Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

SWTOR off USB Stick?

I have a work-issued laptop that I use to play WoW off a 32GB USB stick.

I am wondering if it's possible to play SWTOR off a USB stick as well?

I'll try it in the next few days, but I figured I'd ask here. I'll post my results.

Loading times will probably be quite long.

The answer to your question can be found in the technical aspect of the installation. If the game requires registry keys to be present before starting the game, you will have a slightly harder time getting this to work. I'm not saying it won't work, but you'll need some tools and some basic registry know-how to extract the registry from a physical desktop to a laptop. Then you need to import the registry on your laptop and then play the game.

Plus, you'll need to change any path references to reflect the hard path (C:\, H:\, etc).

If the game does not require any registry to run, it'll work the same as WoW, most likely. The game installation is currently 20Gig (19,8)
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-12-20 at 02:42 PM.

From looking at the client I still have installed, it seems you would be able to. The only thing I would worry about is the read/write performance across the USB interface.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    From looking at the client I still have installed, it seems you would be able to. The only thing I would worry about is the read/write performance across the USB interface.
    It won't be any worse than read/write times he currently experiences in WoW.

Just curious - what kind of WoW performance do you get doing that? I would assume it would be quite slow, but I could be wrong.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    I would like to add that you can play many games (PS3 and XBox) from a DVD, which has a maximum transference speed of 16.5MBps while USB2.0 is 60 MBps. Load times are no worse than on a console game (which isn't installed onto the hard drive)