Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Low DPS as fire?

Hey guys, I'm currently having trouble as Fire on my mage. My character is us(DOT)battle(DOT)net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Chaostiger/simple I'm pulling 19-22k raidbuffed. I know the rotation. I'm keeping LB and Crit mass up, spamming fireball and using Pyroblast! instantly when it procs, as well as rotating flame orb and combustion. I have an addon that gives me good combustion timing. Do you guys see any errors with my gear or stats that I can fix? Thanks so much!

Logs would be lovely.

worldoflogs(dot)com/reports/xktsyok6z6cas7qf/details/22/
    Thanks
    Last edited by chaoschief; 2011-12-14 at 10:42 PM.

It's impossible for us to tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't post logs.

Everyone claims that they're doing everything right, but clearly you're not doing what you're saying if you're only pulling 20k.

The first thing that I notice is that you're not optimally reforged. There are definitely a few points you can switch around if you bothered to use a reforging calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by avengingbt View Post
    It's impossible for us to tell you what you're doing wrong if you don't post logs.

Everyone claims that they're doing everything right, but clearly you're not doing what you're saying if you're only pulling 20k.

The first thing that I notice is that you're not optimally reforged. There are definitely a few points you can switch around if you bothered to use a reforging calculator.
    I posted logs, and I used Mr.Robot. If that's wrong could you link me to an optimal calculator? . And by doing everything right, I mean based on the information I have. If I thought I was doing everything right I wouldn't be posting here. Thanks

use wowreforge.com imo its a better calculator that doesnt speculate on stat weights like roboto seems to( roboto seems to give weird results to a lot of ppl)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    use wowreforge.com imo its a better calculator that doesnt speculate on stat weights like roboto seems to( roboto seems to give weird results to a lot of ppl)
    Site is shitting itself for me. Errors, errors everywhere. I will try it when it's fixed, but can anyone else confirm that this is better than Mr. Robot?

4-piece Tier 12 is > 2-piece Tier 13

Keep tier 12 on until you have all four pieces of Tier 13.

Ask Mr. Robot is generally good for most gear options, but it does not currently have a built-in softcap on haste.

The softcap for you would be 2005, assuming you have the 5% haste buff when you raid. It is 1565 if you are given Dark Intent in your raid. Once you have four pieces of tier 13, it will be 1505 (assuming no Dark Intent).

So it's hit (to 17%) > haste (to 2005) > crit > mastery > haste (above 2005) -- reforge haste to crit after the soft cap has been reached.

Also, DMC:V seems to be better than Rune of Zeth.

You have some pieces of gear reforged to mastery, which is not good. It may have been left from when you were once arcane.

Most of this kind of information can be found on MMO's fire mage compendium.

The proper timing of combustion also makes the difference. 19-22k says to me, without looking at logs, that you are doing your rotation correctly but are having a hard time using combustion at the right moments. Get the CombustionHelper addon, or at least make sure you have Living Bomb + a good Ignite + Pyroblast! before applying Combustion.

First, I will switch to my 4 piece tier 12. Next, I just went through all my items and I have not reforged INTO mastery on any gear. I'm already using Combustion Helper.

Looking at just yor'sahj and comparing you to the other fire mage, it's pretty easy to see why you're behind.

You say that you're keeping CM, flame orb, combustion and LB up, but he's got at least 10% better overall uptime in every case, his uptime on combustion is 3x yours.

Combustion is a crazy cooldown because you want to wait for the perfect moment to get max effect, but if you are waiting 5 min for that perfect moment - the mod can do this to you sometimes - then you are doing less dmg than you would have if you used it 2x in a 'near perfect' moment in the same window.

I prefer to have all dots up, including pyro and wait for the first fireball/pyro crit and then pop it. If you get lucky and get a rapid fb/instant pyro double crit, that's awesome, but it can still be somewhat rare.

He also appears to aoe better than you.

I think you'll find useful data comparing yourself to dubzero and paying close attention to his uptimes, even he's not perfect (who is), but he's much closer to it than you are atm.

Yeah, I have been trying to wait on combustion and I will try to use it more often. The only thing is that Dubzero is significantly better geared then me, one reason for the higher DPS.I will work on optimizing my CM FO combustion and LB uptime. I'm raiding tonight and will post more logs. I will use Wowreforge when the site comes up. Thanks alot

He could be in full 410, he shouldn't be doing 14k more than you under any circumstances even if you were in 378.

Quote Originally Posted by Altairina View Post
    He could be in full 410, he shouldn't be doing 14k more than you under any circumstances even if you were in 378.
    That's why I'm here. The only problem you see is my uptimes?

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 12:17 AM ----------

Hey guys, I finally got on Wowreforge, put in my haste goal to 2005 and I reforged to what is says.
    Are there good reforges?
    us(dot)battle(dot)net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Chaostiger/advanced
    Thanks

You should notice a significantly higher number of Hot Streak procs going off with 4-piece T13 on.

I wouldn't sit and wait for a perfect combust every fight (meaning waiting for a huge ignite on top of LB and PB!), but I would definitely wait a few more seconds for a decent one. Using it off of cooldown without a decent ignite will waste it.

Also, for aoe/add situations, make sure you are loading up a central target with all of your dots, and if it's available, pop combust before hitting your Ignite proc and spreading all 4 dots to all nearby enemies... for ridiculous damage.

