looting in groups

The game has been alot of fun so far. One issue that comes up is that it seems everyone can roll need on anything in flash points. For instance i (bounty hunter) lost a roll on heavy armor gloves and also a pistol to a imperial agent that uses rifles and medium armor. I guess that he can probably equip the items on a companion but i can see this sort of thing bringing ninja looting to a whole new level, people stealing loot for their sidekicks! not a big deal now since I'm only level 11 but maybe a bigger issue down the road...

10+ Year Old Account
    This indeed true, but those players are not going to survive in the long run. There is no LFG in SWTOR and if they keep needing items that they actually don't need, other players will stop grouping with them. This is how it used to work back when there was no LFG in WoW remember; you actually knew who was a ninja on your server and most players never grouped with them. You should also consider the game is out just in less than a week and most people are not playing to be "nice" because they don't even know they will keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pymeran View Post
    This indeed true, but those players are not going to survive in the long run. There is no LFG in SWTOR and if they keep needing items that they actually don't need, other players will stop grouping with them.
    Quote for truth. The ninja craze in WoW was brought on by LFD/LFG tools. When you are limited to only your server, word spreads that you're an asshole, and people avoid grouping with you.

Also, keep in mind this is new to everyone. People might make legitimate mistakes, thinking they can use something they cannot, etc. Sorry for your bad luck. In my random groups people have asked to need for companions, and respected a player needing gear over companions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had that yet, thank goodness.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Just add ninjas to your ignore list and never deal with them again. I usually don't make a big deal out of it while leveling, but I will pass blatant jerks along to friends and guildies to ignore as well. If everyone does this then eventually ninjas will not be able to find groups.

Quote Originally Posted by FLANOFETT View Post
    I guess that he can probably equip the items on a companion
    I think this is actually an important point. Whatever people might like to think, gearing your companions is important. Therefore, if its an upgrade for you or your companion, you have a legitimate roll on it. This is why BW could not really add in the newer WoW features no need on loot you can't use, because you likely have a partner in crime that can

It is still courteous to let people need on "main gear" over "companion gear"

Ive seen it once, luckily i still won the roll. But yah it is anoying, and i consider it nothing short of a kind of ninjaing, like needing for offspec. If no one needs it for mainspec, then i dont mind if you need for your companion. But being polite in this matter goes a long way.

Luckily we dont have a LFD tool, so people who ninja often get a bad name and end up on alot of peoples ignore list. Goodluck finding a group or guild then, when you cant just queu up with a million others and fade into anonymity.

Oh boy, this is going to get interesting. I didn't think of the 'companion gear' issue. It's bad enough in WoW with main spec > offspec, but companions?

Main spec > companion main spec > offspec > companion offspec?

(And I know companions probably can't be respecced, it's just there for the amusement factor. )

Which do you prioritise? Companions, or offspecs? Hm!

Deleted
    You just need to be patient, especially if you are talking about loot obtained in low level flashpoints. I passed on an orange medium armour (I'm an Imperial agent) because it had strength on it, despite the ability to remod it, in favor of a warrior in the group. You will get quest items in 3-4 levels to replace anything you get in flashpoints for that level, especially if you get orange armours, where you can buy mods with commendations. I have almost exclusively picked up nothing but commendations from quests, because the upgradable gear is so much better.

I'd only start worrying about ninja's at lvl 50, and you should, by that time, have a few people in friends list, or guild, to group with so you can avoid ninjas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pymeran View Post
    This indeed true, but those players are not going to survive in the long run. There is no LFG in SWTOR and if they keep needing items that they actually don't need, other players will stop grouping with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
    Quote for truth. The ninja craze in WoW was brought on by LFD/LFG tools. When you are limited to only your server, word spreads that you're an asshole, and people avoid grouping with you.
    Such naivety! If the NEED button lights up, they're going to click it, and that's just the stupid people, that's even before the self righteous 'if my companion can use it why can't I need it!!' people turn up.

It'll get better in the 8 / 16 mans once the guilds kick in, but before that it'll be no different.

I'm sure your ignore list will fill with these people, and I'm sure they won't care, there will always be 'other' players they can group with and eventually there will be server transfers and name changes. If wow has taught us anything it's that you can't rely on 'the community' since gaming became mainsteam, especially in a game where being 'evil' is an option.

Like it or not TOR is going to be made up of banned, failed and bored wow players, sure they'll be a mix of other who never got into wow but the bulk are going to be people looking for the green grass on the other side.
    Last edited by mmocd3e258d247; 2011-12-20 at 10:54 AM.

I have to say I disagree with people that think companion gear isn't as important as your own. As a melee dps class with no in-combat heals I find that my companion is often the deciding factor in whether I can complete a fight. If his gear isn't up to par however, he most likely just ends up taking a dirt nap, leaving me to drop out of combat or (more often than not) die. I actually take his gear into higher consideration than my own on account of this, as I can't count the times he has saved my ass from an otherwise hopeless situation. I do agree though that this can make for uncomfortable situations in groups rolling-wise, so I try to specify whether I'm going to be rolling on gear for myself or my companion.

People need to stop worrying about who wins the loot so much. That's the biggest problem. Let go of your hate. It's a game, and you'll run that flashpoint over and over again. Same as WoW. You'll get it eventually. Just chill and relax a bit.