Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

How SOPA will affect gamers?

Censorship is coming to the US! Say goodbye to sites like 4chan, reedit, and tankspot and most likely more. Spread the news.
    http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/4...less-you-help/

SOPA will never pass, so you need fear not.

The united states of china

I wouldn't worry about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    SOPA will never pass, so you need fear not.
    It's not that black and white. We really don't know if it will, many large companies such as Sony and Nintendo are backing it, and as you know, if you have the money, the government is your oyster.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    It's not that black and white. We really don't know if it will, many large companies such as Sony and Nintendo are backing it, and as you know, if you have the money, the government is your oyster.
    True, but many large companies with friends in the White House (*coughGooglecough*) are also dead-set against it. And my sense is that the momentum has turned against it, with numerous members of the House and Senate coming out with harsh criticisms of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    True, but many large companies with friends in the White House (*coughGooglecough*) are also dead-set against it. And my sense is that the momentum has turned against it, with numerous members of the House and Senate coming out with harsh criticisms of it.
    We can hope... we can hope...

10+ Year Old Account
    they are voting on what the bill is going to be today. At least that's my understanding.

The bill isn't going to be voted on for quite some time. And even if for some terrible reason it does pass, it will take quite some time for it to be enforced.

There is no reason to panic just yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    they are voting on what the bill is going to be today. At least that's my understanding.

The bill isn't going to be voted on for quite some time. And even if for some terrible reason it does pass, it will take quite some time for it to be enforced.

There is no reason to panic just yet.
    But if you wait right up until the bill starts being enforced then you've already lost. People need to tackle the bill now. If you wait 6 months or a year it'll be too late because it'll be old news. Not to mention it's much easier to stamp out a bill at this stage rather than try to overturn it after it's been passed.

When ridiculous bills like this are proposed you should be getting angry IMMEDIATELY. Even if it's just being proposed. To do anything less is an utter waste of your democratic rights. Politicians need to be shown that the people don't want laws like SOPA. They need to be shown that people care GREATLY about their rights being destroyed by this bill. When a population is completely apathetic to what politicians are doing where's the incentive for the politicians to do what's right for the people?

Democracy only works if the people actually participate in the system. If people just say "oh well, it'll all be fine" or "let's worry about it in 2 months time when it gets voted on" then how is democracy going to work? It's like you're talking about some mundane task where you say "I'll put it off for today, I'll do it tomorrow." and you end up putting it off every day for over a week. Is a bill as groundbreaking as SOPA really on the same level of importance as some run-of-the-mill task that your boss or your partner or your friend asks you to do? Really?

This isn't aimed purely at you, I'm just a bit worried that so many people just adopt the attitude of "Lol I don't care, I'm sure the invisible force of Democracy will ensure it doesn't happen." There is no invisible force, the people ARE the democracy. If the people become lazy and don't care what's happening then it is doomed to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Why tankspot?
    Wondering the same thing myself.
    Only reason I could think of would be why youtube doesn't allow copy-written music on channels that are "monetized"; basically, they don't want you making money off of what someone else created. I would assume Tankspot probably makes money off of their videos? They are pretty popular.
    I know music =/= video games, but just my guess.

Another end of the internet thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Likes Pie View Post
    Wondering the same thing myself.
    Only reason I could think of would be why youtube doesn't allow copy-written music on channels that are "monetized"; basically, they don't want you making money off of what someone else created. I would assume Tankspot probably makes money off of their videos? They are pretty popular.
    I know music =/= video games, but just my guess.
    well that does make sense :P

Well, you know those "Unofficial" game guides and videos on the web/youtube? Those would be gone! Youtube would be litigated into the ground and most likely cease to function, Reddit would be gone, alot of file/image hosting sites would die. On the extreem end what you say even on this very site could be cencored. It can have far reaching effects.

Deleted
    i doubt it would ever go through, but if it did, wouldnt the sites affected and companies just move out of the US? host their servers in europe or something, or would that not change anything?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i doubt it would ever go through, but if it did, wouldnt the sites affected and companies just move out of the US? host their servers in europe or something, or would that not change anything?
    The way its worded could stop those things from being shown in the U.S.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    it won't pass in america. we have freeom of speech and press unlike china communist. congress wouldn't want to piss off google and other big names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite all of the outrage and anger against SOPA, I still have yet to find a website that actually links to the actual legislation so that people can read it for themselves. If you do sit down and read it, there is no danger of censorship, no danger of anything other than people being held accountable for using other people's copyrighted material to make money. and advertisers who enable them to do it. As long as you personally are not intending to profit from usage of copyrighted material, then you have nothing to fear. YouTube is not going anywhere, although some Directors who have ads that they profit from might get nixed. Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Despite all of the outrage and anger against SOPA, I still have yet to find a website that actually links to the actual legislation so that people can read it for themselves. If you do sit down and read it, there is no danger of censorship, no danger of anything other than people being held accountable for using other people's copyrighted material to make money. and advertisers who enable them to do it. As long as you personally are not intending to profit from usage of copyrighted material, then you have nothing to fear. YouTube is not going anywhere, although some Directors who have ads that they profit from might get nixed. Relax.
    MOST of the bill is dedicated to trying to remove Pirating this is true. The problem with the bill is that its worded as such that any lawyer could and will have a field day with it, and as we all know American Corperations love to have a field day with litigation, now the bills idea is good, stop pirating, good thing in the end, it does however need several amendments in order for small start ups to not be tied down in costly litigation, in order for large companies from imposing certin fee or indeed stoping the passing of simple information, for example "Unofficial" Online Game Guides i.e. sites like Tankspot ect ect. Now Im just using this as an example Im not saying this is happening or anything, but the way its written right now, if lets say Tanksport writes a guide and posts a video on how to kill Onyixia, under the law Blizzard could techniqly sue them for posting the guide saying they licened the Guide to say Prima, or indeed Prima could sue Tankspot, but not just Tankspot, they could sue the people even ADVERTISING on Tankspot. Under the law even advertisers on websites are responsible for the contents of the website, under the law if Depends Adult Underware advertised on Tankspot for whatever reason, they are open to litigation from Blizzard or Prima and subject to a fine from the FED.

Except you are flat out wrong? Use a copyrighted song in your boss kill video? Youtube gets in trouble.

Funny how some people are so compliant with things like this, then you would probably be one of the ones bitching the most after it passes (I guess you are not from the US)

SOPA will mean it is illegal to post videos of boss kills, how to reach location x, or how to do whatever in game. No more screenshot either. Like all things evil SOPA needs to die in a fire.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 02:48 AM ----------

You didn't read it then. The proposed law makes Youtube criminal.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 02:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Why tankspot?
    Because a video of the game contains copyrighted material - i.e. the game. So if it is uploaded to Youtube, then Youtube will be held criminally liable and whoever responsible will face jail time.