you got the money the 2500k )
    But ABOVE ALL dont get an intel motherboard. They lack features etc. Look at asus/asrock/gigabyte/msi
    What sort of features should I be looking for? I won't be overclocking it.
    Thanks

Deleted
    They bring less sata ports and stuff like that, for about the same price as other boards. (havent checked the price of this board)

you could get this one for example

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130576

I know its says 104, but should be 90 i think ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...45%2fP55%2fP67 )

Deleted
    There is nothing wrong with Intel Motherboard if you dont plan on overclocking, i5 2400k vs i3 2130, i5 has 4 processor cores, while i3 has two. That GPU is more than enough for medium/high graphics in upcoming tor, in mw3. Even ultra in wow (minus shadows and AA).

From what I've seen you can spend 900$ in a store where building configuration costs less, as link you provide seems like store you chose looks very costly.

Be