Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Some people are just tired of hearing about it everywhere they go and on every MMO they play, so I think it's natural for them to "hate" on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazdreg View Post
    The same things were said in Rift. Then the wow lovers left and it stopped. It will happen with SW:ToR too.
    I cannot wait until the, 'taking a break from wow' crowd, goes back to wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    What if I took a permanent break from WoW and couldn't possibly stomach going back.. can I stay?

On topic, Yeah I just think so many folks are disgusted by the direction wow took and where so emotionally invested in it that its natural to release a bit of that frustration in a game that has finally given them a place to escape. Not saying its a good thing but its natural I suppose. I ran into quite a bit of this in beta, however, on the server I am in now I was quite surprised at how mature and helpful the general chat was.. I know it mostly likely wont stay this way but its nice while it lasts.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2011-12-18 at 02:37 AM.

Star Wars is a bigger brand than Rift can ever hope to be and Warcraft is also behind in terms of sheer popularity I am afraid. So the chances of TOR dying off because people getting starved on WoW and visiting TOR is pretty low as long as the game delivers consistently good content at a steady rate. That shouldn't be impossible with BioWare and EA backing them up. You can say a lot of bad things about EA, but they stand for consistency in backing up their titles with the resources needed. If the sports franchise FIFA is to be judged by, at least. BioWare on their side has a good background with RPG-driven content and since SW:TOR is a very RPG centered MMO I fail to see how this game will fall into nothingness if it delivers well.

My own first impression in early access is of a solid gameplay, decently polished, especially the storytelling and some battle animations are good. The ranged classes like bounty hunters stand out to me a little. The lack of a auto-attack isn't missed, in fact it is brilliant. Auto attack was just a tool to make combat look smooth and cover up flaws in animation quality.

Personally I think it is stupid to get so attached to a game that you ignore the good points of others just to hate it. I mean, I was a WoW-addict to a degree, but at least I had sense to play some console games so I didn't get deluded into thinking that WoW was the beehive of gaming. You miss out on so many swell experiences if you stay subscribed to a game with zero content for the next 6 months, there is no reason to stay if an MMO fails to deliver decent quality, apart from the social ties you make. WoW has gotten to the point where you can play it as a solo game, which might be a bad idea if you want to make people stay and play the game when you have nothing planned for 6 months.

So, naturally alot of old WoW players with their mindset on how to enjoy gaming will try new things, but to bash WoW while playing TOR just makes the TOR community look retarded. That's unwanted, tbh. And I'm pretty much going to stick with TOR for a while now. I find the gameplay really enjoyable. You just have to live with me.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2011-12-18 at 01:56 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And yet they are paying to play game they hate....
    Irony truly at its finest. A lot of WoW players including myself have false hope. I was hoping Cataclysm would of been a fantastic expansion, nope.

Any game that is not WoW will be chock full of WoW haters.

The MMO community is split into 3. Those who LOVE WoW, those who HATE it, and a miniscule minority who doesn't care. The third can be ignored. All the first plays WoW. All the second plays other games.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Don't know, I don't quite understand the "either you love it, or hate it".

10+ Year Old Account
    This confuses me as well. Happened with Rift; people were talking an awful lot about a game they hated. I think it's just people trying to make themselves believe they hate something although deep down they feel really attached/like that something.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Don't know, I don't quite understand the "either you love it, or hate it".
    Which puts you in that third minority.

I understand it, even if i disagree with it.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    In Rift this happened a lot but so far in Swtor I haven't seen any Wow chat. Imo a good sign.....

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    In Rift this happened a lot but so far in Swtor I haven't seen any Wow chat. Imo a good sign.....
    No huge "hate" arguments on my server yet, but a fair few telling people which server they used to play on, etc. The normal pleasantries between non-douchbags in general chat, I guess.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Yeah I have seen no WoW chat at all and I started day one of early access

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift was no different during its Beta, pre-launch, and actual launch. WoW being the long standing corner stone of the MMORPG market, will catch tons of public comparison and flak, until the day it finally rolls over and heaves its final dying breath.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

If any of them have played WoW or been on a WoW-related message board in the past few months, they have been hit over the head with generic fan comments which insult them for not enjoying WoW while simultaneously using fail logic to bash every other game in existence.

Things like:
    - "The game is fine, 2 million people just magically got bored at exactly the same moment."
    - "If you haven't killed every single boss on heroic, it means WoW has infinite content and you're not allowed to say it doesn't or claim to be bored."
    - "See you in 2 months."
    - "WoW once had fifty bajillion subs, which means it's the best game ever created and everything else is the worst game ever created."

Can you really blame them for venting after an endless stream of that? Give 'em time. They'll rant until they're settled in, then forget all about WoW.

Remember when Google Plus first came out and everybody was bashing on facebook? That's how I see SWTOR and WOW...

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    This goes beyond WoW. When something is extremely popular or was popular at it's peak, people love to hate what's popular. You have to take it with a grain of salt. Who cares what other people think. If you like something, that's all that should matter. I personally don't find it annoying at all. I just ignore it. I play WoW, I still enjoy it and at the end of the day I'm the one who's logging in.

For me, I've played the Star Wars beta and personally I don't find it all that ground breaking or mind blowing at all. To me, the combat is clunky as hell, the character movements are even worse, the questing is literally kill this 'x' amount of times or collect this 'x' amount of times, the dialogue gets very frustrating after a while as well. You can't skip it so you're stuck listening to an NPC babble on and on about pointless crap. It's not worth spending 15 bucks a month, but that's just my opinion and people will think other wise and defend it. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, it's my opinion, I gave it and that's that.
    Actually you can skip dialoque by pressing spacebar:-)
    There is no truth.

This is Highlander. There can be only one. Asking people to get along is like asking people to enjoy both ps3 and xbox 360. Impossible.

i found that once i left dromund kaas, the drudgery of people talking about wow ceased and it was mostly talking about SWTOR and doing missions and flashpoints together, or just friendly banter. which is good.
    FOR THE MOST PART of course, there are some annoying people that got past level 15 while still spewing wow sucks nonsense, wows a great game, im just past the point where i like it anymore personally.
    SWTOR is full of great things and i cant wait to max out my level and own it up with my friends

10+ Year Old Account
    You haven't left the general chat channel yet? O_o

I have to say, I don't think I've seen even one peep of WoW in the time I've been logged in. Mostly just people asking the same questions ad infinitum. "When do I get my ship", "When do I get my companion", "What is CoS", "Where's my light saber". All. Freaking. DAY. Even once I got to the fleet, still getting similar questions. I swear to bob I'm going to power level tomorrow just to get out of the zones where everyone else is >.>
    Last edited by endersblade; 2011-12-18 at 02:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    What's even more funny is the fact that those same..... short bus riders , still either have an active wow account or at one time was a "hard core" player in wow. Stupidity is an amazing thing ..lol
    Sweet, sweet irony, how I missed you.

To the OP: Who cares? Really, their opinions are null, they've never developed a title and I hazard a guess most of them won't. Until you've been in the biz, you can only know so much and that's still next to nothing. Enjoy the game I say. And if you're a player of WoW, enjoy that too. It's okay to not like things, just don't be a dick about the things you don't like.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)