15+ Year Old Account

Computer build help - need something for 2012 but not beyond.

So I've had this same Laptop since Jan 2006 and it has served me very well (believe it or not the biggest issue I have now is a lack of HD space!) This year I got a good job and tomorrow I have a modest Christmas bonus coming in.

I would like to use it to buy a computer with the following things in mind:

I only want something for the next year. I plan on purchasing another one in early 2013.

My budget is 750-900 dollars, monitor included.

I would like to play WoW, SWTOR, SC2, D3 and possibly CoD:MW3, Civ5 and a few other games. I would like to play at 30+ FPS on medium to high settings, not necessarily the highest.
    I would like a 21+ inch monitor.
    I would like an SSD and an HD if possible. I would like to be able to reuse the SSD for my next purchase.
    The only thing I can reasonably reuse now is my mouse.
    I live in Orange County, CA, USA.
    The last time I built my own computer was 10-11 years ago when I was still in college o.O

Thanks in advance!

Deleted

I didn't see you ask for Windows 7 so it's not included (add $99) however I added an SSD that will last you, a HDD and 23" monitor within your budget limit.

The 600W PSU is actually "only" 480W but it's quite fine for that build. Needing monitor, SSD and HDD with the current prices in mind I think this system will do you well and I don't think you can put much more performance in it without breaking the budget.

It will run the games you mentioned at around high settings no problem.

(The total is with a few MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341017

Much better PSU for an extra 5 bucks.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341017

Much better PSU for an extra 5 bucks.
    Yeah actually same price after MIR, good catch

Deleted
    Drop the SSD.

On a budget gaming pc a i5-2500K is way better.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    Drop the SSD.

Yea get a better cpu before a ssd. By the time you get your 2013 build going you will be able to get a nice ssd or always add one later. The better cpu will be very beneficial to game performance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Yea get a better cpu before a ssd. By the time you get your 2013 build going you will be able to get a nice ssd or always add one later. The better cpu will be very beneficial to game performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    Drop the SSD.

I think you both forgot to read the entire original post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Should I ditch the SSD and pick it up with a better system in 2013? Also, will this handle Skyrim as well?

Deleted
    Ummm well....

Will it handle Skyrim? Yes it'll handle Skyrim on high settings.

As for the SSD that's hard to say really. An SSD is really nice to have and once you get one I promise you that you won't ever NOT want to have one. In a year the prices will be different and maybe the sizes as well so it's hard to give you advice on this. Is the SSD good bang for your buck? Yes definitely. i5-2500k will definitely be better and last you longer but if you're building this just to last approx a year +- then I would say it's fine. I built something very similar to what i suggested to you and it runs very smooth (I have a 64GB Crucial SSD btw). Mine just have to last a year + until I move.