Thread: Network card

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Network card

Does the ASrock Z68 Pro3-M need a wireless network card, or will it be integreted on the motherboard? And also, how do I check so I never need to ask anyone again?

Thanks

All motherboards have wired NIC and no wireless unless otherwise noted.

Don't use wireless unless there really is no other option available, as it will be shit for gaming. If you really really do require it, use some internal PCI or PCIe card, never ever USB wireless dongle.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    All motherboards have wired NIC and no wireless unless otherwise noted.

Don't use wireless unless there really is no other option available, as it will be shit for gaming. If you really really do require it, use some internal PCI or PCIe card, never ever USB wireless dongle.
    I think this reasoning stems from about 8 years ago when wireless technology truly was garbage. I've used both an ALFA usb wifi card and the built in wifi chip on my laptop for years with great performance in online gaming. My latency in League of Legends is constantly 60ms or less and I get ~3 MB/s downstream speeds when torrenting via WiFi. Sure, if I plugged in I would get 5 MB/s but honestly, do you use any games that require enough downstream bandwidth to have multiple HD video streams open at the same time? I can torrent over WiFi while gaming and have zero issues.. I really don't know where the WiFi hate comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by gneugen View Post
    I think this reasoning stems from about 8 years ago when wireless technology truly was garbage. I've used both an ALFA usb wifi card and the built in wifi chip on my laptop for years with great performance in online gaming. My latency in League of Legends is constantly 60ms or less and I get ~3 MB/s downstream speeds when torrenting via WiFi. Sure, if I plugged in I would get 5 MB/s but honestly, do you use any games that require enough downstream bandwidth to have multiple HD video streams open at the same time? I can torrent over WiFi while gaming and have zero issues.. I really don't know where the WiFi hate comes from.
    Bandwidth with WiFi is not (usually) the problem. It's the reliability of the connection which varies for hundreds of reasons that are out of your control.

If your neighbor behind the wall turns on microwave oven it can disconnect you, if you walk between your wlan router and computer with a metal object in your hand it might disconnect you, if a neighbor across the street plants a tree between your house and the wlan ISP you're connected to it might disconnect you. These problems are smaller with n-standard routers if your router and card has at least three antennas (one antenna card still is shit which is why USB dongles suck), but there are still various things out of your control that affect connection quality.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If it's not a lifestyle inconvenient for you, you should always choose wired network over wireless.

Wired -> never has disconnect problems because of its physical connection
    Wireless -> can have disconnect problems because of its wireless connection

It's true, wired may require some work on your part to arrange the cables around your house in an orderly manner, but on the plus side, neighbors can never tap into your router/modem with hacking programs(which are very easy to use these days - no, seriously), and you'll never have disconnect issues caused by factors that other people mentioned here.

It makes you feel more futuristic, but it's not that futuristic. Plus, your brain will enjoy having less radio waves going through it.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    If it's not a lifestyle inconvenient for you, you should always choose wired network over wireless.

Wired -> never has disconnect problems because of its physical connection
    Wireless -> can have disconnect problems because of its wireless connection

It's true, wired may require some work on your part to arrange the cables around your house in an orderly manner, but on the plus side, neighbors can never tap into your router/modem with hacking programs(which are very easy to use these days - no, seriously), and you'll never have disconnect issues caused by factors that other people mentioned here.

It makes you feel more futuristic, but it's not that futuristic. Plus, your brain will enjoy having less radio waves going through it.
    Not to nitpick, but you can have disconnect issues with wired; bad cables, bent cables, puppy chewing cable, etc. Also, disagree with your statement regarding 'neighbors can never tap...'. If you have an IP address, you can be hacked. Only way to not get hacked is to not be connected.