Prot: Feeling really underpowered on Madness of Deathwing

Our guild is working on normal mode Madness of Deathwing, and it's probably my least favorite fight of the whole raid simply because I'm rage starved most of the fight.

Last time, I couldn't hold threat over the Prot Paladin tank on the corruptions. I don't have threat problems on any other boss, but those tentacles. Obviously, this is an easy fix and the paladin should stop attacking so I can hold aggro, but she wouldn't.
    I even put on my full Arms set (using my 1H and Shield obviously), and I still had problems. I had 7k strength, and hit/exp cap, and the Prot pally still out dps'd me, but I could hold threat for like 7 seconds instead of 4.

And on the claw parts, I have a hard enough time just getting rage to do Devastate. It kind of feels like my DPS is holding everyone back. The fight needs something to actually attack a tank so I can feel like I'm doing something other than shield walling one hit.
    Does anyone else have this feeling on that fight? No other tank needs something hitting them to build up their primary resource, so a fight where you don't get hit doesn't favor Warriors it seems like.
    I'm seriously considering just taking my Blood DK and pooping out 70k Death Strike Crits.

Deleted
    You should have yor prot pally using Salvation on him/her when you taunt the tentacle. Other thing is, if you want to get some rage, you should have someone stand in line with you on the tentacle and this way it will most likely hit you both when it does the cone hit. I say most likely, from what i've seen if you have 2 ppl stacking they get the hit more than average

For the rest of the fight i can't be really helpfull as my warrior is leve 21 But i think you should be able to change stances. Again not really sure if it is doable. For me, druid, i go cat form with some pewpew talents and just dps throughout the rest of the fight and just get the tentacle hit

Deleted
    I'm not sure what you wish to discuss here. I have no problems what-so-ever tanking Madness of Deathwing. If anything, it's I who has to be careful with threat because of Vigilance keeping my Vengeance high throuhout the encounter. You may want to improve your ability usage somehow.

The claws are kind of tricky; you can position yourself so that you can use abilities but not perform regular melee swings, eventually draining your rage completely. Make sure you always stand close to the claw and just in front of it and not on the sides.

Is it 10 or 25 man? Because if its 10 man the pally tank can solo tank the fight if you have a disc priest and BR available...

Have the pally take off Righteous Fury when he's not tanking the tentacle and use Hand of Salvation on himself. I know if I have 3 holy power available and my warrior tank taunts off me, I at times do not hesitate and hit my shield slam, and a 55k crit over a warrior who gets 1 heroic strike in usually means I get aggro back pretty quick.

Work something out where he's just using crusader strikes to build HP while you taunt so he doesn't take it off you again, see if that helps.

Deleted
    Intervene the paladin after taunting? Insta taunt if he is dumb enough to take agro? Obviously you should have Vigilance, you really shouldnt have rage issues on this fight though... Plenty of damage flying around...

Ow and ye, try solo tanking it, in my experience that's easier then fucking about with two tanks. (If it's 10 man)

15+ Year Old Account
    Vigilance is your best friend.

Not only does it keep your Vengeance running, but the taunt-refresh mechanic is nifty if you're having real aggro trouble.

There's no real need for you to be constantly tanking the tentacle after the Prot Pally gets Impaled - the debuff only boosts Impale damage, meaning so long as you have aggro as the second Impale comes around, you're golden. If you keep having severe trouble holding, keep a weather eye on your DBM and taunt the tentacle right before the second Impale comes. Once it's started casting, it won't change targets. All that needs to happen is for the second Impale to not hit the other tank. If he gets it right back straight after, doesn't matter.

However, I personally don't find myself rage starved on this fight. Haven't seen any issue with my own TPS.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeanathus View Post
    Intervene the paladin after taunting? Insta taunt if he is dumb enough to take agro? Obviously you should have Vigilance, you really shouldnt have rage issues on this fight though... Plenty of damage flying around...

