Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    why? i am about to tell you why

sephiroth was a TRUE villain, not some crack pot who just wanted to destroy the world like some believe.

he truly wanted to cause pain to others.

not in the game, but in the movie, sephiroth makes the best villain quote of all time

"tell me what you cherish most, please give me the pleasure of taking it away."

THAT is a villain

If Sephiroth was controlling Jenova, then I can see him as being one of the best villians ever, though If it was Jenova for most of the game I would have to say no....

Although I am not really sure who it was

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    One thing though..... When you first see "Sephiroth" on the Junon boat, he doesn't recognize you.... how can Sephiroth, if he was controlling Jenova not know the person who killed him
    Sephiroth did not know Cloud, he knew Zack. This is why Sephiroth does not remember him, as Cloud was in his Shinra uniform (the blue armor thing). Remember that through most of FF7 Cloud is pretending to be Zack (due to the mako/j-cell corruption) and Zack wanting him to be his legacy, you find out later that all of Cloud's memories was Zack's memories. This is why Tifa never remembered Cloud* coming to Nibelheim that day, even though she was apart of it and got stabbed by Sephiroth in the reactor.

Really no other FF7 lore masters here? /sadface. So much to do, so little time!

@order; Sephiroth does not say please, that is not very villany :P proper quote is "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away."
    Last edited by mmoc282c47af3d; 2011-12-18 at 10:06 PM. Reason: put zack instead of cloud :P

10+ Year Old Account
    it was the whole Jenova was Sephiroth thing that killed the game for me. I hate it when games and movies for that matter have an awesome story line until the ending kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    Sephiroth is awesome as a villain because you get to play the backstory of how he became so angry and twisted. You see him go from a hero to a mad man who is lashing out because his life has been a lie, you can emphasize even though he is doing bad things. Compare that to Shinra/Rufus who are evil simply because they crave power, they're boring villains.

Jenova isn't Sephiroth, Sephiroth went mad on his own, he made them decisions on his own, Jenova does Sephiroth's bidding when he needs it (she fights us to defend Sephiroth). After all, without Sephiroth she'd still be in a giant test tube in the reactor.
    well, sephiroth's life wasnt a lie actually

sephiroth only read research on his clones or w/e

he had a real mother, and a real father, and while he was in the womb he had jenova cells implanted in him, he was the first, and the only successful human with jenova implanted DNA, the research he read were attempts to create another "sephiroth"

he read about a life that wasnt his, but believed it to be his

its really quite brilliant when you think about it

10+ Year Old Account
    ff7 started the emo teen phase of villians and anti-social heroes... though seph age is anyones guess.
    Last edited by Masqerader; 2011-12-18 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Sephiroth is a bad guy?! omg way to ruin it for me1!

I thought Kuja from IX was pretty good, he was the bad guy throughout 90% of the game. You spend three discs of content chasing him around two different worlds only to find out that he's just a loser in the end like everybody else. My second favorite story to tactics, although tactics changed bad guys like 68 times.

Kuja also destroyed all of existence, Sephiroth can't even come close to claiming that.
    I agree with you, Kuja was always my favorite bad guy ever in any game. I love the japanese way of being a villain, unbeatable, dominant and pretty much unattackable until the very end.

I just have to add that the story in FF8 and FF9 is just wonderful and it made me do all the "uneccesary" stuff aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    well, sephiroth's life wasnt a lie actually

sephiroth only read research on his clones or w/e

he had a real mother, and a real father, and while he was in the womb he had jenova cells implanted in him, he was the first, and the only successful human with jenova implanted DNA, the research he read were attempts to create another "sephiroth"

he read about a life that wasnt his, but believed it to be his

its really quite brilliant when you think about it
    Sephiroth read his own experiment, there was no clones of him till after the Nibelheim incidient where Hojo wanted to test the reunion theory. (which is what Cloud and Zack were being tested for). There were many cases of experiemnts with cells and stuff (Genesis, etc) however Sephiroth was the special and unique one, Hojo had no need to clone him till he had gone.

Hojo + Lucrecia are the birth parents of Sephiroth. (You find out about Lucrecia through obtaining Vincent and entering a cave where she has sealed herself because of the guild).

[QUOTE=Vixene;14702415]Sephiroth did not know Cloud, he knew Zack. This is why Sephiroth does not remember him, as Cloud was in his Shinra uniform (the blue armor thing). Remember that through most of FF7 Cloud is pretending to be Zack (due to the mako/j-cell corruption) and Zack wanting him to be his legacy, you find out later that all of Cloud's memories was Zack's memories. This is why Tifa never remembered Cloud* coming to Nibelheim that day, even though she was apart of it and got stabbed by Sephiroth in the reactor.

Actually.... cloud killed Seph without his helmet, its clear in the scene. But I believe that He says he doesnt recognize cloud because he wants to maniplulate Cloud by telling him lies like he does later on.

