Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Dear Blizzard . It seems you are obsessed creating a kind of social network and in the end (probably) facebook-twitter integration . Guess what . We don't give a damn . Actually when I play the game I want to stay anonymous . I don't want my boss to see on my profile whan mmorpg I play . Your target is completely different then mine , your client . I repeat . I f..n want to remain anonymous . Stop trying to invent new ways to resurect the real ID

More likely is them bring out a steam style digital download service.
    Code:
    /tar kitten
    /cast Power Word:Shield
    If you look on the product schedule there is something called "Bnet 3rd parties" which points to a digital download store to me.
    So having a unified public username would make sense
    Last edited by zakayron; 2011-12-15 at 11:51 PM.
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Now this is more like it, Blizzard. This is what RealID should have been in the first place.

I'm going to go ahead and predict a question from the future:

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth
    Why can't I choose the name I want? You said it didn't need to be unique!
    Because there's already ten thousand people with that name and they only give you four digits... I just know the limit will be hit...

Deleted
    Is it wrong for me that i read Battle F*gs ?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz is trying to unify battle.net instead of having it be three seperate programs for three seperate games.

Are there any other people with really clean names being told that they are against the naming policy? I asked a GM why how my name would be against the policy and they said "Dont know why, but its a new service and there may be bugs with it"

Looks like they finally figured out that giving your e-mail to others was kind of... a security problem... since it's also your account login... lol Many reasons they're doing it, most notable, removing the login e-mails from the system, getting back to some of their original idea to have your "id" shown everywhere you say something (i.e. forums), making it simple just like PSN/Live names (common, easier to add "arthas#1234" than "prince.arthas.menethil.from.lordaeron@azerothiannetwork.com")

It also prevent forums trolls, people will much less start trolling if they cant just hide behind an alt they'll delete in 10 minutes.

So I guess we can take this as a tacit acknowledgment that RealID wasn't the best idea in the world. I actually liked it, but people are far too ridiculously paranoid about others finding out their *gasp* real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
    So I guess we can take this as a tacit acknowledgment that RealID wasn't the best idea in the world. I actually liked it, but people are far too ridiculously paranoid about others finding out their *gasp* real name.
    Mostly because people were probably using their main email address as their battle.net email.

IMHO Your battle.net email should be treated with the same level of confidentiality as your password.

And I'm not sure if "confidentiality" fits here. Basically I mean it should not be one that's easily guessed by anyone - it shouldn't be connected to you , your world of warcraft toon , your real name or anything that anyone who knows you or has your facebook profile can guess.

finally can hide my real email id / name

Wow, Blizzard finally did something that should've been there at the beginning of the whole awful RealID-share half of your login information-debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosajtpno View Post
    Because there's already ten thousand people with that name and they only give you four digits... I just know the limit will be hit...
    That's assuming the limit is 4 digits , 1 - 9999

This assumption would be based on what you can see of the length of current Battle Tags. Blizzard hasn't stated how longthat number actually is in the system and I so far haven't seen a post from the development team about it.

It's entirely possibly that the number at the end of the Battle Tag is stored in a variable that has a much larger limit but the leading zeros are automatically stripped when it's displayed or used. For example the SC2 system started out with 3 digits and went to 4 I believe.

So for example mine is "bluspacecow #1174". It could be stored internally as "bluspacecow #00000000000001174" but the leading zeros are ignored or stripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by bluspacecow View Post
    That's assuming the limit is 4 digits , 1 - 9999

This assumption would be based on what you can see of the length of current Battle Tags. Blizzard hasn't stated how longthat number actually is in the system and I so far haven't seen a post from the development team about it.

It's entirely possibly that the number at the end of the Battle Tag is stored in a variable that has a much larger limit but the leading zeros are automatically stripped when it's displayed or used. For example the SC2 system started out with 3 digits and went to 4 I believe.

So for example mine is "bluspacecow #1174". It could be stored internally as "bluspacecow #00000000000001174" but the leading zeros are ignored or stripped out.
    each BattleTag is automatically assigned a 4-digit BattleTag code
    as seen above

No intention of buying Diablo III, but still created my tag.

Can't wait for this to come to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to know what steps will be taken to ensure privacy and prevent harassment. Will we have the right to choose where and how the Battle Tag is displayed? While it does provide some anonymity that Real ID does not provide, I can see this being a problem for those days when I might choose to log onto an alt when I want to be antisocial and not talk to anyone :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aztrazolo View Post
    I tend to not fall into the pattern of railing on Blizzard as from the sidelines I know very little about the development process, time-lines, and reasoning to decisions they make. But this seems to me to be...I don't even know how to describe it. What was even the point of RealID then? And what is the point of maintaining two different systems? If I was a stockholder I would be asking why I'm investing in exercises in redundancy.
    The point of this, is so that you can still be "Real friends" bnet account wide, without revealing your email address or real name.
    Author of Postal, Omen3, GemHelper, BankItems, WoWEquip, GatherMate, Routes and Cartographer_Routes

Quote Originally Posted by Exaltress View Post
    I'd like to know what steps will be taken to ensure privacy and prevent harassment. Will we have the right to choose where and how the Battle Tag is displayed? While it does provide some anonymity that Real ID does not provide, I can see this being a problem for those days when I might choose to log onto an alt when I want to be antisocial and not talk to anyone :P
    I share these concerns. Also:

In the future, expect it to be displayed in other Blizzard games like StarCraft II and World of Warcraft on friends lists, in chat, or when making posts on their associated forums.
    Surely they don't mean trade/guild/general chat? But knowing Blizzard I could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damnit, 12 characters is 1 character too short to fit what I want (this username) Apart from that, this is a great idea, and is should have been done instead of realid.

Is it possible to constantly remake my Battletag until I get 1337?