Ow and ye, try solo tanking it, in my experience that's easier then fucking about with two tanks. (If it's 10 man)
    What he said, use vigi for insta taunt and vengeance.
    Use intervene to get 100% vengeance and more threat :P

Still doesn't help, i would look into rotation again, maybe you have HS macro'd to something and forgot about it ? :P

Do you have any logs to look over because if you are raged starved you might be using heroic strike to much as stated above. Also when attacking the big claw or whatever don't be afraid to back up and charge to get more rage. Def dont recommend charging the corruption since Iv seen some pathing issues that might make you fly off the edge. Also shout before you need to take the corruption that way you have rage to get some good threat.

i stopped reading after 'i couldnt hold over a prot paladin'...
    rotation = wrong, no other reason, paladins mathmatically have the lowest dps and as such the lowest threat gen of the tank specs

Not being able to hold aggro after a swap is strictly a function of how long into the mob being tanked you are.

Aggro pulls at 110% threat points for players in melee range of the mob. The first impale comes really early, so at that point the mob will have had a low amount of total threat applied to it by the first tank. That means that after you taunt, gaining 10% over 100% threat points for the other tank constitutes less big attacks landing than it would later on in the lifetime of the mob.

The biggest antidote to swap problems is the first tank generating as much threat as possible before you taunt (thus reducing the percentage of total mob threat that their subsequent attacks will generate), and the biggest source of swap problems is the first tank underperforming in generating threat in the first cycle.

You ever wonder why tanks who are dodgy at threat are annoyingly easy to pull off of while they're tanking, but then suddenly after you taunt they easily pull off of you mysteriously? Like suddenly once it's your turn to tank, they somehow become awesome at generating threat. The above is exactly why.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2011-12-22 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    The biggest antidote to swap problems is the first tank generating as much threat as possible before you taunt (thus reducing the percentage of total mob threat that their subsequent attacks will generate), and the biggest source of swap problems is the first tank underperforming in generating threat in the first cycle.

You ever wonder why tanks who are dodgy at threat are annoyingly easy to pull off of while they're tanking, but then suddenly after you taunt they easily pull off of you mysteriously? Like suddenly once it's your turn to tank, they somehow become awesome at generating threat. The above is exactly why.
    haha sounds like what happens to me.
    Impale happens -> I taunt, can't get aggro, ask druid tank to stop for a second "aw man i just popped berserk!" (usually I miss a shieldslam or something too)

Maybe its something your not doing? Our prot does 32k on Madness. Heres a log maybe you can look it over for some ideas.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ov...&e=16709#Kaeda

Quote Originally Posted by pdude View Post
    O
    Last time, I couldn't hold threat over the Prot Paladin tank on the corruptions. I don't have threat problems on any other boss, but those tentacles. Obviously, this is an easy fix and the paladin should stop attacking so I can hold aggro, but she wouldn't.

You probably have your threat priorities wrong in terms so skill rotations, etc. But, Prot Paladins do a ton of damage and I did face issues in this boat as well. This can be fixed by intercepting your paladin tank and taunting. Reduces threat (their's) by 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Vigilance is your best friend.

Not only does it keep your Vengeance running, but the taunt-refresh mechanic is nifty if you're having real aggro trouble.

There's no real need for you to be constantly tanking the tentacle after the Prot Pally gets Impaled - the debuff only boosts Impale damage, meaning so long as you have aggro as the second Impale comes around, you're golden. If you keep having severe trouble holding, keep a weather eye on your DBM and taunt the tentacle right before the second Impale comes. Once it's started casting, it won't change targets. All that needs to happen is for the second Impale to not hit the other tank. If he gets it right back straight after, doesn't matter.

However, I personally don't find myself rage starved on this fight. Haven't seen any issue with my own TPS.
    Yeah, I've been putting up Vigilance.
    Watching the timer seems like the best thing to do though.

Maybe I am using Heroic Strike too much, it's been ingrained in my muscle memory for all the fights where I have infinite rage.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    haha sounds like what happens to me.
    Impale happens -> I taunt, can't get aggro, ask druid tank to stop for a second "aw man i just popped berserk!" (usually I miss a shieldslam or something too)
    Yeah, when I suggested the Paladin stop attacking, my raid leader said he wanted the extra DPS.
    But DPS doesn't really matter when the Paladin takes 3 impales in a row and dies.

never had even the slighted amount of trouble

all the raid aoe dmg means you're hitting HS pretty much on CD