After some research, I do believe it was Seph controlling Jenovas body... I am pretty happy over this thread. It made me appreciate Sephiroths character a lot more by finding the truth! Constantly Sephiroth in Jenovas body says "Jenova will be at the reunion blah blah blah." I doubt that if it was Jenova controlling her body, she wouldnt be talking about her self as "jenova will be" and not "I will be"

Sephiroth was a fully realised bad guy, one of the first in the console rpg genre. He was fully entrenched in every story the game had to tell.

And by the way, FF7 was not the first rpg to kill off a main character. Phantasy Star 2 did it years before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    One thing though..... When you first see "Sephiroth" on the Junon boat, he doesn't recognize you.... how can Sephiroth, if he was controlling Jenova not know the person who killed him
    Dude, don't ask me I tried to get into the lore of FFVII, but couldn't.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=sef24;14702508]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vixene View Post
    Sephiroth did not know Cloud, he knew Zack. This is why Sephiroth does not remember him, as Cloud was in his Shinra uniform (the blue armor thing). Remember that through most of FF7 Cloud is pretending to be Zack (due to the mako/j-cell corruption) and Zack wanting him to be his legacy, you find out later that all of Cloud's memories was Zack's memories. This is why Tifa never remembered Cloud* coming to Nibelheim that day, even though she was apart of it and got stabbed by Sephiroth in the reactor.

Actually.... cloud killed Seph without his helmet, its clear in the scene. But I believe that He says he doesnt recognize cloud because he wants to maniplulate Cloud by telling him lies like he does later on.

After some research, I do believe it was Seph controlling Jenovas body... I am pretty happy over this thread. It made me appreciate Sephiroths character a lot more by finding the truth! Constantly Sephiroth in Jenovas body says "Jenova will be at the reunion blah blah blah." I doubt that if it was Jenova controlling her body, she wouldnt be talking about her self as "jenova will be" and not "I will be"
    Your right, it's probably a loot hole or because the clone is one of the mindless sephiroth clones you see everywhere when obtaining the black materia, no thoughts or anything just a empty body waiting to be told what to do. As the guys in the same area mumble the same similar things the sephiroth did in junon boat.

We never really fought Jenova though, just pieces of her body. They "dropped" off on her way to Sephiroth, everything until just the heart. In advent children the only thing left of Jenova is just her head.

It has also been suggested from the material present in the Ultimania Omega, that rather than there being more than one Black Cape, there was just one, Jenova, who was cutting off bits of its body as it journeyed towards Sephiroth, until finally all that remains is a heart. In the original version of the events the party would catch up with the Black Cape in the Whirlwind Maze, and the figure would remove the hood to show it has no face, and then take off the cloak to show it is nothing but Jenova's heart floating in midair, the final piece, which would then transform into a monster.
    Last edited by mmoc282c47af3d; 2011-12-18 at 10:23 PM.

Nostalgia + guy with long hair and big sword. The nostalgia/rose-colored glasses blinds people to the bad character development and plot in FF7.

JRPGs are very bad when it comes to plot and character development. They focus too much on the character art designs and graphics as opposed to working on a story. It's why JRPGs are doing so bad outside of Japan. Bioware and Bethesda have taken the reigns of king of RPGs worldwide. Even the Japanese video game developers admit it, except for Square, who continues to pump out FF games.

The only reason he ranks so high is that he is the main villain in one of the most known RPGs ever. For the record Kefka >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sephiroth.

goddamn it now i have to play FF7 again

sephiroth was an awesome bad guy yes
    but he didnt get the epic final fight he deserved, until Kingdom Hearts

everyone will have different opinions on who's the best villian, and i think that sephirot was a good one

he had a badass sword afterall :]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Nostalgia + guy with long hair and big sword. The nostalgia/rose-colored glasses blinds people to the bad character development and plot in FF7.

JRPGs are very bad when it comes to plot and character development. They focus too much on the character art designs and graphics as opposed to working on a story. It's why JRPGs are doing so bad outside of Japan. Bioware and Bethesda have taken the reigns of king of RPGs worldwide. Even the Japanese video game developers admit it, except for Square, who continues to pump out FF games.
    Um no...that's only been recently since we have entered the next-gen of gaming. wRPGs are different to jRPGs and cannot be compared. jRPGs are still doing very well in the western market. (I guess you didn't play dragon age 2 trolol). jRPGs had been known for their character development, especially Final Fantasy, you can argue plot but people have complained about the stories being so similar now. wRPGs follow the same thing only have no character development (DA1 had character development, DA2 did not) or story (Oblivion/Skyrim has virtually no story =/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07SK2zLy8Lw
    Last edited by mmoc282c47af3d; 2011-12-18 at 10:31 PM.

Sephiroth was cool. He was cool in all the ways that an insane clown isn't. Sephiroth is like if the Fonz went evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ShayDay View Post
    Kafka > Sephiroth..

People can say what they want but Kafka changed and ruined an entire world, Sephiroth did not
    i completely agree Kafka ACTUALLY succeeded, he was by far my favorite FF villain.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

Quick question.

Back when I was a kid and played FF VII on the playstation with 3 CD's ( lol ), I quit after I went back to my starting village or something. Where I think I had to climb up to Sephiroth. How far was I ingame?

Because some CD broke and I never got to play again.