Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWLLY View Post
    There are spells casted on your feet, where you can't avoid the initial damage and the others can avoid its total damage.
    I'm pretty sure healers can tell when that happens. Either way, like most things, it's meant to be the all mighty formula.

Well, the only issue with this is I believe gearscore has an exponential scale on dps done. 4.0 raids highest dps was about 20-22k (About where ICC endgame was due to ratings being killed) and 4.3 is well over 40k, where the Ilevel has only rose about 50-70 points out of 400.

Overall a program that could determine a player's "Worth" would have to take in to account dps vs gear (Wierd curves taken in to account), avoidable damage taken, damage done to proper targets, self healing vs damage taken, all of this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    Its like:
    Player A Ilvl 360 20k dps, he gets a score of 15
    Player B Ilvl 360 22k dps, he gets a score of 17
    (pure examples ofc)
    you can then easy see that player B is alot better than player A, and therefore he deserves to get the gear over player A.
    If you ask me thats the best way to sort loot.
    congratulations you have now mastered 1/3rd of the problem.

really, that is the best way to sort loot. its just a damn shame tanks and healers need loot too. how to you quantify their contributions?

perhaps the restosham outhealed the discpriest... well, in a 25man LFR (which, i assume this applies to as well) itd be sad to see a shaman NOT outperforming a disc priest. does that mean he deserves the healing trinket? maybe the disc priest used 'dispel' and the sham isnt competent enough to do that? or maybe w/ absorbs and heals the disc outdid the sham? maybe, although the priest didnt heal as much HPS, he healed the players that NEEDED the critical heals and the only reason you beat the encounter was the priest saving his big CDs for times he needed them?

how about tanks? i SOLO tanked ultraxion, lootship, and spine. tanking loot dropped. OT that never cast taunt, used 12 moves (Death Strike 12 times during a 10 minute fight), won the tanking trinket. now, IMO i deserved that trinket. but how would it be possible to decide which tank actually contributed more? higher on dmg taken? well, kinda, that would mean he was tanking more often or harder mobs, but it could mean he didnt rotate his CDs as effectively.

tldr: i 100% agree that your 'pure examples' would be an excellent way to hypothetically distribute loot among DPSrs. what about tanks and heals? assuming that no1 stood in fire, every1 used their interupts, interupted the proper spells, helped heal in any way possible (retadins... youre SUPPOSED to be healing on your WoG cd if you have the GCD, for example), etc
    Last edited by Maldread; 2011-12-18 at 08:44 PM.

The only problem is that DPS does not scale linearly with iLevel or Gearscore. At all. For anyone. Ever.

Stupid way to measure. Maybe rogue X and rogue Y did the same damage and Y's ilvl is lower, but you have to take into consideration how many times X got a debuff that made him have to stop DPSing in comparison to Y (like having to leave the twilight realm on ultraxion), how many times X got a debuff that reduced his damage in comparison to Y (ice lance on Hagara if your ranged aren't taking them like they should be), how many times X peeled off to DPS adds while Y tunneled the boss, etc.

As I stated there are also fights which will benefit one spec over another.
    First you say compare the damage done, then all of a sudden you say take into account the damge taken.
    If you can't make up your mind what the requirements of your measure are then how are we suppossed to take it seriously.
    So yes there is good reason to be "hating on the meters" when they are and always have been hugely flawed as a mesure.

Your big idea has actually been done before, but nobody can remember it. Because it was rubbish.