Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    That's pretty neat, although I worry it won't be exciting all that long. We all want our characters to look good, but we also want to feel better for working harder. If someone levels up a character and plays his 6-something skills decently well, then he's pretty much ready to pwn as much as you do. Not fair.
    So what you're saying is that you want your character to be better than others just because you have been playing longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    @Should GW2 Have Raids?

No, I don’t want raids :3
    I don’t like the concept of raids, also, I think raids are quite boring. Doing the same bosses every week sucks.
    No one said it should have the same rules/restriction as in WoW.

However, I won't vote for raids. I'll vote for Urgoz/The Deep like Area's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I
    I'm sorry.... what? Explain this one a little more to me. My mind is kinda broken after reading.
    Perhaps you need glasses, then.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    So what you're saying is that you want your character to be better than others just because you have been playing longer?
    I'm saying that if I've been playing for a while, chances are I've invested a lot of time into my character's gear. At least in a game like WoW (and, I was hoping, GW2). That's the whole point of the game revolving around you; everything you do add up until you reach a point where you are slightly better off than someone who's just started. Otherwise there'd be nothing to work for in a combat-oriented MMO, ever. We'd all be the same and we'd all be bloody bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have said this before, but I am going to say it again.
    I don't think raids as in WoW raids are necessary. I would like it if they could design the 5 mans to scale, say from 2-15 players. I would prefer that the rewards stay the exact same from 2-15 players that way people won't feel forced to run with a specific amount of players.

Like the old 5 man dungeons in classic. They didn't scale but you could go in there with like 9 people or something like that. It's been a while.

I'd LOVE raids zones that are actually zones, like in EQ again. The Republic has this, kinda- and those sections of the game are brilliant fun. ;D

when i think of raiding, i think of me working my ass off to be perfect just to take up the slack of everyone around me. i think of someone wasting my time because they wanna smoke, or they show up late, or a myriad of other things. i think of how what I do isn't as valuable as what others do because raiding is a "least common denominator" kind of thing

i think of how when everyone gets their heads out of their asses and pulls their weight, nothing in this game is really difficult and is basically a gear/RNG issue after that point.

i want what i do to matter more. i like 5 mans and no holy trinity while raids are a world event type thing that is more "check this out" instead of "you have to do this and if that one guy is slacking you can't" kind of thing

Perhaps you need glasses, then.
    So let me see if my glasses are the correct prescription then... you want to have an advantage over others by virtue of having better gear not necessarily skill? Even if the other guy with lesser gear is playing "decently" as you put it?

That is a fair situation?

I can't even... wow. Have no...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    So let me see if my glasses are the correct prescription then... you want to have an advantage over others by virtue of having better gear not necessarily skill? Even if the other guy with lesser gear is playing "decently" as you put it?

That is a fair situation?

I can't even... wow. Have no...
    If you spent as much time reading what I say as you do trying to be witty and condescending, I'm sure you would know what I meant by now. I'll say it again: I want the game to be fair on everybody, and being new shouldn't be the impenetrable barrier you make it sound like I want it to be. But a fundamental aspect of play is the sense of accomplishment the players get once they beat obstacles and learn how to master the game. If you remove the senior player (character) from the sweet spot he's earned himself in the name of equality, then you remove half the point of the game, and no one wants to play. The new guy wants to get to where the seasoned player is, that's part of the fun.

Not having raiding would turn me away instantly. Not asking for anything mind-numbingly difficult, but at the very least put in some single boss fights.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Muriko View Post
    Not having raiding would turn me away instantly. Not asking for anything mind-numbingly difficult, but at the very least put in some single boss fights.
    Elite Dynamic Events are gigantic community wide events where you fight dragons to ghost pirate ships. I wrote up a more detailed answer in this Tread on post #225
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-02 at 01:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    Elite Dynamic Events are gigantic community wide events where you fight dragons to ghost pirate ships.
    I've played the demo and let's just say that those events sound better than they play. I won't pretend to know the game before it's out, but we all know the danger of expecting too much of promised mechanics and features before a game goes gold.

I've played the demo and let's just say that those events sound better than they play. I won't pretend to know the game before it's out, but we all know the danger of expecting too much of promised mechanics and features before a game goes gold.
    Well being someone who has never been able to play DE's, I'm not pretending I know anything about the game I haven't seen or heard, I'm also not expecting the DE's to be anything more then what they have been shown and told about. I'm also not gonna assume just because it's an open would event for the community it's gonna be a "zergging cluster fuck" as most people assume.

From what I seen ArenaNet just says "here's a mechanic and it does X" I've never seen them over-hype of try to make something bigger then it sounds.

btw what didn't work well at the demo? was it the class? was it the others around you, was their a lack of direction? a lack of feedback? Just curious because from what I've seen they're Fing brilliant stuff
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-02 at 02:18 AM.

No. They said they want this game to be an e-sport, if people want to raid, play another game, I'd rather resources be spent on PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deleted due to wrong thread.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-01-02 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Wrong thead... /facepalm

they play exactly like a LFR/Normal mode wow raid

a few things to avoid (you actually dodge in gw2 though), a few mechanics that you have to deal with (and everyone has the skills to deal with them since there is no holy trinity) and they're not the focus of the game, they're part of leveling.

they're great. they are what they are. a must-see part of the game that tells part of the story

---------- Post added 2012-01-01 at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    No. They said they want this game to be an e-sport, if people want to raid, play another game, I'd rather resources be spent on PvP.
    they've never once said they want it to be more pvp than pve

it's just not bad at pvp like other MMOs. arenanet just isn't gonna focus on one or the other, people who like pve only will have plenty to do and vice versa. guild wars was the same way, it was done properly from start to finish

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't the demo version of those encounters suppose to be a heavily nerfed version?

They want people to be able to play through the whole thing with the limited time they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikvis View Post
    Aren't the demo version of those encounters suppose to be a heavily nerfed version?

They want people to be able to play through the whole thing with the limited time they have.
    yeah that's what I heard ArenaNet saying about it, I doubt some ppl will believe it because of how jaded some ppl have become by PR of video games past an remain.

It's the basic policy of remain cynical and expect the worst of a video game, before it comes out and then clam it's utter crap once it's released. :P
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-02 at 04:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah that's what I heard ArenaNet saying about it, I doubt some ppl will believe it because of how jaded some ppl have become by PR of video games past an remain.

It's the basic policy of remain cynical and expect the worst of a video game, before it comes out and then clam it's utter crap once it's released. :P
    Do you have the source on Anet saying they were nerfed? Not that I don't believe you, it would just make me a little happier knowing they don't plan on them being that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Do you have the source on Anet saying they were nerfed? Not that I don't believe you, it would just make me a little happier knowing they don't plan on them being that easy.
    I remember it being stated by a dev from ArenaNet talk about it at a one of their showings but can't find the link if I do I'll update this post (or maybe one of the other posters will beat me to finding it -_-)

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember it being stated by a dev from ArenaNet talk about it at a one of their showings but can't find the link if I do I'll update this post (or maybe one of the other posters will beat me to finding it -_-)
    That would be awesome. There was a lot of talk on whether it was or not at gw2guru, but there was never any proof for either side.