I see you have killed heroic Morchok. 19-22k on this fight isn't terrible given all of its movement, but make sure you are using tons of scorch while running to the crystals, stromps, and behind the stone shards. Try and position yourself by two overlapping stone shards to get a little window that allows you to keep attacking Morchok freely.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoschief View Post
    I posted logs, and I used Mr.Robot. If that's wrong could you link me to an optimal calculator? . And by doing everything right, I mean based on the information I have. If I thought I was doing everything right I wouldn't be posting here. Thanks
    Apologies I missed the log link, I'm used to seeing a nice blue link to click on, I missed it with the text.

Ok so, someone above posted an extra explanation of the reforging. If wowreforge is down you could try the addon reforgelite, it basically does the same thing. I prefer wowreforge, but if it's not working you don't really have that option.

Ok so let's have a look at your log, starting with Ultraxion:

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ee95...000429#summary

I compared Chaostiger with Dubzero.

First thing I notice is he used the lightwell more. Not a dps issue, but hey, healing is good too.

Living Bomb - 82.4% Uptime vs 84.9% Uptime. He beats you on Living Bomb uptime. In all honesty both players should probably be higher on this. I know you can have some bad luck with it dropping after you hit your button, but 85-90% is definitely possible, maybe even more.

Fireball - 15.7 Hits Per Min vs 22.1 Hits Per Min. This is a HUGE difference. Somewhere he finds time to cast almost 5 more fireballs than you every single minute. The easy answer is to say he has more haste, but there's no way in hell he has enough haste that he casts 5 extra fireballs every single minute. You're not spamming hard enough. Do you lag a lot?

Pyroblast! - 2.1 Hits per Min vs 4.4 Hits Per Min. Once again, a huge difference, but this was somewhat predictable with the number of fireballs you cast.

Combustion - You actually did pretty well with combustion. Good job.

Fire Blast - You're casting 2.3 Fire Blasts per minute. At first I thought this was just an attempt to get a fast cast in before having to disapear to survive the blast, which I guess could be understandable, but you seem to be casting fire blast quite a lot on every single fight. I think you're probably over-using it. You should only really be using this to spread dots via impact. If it's single target, just forget about it.

Flame Orb - 12 Hits Per Min vs 15.9 Hits Per Min. Fairly self explanatory, you're missing your flame orb cooldown.

Once again I compared Chaostiger with Dubzero, this time for Yorsahj:

http://raidbots.com/comparebot/4ee9602f4b1cfbec5000026b

Again a huge difference in fireball/pyroblast casts.

The main difference here is the AoE. He does a good job of spreading Combution + Ignite during the AoE phases with Impact (yet casts less Fire Blasts to do so, much more efficient use of Fire Blast). He also seems to utilise Blast Wave/Flamestrike much more than you do.

Note his difference in Scorch casts. He casts scorch more than you do. That's because either he's running around more than you are, or because you run around without casting anything some of the time.

Hopefully you can take something useful from all that.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-12-15 at 03:00 AM.

I'm not concerned about AoE. I have recently stopped using Fire Blast as a single target spell, I failed on that part. I'm not sure what's going on with the fireball, maybe I have to move more? No idea why, I'm always spamming it. I'll try to keep LB up more. Also I'll use my FO right as it gets off cooldown. Thanks for the help. We got our second H morchock kill and I only pulled 21k and I tried pretty hard, no idea what's going on. I'm raiding now and will have more logs tonight.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 03:04 PM ----------

Here are my logs from last night. Please let me know of any problems you see.
    worldoflogs(dot)com/reports/f3r2pmclamqf20j2/
    Last edited by chaoschief; 2011-12-15 at 03:16 AM.

I don't think it is the lowest, but it isn't the highest (unless you pray to the RNG gods and they love you)

Quote Originally Posted by smashisleet View Post
    I don't think it is the lowest, but it isn't the highest (unless you pray to the RNG gods and they love you)
    Yeah, I don't know what is wrong with my DPS. A friend of mine suggested trinkets, and that Rune of Zeth sucks really bad. Is this true and if so what should I get that isn't a DS drop(need it now lol). Can this cause like a 5k dps loss?
    He suggested to try the Foul Gift of the Demon Lord. I read it is good for Fmages. Will try it.
    Last edited by chaoschief; 2011-12-15 at 05:44 PM.

Choosing Gear using BiS List, Proper Reforge, Proper Gem, Proper enchant and its impossible you will get Low dps by doing proper rotations.

Compared to other spec Fire Burst depends on ignite and Fire mage should picked BiS list only (all classes do). Yes 19-22k dps long fight is BAD and too low. Your rotation as mentioned and add-ons are right. Its just your gear thats causing you to have low DPS. Im Full 378 all BiS and Im doing 28-33k dps. I even got lucky on combustion and reached 40k dps Burst. (all this numbers are single target) If your on the same iL as me you should be doing the same numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomia View Post
    Choosing Gear using BiS List, Proper Reforge, Proper Gem, Proper enchant and its impossible you will get Low dps by doing proper rotations.

Compared to other spec Fire Burst depends on ignite and Fire mage should picked BiS list only (all classes do). Yes 19-22k dps long fight is BAD and too low. Your rotation as mentioned and add-ons are right. Its just your gear thats causing you to have low DPS. Im Full 378 all BiS and Im doing 28-33k dps. I even got lucky on combustion and reached 40k dps Burst. (all this numbers are single target) If your on the same iL as me you should be doing the same numbers
    It's good to hear that I'm not screwing up my rotation. If you could take a look at my armory for one second, do you see any changes I can make? Thanks for your help.