Thread: Combat Issues

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Combat Issues

i think the combat is based heavily on:
    1. Hitting what is in front of u rather than what u target(i m also assuming your magic bolts will never track and follow a specific target like in wow)
    2. Moving to avoid damage rather than relying on hit/dodge stats

m i right on this?
    also, does hiding in cover provide damage reduction(like standing in bushes)?
    does hiding behind a tree or rock prevent damage(or will a magic bolt travel through these objects)?
    r there any other interesting features about combat worth mentioning?
    Last edited by Questar; 2011-12-20 at 12:36 PM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure about rocks and trees blocking attacks for you, however I do know that yes you will hit a mob standing directly in front of you. You can also double tap in any direction and you will dodge that way from attacks.

Here is a really informative video on how the combat works. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2011-12-20 at 12:46 PM.

ArenaNet hopes this will make combat more engaging (and less set game to auto attack and make a sandwich when soloing) and personally I think this combat system's gonna work out very well.
    1.) the game's targeting is based on a more action-y format, kind of like diablo, torchlight, or(a less actiony) Bastion. you can attack without a target
    2.) I don't know about you but I love the idea that I can move out of the way of a fire-ball or a bullet

doubt their will be any bushes to hide behind, but their will be skills that will alllow some classes to make magical barriers to block attacks and every class gets a dodge skill that has a limited resource
    Last edited by SPeedy26; 2011-12-20 at 12:49 PM.

thanks for the video. the combat feels like an fps to me. i think it will appeal to a lot of players.

will there be any spells that will home-in on a player?

Deleted
    There will be some abilities that hit their target no matter what from what I saw, however, most will not, most work by simply firing in said direction, so if the person/npc you're firing at moves, they might evade the attack.

And yes, you'll move a lot, don't expect to stand still in a fight much, which is what I like a lot.

I am not sure about bushes, but I understand bigger rocks will provide protection. Don't expect for rocks that are as small as you barely crouching behind them to work though.

And yes, more interesting things about combat, there are combos across classes, so someone creates a fire wall, someone shoots arrows through it, they become fire arrows. That will probably work good in PvP as well, for example you block someone somewhere with some ability so he can't move much thus evading and someone else shoots him/her with something, thus guaranteeing the hit, sort of how mages in WoW make that frost circle on the ground and people know if they're in it to not move out... but if they don't they will get hit by aoe... however in WoW they get hit either way if they're targeted.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2011-12-20 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    thanks for the video. the combat feels like an fps to me. i think it will appeal to a lot of players.

will there be any spells that will home-in on a player?
    No I don't believe so. maybe the Guardian's hammer spirit weapon command skill might from what I've seen but that's the only one I've seen home-in on a target.

Based on what I've seen and some dev commentaries I watched a few months back I'd say about 20-40% of projectiles will "home in" on the target. The (vast) majority will not, however.

Seems reasonable.

it would be nice if things like tall grasses and bushes provided a small dmg reduction if players stand in them... like 1-5% reduction is good enough to make combat more tactical.

Deleted
    agree with Questar

I'm pretty sure, and this is a bit of a stretch since i have not tried the game in a long time, if you hide behind a large rock or something and someones aims a targeted ability(even a mob) it wont hit you, now this is just from memory so i might be wrong.

Deleted
    Now that I think about it, it might be a bit more difficult to play a ranged character..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Now that I think about it, it might be a bit more difficult to play a ranged character..
    I think it's going to be difficult to play any character.

It's going to take some getting used to for a lot of us I'm sure. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I think it's going to be difficult to play any character.

It's going to take some getting used to for a lot of us I'm sure. :P
    That's for sure. Now I just gotta decide to play an Elementalist or Mesmer... I'll wait until the open beta or whenever the NDA lifts so I can see some gameplay.

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    it would be nice if things like tall grasses and bushes provided a small dmg reduction if players stand in them... like 1-5% reduction is good enough to make combat more tactical.
    Maybe instead make arrows and projectiles move a bit slower although fire would burn the entire area

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the combat is based heavily on:
    1. Hitting what is in front of u rather than what u target(i m also assuming your magic bolts will never track and follow a specific target like in wow)
    2. Moving to avoid damage rather than relying on hit/dodge stats
    m i right on this?
    also, does hiding in cover provide damage reduction(like standing in bushes)?
    does hiding behind a tree or rock prevent damage(or will a magic bolt travel through these objects)?
    are there any other interesting features about combat worth mentioning?
    very few skills/abilities track/home-in on the target even though you have the target selected they can avoid the skill simply by moving in a different direction once the skill is fired. there are other skills that have to be aimed, mainly place-able aoe abilities.

hiding behind cover prevents the skill from hitting you all together, though the skill can still be fired at you behind cover, aoe placed right can still hit you behind cover though. cover in GW2 is anything from a tree, to a wagon to another player. any large object in the flight path of the skill can be blocked. i see alot of white knighting happening in GW2 future.

interesting feature about combat? casting while moving, nuff sed!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh oh and make Asura puntable!

>.>

<.<

Too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    hmm that may not be the case. i think of it more of the disadvantages of being a melee player is now brought up to par with that of being a ranged.

prior to this, a melee player has the disadvantage of needing to be in close range to deal major damage. whereas a ranged player has the advantage of dealing damage at long distance. now this disadvantage is balanced by the potential of missing a shot on the part of the ranged player.
    bear in mind this is not a plate vs cloth armor comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthedbear View Post
    Maybe instead make arrows and projectiles move a bit slower although fire would burn the entire area
    this is a good idea as well! much more tactical decisions to be made. maybe not just fire but any aoe damage.
    to use the environment or to deny it to the enemy...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Oh oh and make Asura puntable!

>.>

<.<

Too much?
    This
    those little egg heads would think twice before they call my Norn Bookah then (evil Grin)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SPeedy26 View Post
    This
    those little egg heads would think twice before they call my Norn Bookah then (evil Grin)
    >.>
    <.<

Bookah

The combat reminds me of Vindictus, personally. That game would've been amazing too, but I don't think they had enough funding to keep coming out with content fast enough for the players.