Processor + thermal paste

Hey all, I recently just ordered parts to build a CPU for the first time.

My question is does the processor(i5 2500 3.3ghz) come with it pasted? Even if it's "crappy" by standard is it sufficient enough?

as far as I know all stock coolers from intel come with paste on them, mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankercow View Post
    as far as I know all stock coolers from intel come with paste on them, mine did.
    thats good to hear. I ordered the parts then had a heart attack and realized I forgot to add paste to the order.. if all else fails guess I can just pick some up from a computer store i guess

Boxed i5-2500K comes with Intel's decent heatsink that has the stock thermal pads on it. It's nothing spectacular, but will keep the computer 100% stable unless you run the computer in a place with very high ambient temperature.

Or unless you bought OEM/tray version of the CPU that does not come with the heatsink.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Boxed i5-2500K comes with Intel's decent heatsink that has the stock thermal pads on it. It's nothing spectacular, but will keep the computer 100% stable unless you run the computer in a place with very high ambient temperature.

Or unless you bought OEM/tray version of the CPU that does not come with the heatsink.
    wasn't the 2500k, just the 2500

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's always beter to buy the best available paste.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    No point unless you're overclocking or try to run the computer in a room with 40C ambient temperature all year. Stock coolers will handle multiplier locked processors just fine.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Why would you buy the 2500 and not the 2500k? You will regret it later on down the line when you want more performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    if you aren't overclocking it's not a big deal at all. a computer I built for some one is stock with no OC and she runs perfect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Why would you buy the 2500 and not the 2500k? You will regret it later on down the line when you want more performance.
    I bought a 2500k and I will most likely never overclock it's just too risky for me. If I could go back and get the locked I would.

There is virtually 0 risk. It is one simple number change, there is even software that does it for you. You have to try to actually damage anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    There is virtually 0 risk. It is one simple number change, there is even software that does it for you. You have to try to actually damage anything.
    Some play do not need that kind of power, I mean 3.3ghz is fine for the average person, even while playing video games. Even though it is easy to do does not mean it is not risk-free, sometimes the software is way worse then doing it yourself.

I think it should come with thermal paste, but with my 2500k, I really did not even check to see if it had any because I had some coolmaster thermal paste, I might go check on it now..

Edit: I checked my box, could not find it. But I probably put it on the side or threw it away, on the box it said it came with it, was a i2500k.
    Last edited by apepi; 2011-12-21 at 05:40 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I literally JUST built my comp and yes, it does come pre-pasted.
    Being constructive feels good. You should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Some play do not need that kind of power, I mean 3.3ghz is fine for the average person, even while playing video games. Even though it is easy to do does not mean it is not risk-free, sometimes the software is way worse then doing it yourself.
    There's about 10 threads on this forum every week where the OP is complaining about crap framerate on a four year old computer. Overclocking is one way to boost such hardware for absolutely free. You might think now you wont ever do it, but 3-4 years from now you probably will.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    There's about 10 threads on this forum every week where the OP is complaining about crap framerate on a four year old computer. Overclocking is one way to boost such hardware for absolutely free. You might think now you wont ever do it, but 3-4 years from now you probably will.
    I can't speak for everyone but for me personally the standard i5 2500 is perfect for me at this moment. I got it as part of a bundle if i got some other items with it.. so I basically end up spending about 100 bucks for the processor. That will hold me over for 4 years then I can just upgrade to a better one .

I think 100 dollars for a 4-5 year use is pretty good imo, but that's just me.