Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Taris Memory leak temp fix

Ok so, I believe the source of the leak that is locking up tons of people is from a quest in the later zones, either Aurek or something. When I finally managed to hand up a few of the quests in that zone, it stopped happening. Also, do not pick up the bonus quest chain from the planet (which you would normally see on the way back to your ship). It's not just one quest causing this issue.

I tested the bonus quest chain myself, picked it up and 5 mins later, BOOM. Relogged in, abandoned quest, and everything's fine again.

So my advice is for now, go about your usual business in Taris, class quests have no issue, and same with 3/4 of the normal quests there. By the time you complete your class quest, you may not even be at the later zones, which would explain why some people were hit by it and others not. Also, if you have a huge amount of RAM this seems to at least help prevent you from locking up, though you will start to notice a slow down.

Hope this helps!

I wondered why I was experiencing poor performance and frames skipping when I was working on the bonus chain.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep that would (probably) be your PC having enough RAM to handle the leak. Someone in general chat reported similar things; he had 16gigs of RAM so despite a slow down, it didn't cause him to crash and burn.

Deleted
    I have 12gb and just got stuck with the quest. As soon as I got the quest, game became slow as molasses and CTD'd soon after. Don't have time even to remove tracking before game detonates. And of course crashing puts me back in the end of queue.

The problem is the quest tracker gets into some sort of infinite loop and breaks your comp. Solution that worked for me - try to turn off ALL tracked quests. Only track 1 at a time and prepare for crashes.

I got off of Taris.. only barely. But Hoth is nice!

Deleted
    My problem is, I don't have time to turn off tracked quests before CTD hits.

Can I ask for the exact name of the quest? Would be helpful

Deleted
    Blackout. Beware the fat black Sith near the end of the planet's questlines.

Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post
    My problem is, I don't have time to turn off tracked quests before CTD hits.

Your fps should be down to nothing... assuming that... what I did (very slowly) was pop quick travel, and get my ass to another town. Should give you enough time for you to untrack all the quests.

Maybe I got lucky.

Deleted
    Yeah, that was next on my agenda. Queue of 150 after crash is bad for my mental wellbeing.

EDIT: No such luck. Game crashes soon after I activate shuttle call. And queue 300 now. Seriously BW?
    Last edited by mmoc5960230495; 2011-12-20 at 08:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've had a similair expirience on Taris, but i found entirly different reasons for the memory leaking.

once i fully explored the entire map, everything that had to do with any form of map interaction (quick travel, speeder vendors, just opening the map in general) cased huge frame drops and screen tearing. just coming close to a speeder vendor (and thus letting the game preload the map incase you click it) was the one thing that really killed it. having additional map icons on your minimap (i.e. partymember icons) cause the same issue, but only after a couple of minutes.

i was able to finish my normal quests (not the bonus chain, i'll do that once they fix it) was just: don't group up, and don't use any form of map interaction at all (qucik travel, speeders, the map itself). and for those that haven't fully explored yet; don't do it.

not sure if the above sounds like your situations ?
    Last edited by Mteq; 2011-12-20 at 08:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad I didn't have to experience this, sounds like it sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

4gb RAM here, and yes I started experience major lag spikes when starting the bonus quests, especially when entering new areas, aquiring new quests and completing quests. I never crashed though. I heard untracking most quests and only track one at a time should help a bit though.

Deleted
    After hours of queuing, got away for Taris. Thank god for emergency fleet pass in bars.