Needing on items for Companions(NPC)

Is it going to be acceptable (etiquette) in ToR to need on items for your NPC companions? It almost seems like they need a third rolling option for this, since everyone can need on everything, even when the item isn't usable for their actual character.

Also, will you be able to gear your companions up in raid gear at level 50, and is there a point to doing this in the endgame?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I would say it's not acceptable. When you're in a (full) group the companion isn't there with you anyway so he/she has no reason to get gear over someone else who needs it. I don't remember running into that problem when I was in beta but I hope they change it so you can't roll need on gear you can't equip yourself.

Not acceptable imo.

Someone would get a bad rep. if they were with me and did that. ha

15+ Year Old Account
    Not acceptable imo, but i'd love to see a 3rd roll option, like Need > Offspec/Companion > Greed/Dissemble

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just wait 'till "Needing for mods" happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Or crafting materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    The wait is over.

I've been grouping all day, and I've seen people need on things that they can't use for the endurance mods. There were a couple of cases of people rolling on their armor type but incorrect primary stat to replace the mod with their own.

If they don't put item or class restrictions on things, I'm afraid we'll see people needing on the base item only to remove the mods and replace them with their own. It's logical, but this just seems like bad game design. Or, well, it's good game design because drops can be used by multiple classes, but bad design because human nature is questionable.

Deleted
    look, personally i think needing for a companion is like needing for an OS in WoW: ask it first, and only do so if there is noone else who can use it.

btw, once you reach max level and most people have a full set of endgame gear (flashpoint, raid or otherwise), it's better to see these things at least being put to use on a companion than not at all.

Deleted
    If nobody else needs it and you ask your party, sure, that's acceptable. If you ninja it from someone who needs it, it's unacceptable. It goes without saying.

I'm pretty sure how it works right now you can need on gear that is of a lower type (eg. heavy users rolling on light armor). Saw a sentinel win a need roll vs sage on will/endurance light armor boots (he was nice enough to sell the boots to the sage afterwards X_X).
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

it seems they didn't learn the lesson from wows' loot roll system

Some Sith Inq took a heavy armor helm over my Mercenary.
    Looks like the game doesn't lack asshats.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this would come under the green aspect of the roll since its more like u rolling for an offspec, I mean if noone else needs then sure u can hav for companion but if noone else wants and you ask then no reason why u shouldnt be able to.
    Unless ofc everyone would need on the item im sure they hav a companion they could deck that item out in.

Its a confusing one hehe
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

It is more acceptable than typing "ToR" instead of "TOR". This is "The OLD Republic", not "The of Republic".

I would say that as long as you make your intentions clear and DO NOT TAKE GEAR FROM A PLAYER it is perfectly fine to roll for gear for your companion. Your main companion, though, not every single one.

Like others have said, I would say it's only acceptable if nobody needs and you ask first. As to your other question, I doubt you would gear your companion for raiding because you wont be taking them into raids.

I meant to make a thread about looting the other day but didn't have time, so thank you for bringing it up.

There is no LFD here, if you get caught ninja-ing stuff then before long the server community is going to know about it. Seriously, just asking "can I need?" before clicking need will save everyone so much grief.

The other issue is looking more closely at the stats and being familiar with what your class needs. As a merc BH I've had my loot taken many, many times by inattentive SW marauders who just look at the green stat increase and don't notice that the gloves have aim. Marauders don't need aim! And wouldn't you know it, its bind on pickup.