Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny how every new game that is knocking at the door is supposed to set a new standard, while the old game(s) are on deaths door.

Really, the way I see it, there are a bunch of games that try all sorts of things and they are between 300 000 and 3 million subs. To me, in a way that IS the standard. GW 1 already only had one box (addons later) and was free to play, as is LotRo and they didn't exactly break sub records. So somehow being "free" doesn't seem to attract as many players as we think. Fantastic graphics also ended up slowing things down conceivable...Aion found that out.

As for dynamic and interesting gameplay - I await the judgement on that. I mean - yeah, WoW IS pretty simplistic on some off the "Kill xx" quests, yet addons like Tom Tom, Questhelper, Everquest yadayada are INSANELY popular. One should imagne that to be uneccessary with such allegedly simplistic design, no? Maybe dynamic events are actually too challenging (or let us say...not what everybody wants)?
    Guild Wars 1 had 3 campaigns, an expansion and free content and sold over six million copies (data from 2009 so might be close to seven million now).
    And I just used Questhelper to help me find where to kill the mobs for the ''kill xx'' quests, the fact that these addons are popular doesnt mean the quests are hard or fun. And I'm sure there will be dynamic events for everyone in terms of difficulty.

Funny how every new game that is knocking at the door is supposed to set a new standard, while the old game(s) are on deaths door.
    Funny how Dying usually translates to "not as popular as WOW", well at least for the games you mentioned, and if you want to get technical every mmo is "dying" because eventually every mmo will need to shutdown.

Really, the way I see it, there are a bunch of games that try all sorts of things and they are between 300 000 and 3 million subs. To me, in a way that IS the standard. GW 1 already only had one box (addons later) and was free to play, as is LotRo and they didn't exactly break sub records. So somehow being "free" doesn't seem to attract as many players as we think. Fantastic graphics also ended up slowing things down conceivable...Aion found that out.
    GW1 NEVER had a subscription fee and was marketed to be a online game (ArenaNet never considered it an mmo I did) that was a one time precise, It was followed by 2 standalone expansions, along with a "traditional expansion" and is still thriving today with regular updates (look at the re hall of the ele http://guildwars.com/gameplay/develo...l_balances.php). in fact GW2 is only being devolped because ArenaNet proved how successful the modal can be.

Lotro seems to have had a growth in it's community they are now getting ready for their 3rd expansion Rise of Isengard, currently updating all, if not most of the classes, and have come up with some amazing ideas imo at least. Ideas like The Runemasters mechanic to change from healing to dmg in the middle of combat, the legendary weapon system, and skirmishes. Also finding a way to work pvp into the subject matter (PVMP).

Aion never played, stopped following it so can't comment on it.

As for dynamic and interesting gameplay - I await the judgement on that. I mean - yeah, WoW IS pretty simplistic on some off the "Kill xx" quests, yet addons like Tom Tom, Questhelper, Everquest yadayada are INSANELY popular.
    I don't see how that and Addons have anything to do with the difficulty of DE's, in fact DE's are very clear on what you have to do.

One should imagne that to be uneccessary with such allegedly simplistic design, no? Maybe dynamic events are actually too challenging (or let us say...not what everybody wants)?
    yeah because finding mankrik's wife is SO simple
    wondering aimlessly is not my idea of "simple (as in easy) quest design" it's just wondering aimlessly to find something some ppl like it some hate it

It's like me saying it's simple to ride a mount from SW to Westfall so why bother ever using a flightpath or HS? It's more convent, Addons like Questhelper is a tool of conveniences for ppl to find the objective of unclear quests.
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2012-01-06 at 05:51 AM.
    I haven't enjoyed myself this much since the sacking of Coruscant!
    -Malgus playing the Mesmer

Funny how Dying usually translates to "not as popular as WOW", well at least for the games you mentioned, and if you want to get technical every mmo is "dying" because eventually every mmo will need to shutdown.
    God, I am so sick of this crap. Maybe I am jaded but I have over the years come to believe that gamers are the worst audience and consumers of their own media. The level of non-thinking, unsophistication and outright stupidity is astonishing.

There are threads in the SWTOR forums like, "How is SWTOR holding up?". "SWTOR Peaked?", "SWTOR Is Officially Dead."... etc. Of what is the largest popular IP in history, from one of the most respected developers, funded by one of the largest video game companies... it's just... uh, whatever.

Aion is dead. Rift is dead. Guild Wars is dead. SWTOR is dead. Warcraft might be dying but I can't tell because the entire front page is fucking news.

>.>

LOL@Fencers

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    God, I am so sick of this crap. Maybe I am jaded but I have over the years come to believe that gamers are the worst audience and consumers of their own media. The level of non-thinking, unsophistication and outright stupidity is astonishing.

>.>
    To be fair, a lot of gamers aren't interested in dissecting video games and understanding them, they just play them and if they get the sensation in their brain that makes them have fun, they like it, if not then it's a "terrible game". Gaming hasn't been around long enough to truly develop that "respect" movies and literature have. And I think the film audience beats the gaming audience in stupidity though, why else would movies like transformers be block buster hits? And since games are more interactive than movies or books, people gain the need to be fanboyish about the games they like and can't respect the games other people like, just like football team fans have a hatred of other team fans even if it's just a fucking game. But of course half of the "x game is dead" threads are blatant trolling. :P
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2012-01-06 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Take ToR as an example. You would have thought its voice acted questing system would become 'the standard' for MMO questing, yet a great deal of my friends actually prefer reading a box full of text! Because they're used to it? perhaps, but I think they prefer being able to read at their own pace.
    I can actually explain why this is so, because I'm one of these people. The great example is in mass effect, which is truly fully voiced, and many people skip the talk. Why? Efficiency. I can read through the lines much faster then voice actor will talk through them. This is the same reason why many people use questhelper, and why many people only read quest goal summary instead of full quest text. It's simply far more efficient to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played any mmo in over a year and I only just started looking into guild wars 2 this weekend. From what I've seen/read I am very impressed. I am really impressed with something I saw on the official site, I'm paraphrasing but it went something like, 'we want to make the best mmo'. I really like that attitude. I also really like that it seems like the debs sat down for whatbim sure was a long time and probably just brain stormed about what is and is not fun with the current mmo formula. It's pretty obvious that these guys want to make a truly fun game that will be truly fun to play with other people, even if they are strangers. I look forward to seeing more and more of this game.