Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I really enjoyed playing and watching 3s/5s arena in BC and WotlK. Cata has been a failure though that's true. High hopes for GW2
    To be fair, WoW arena's were never really "big time", and they were usually looked upon by the competitive gaming community as a joke. I mean, you go from mirror matches in BC that would last for full duration (resto druid/disc priest/rogue mirror match for 36m...) to full duration matches in LK because teams were too afraid to engage for fear of being globaled. Since WoW wasn't developed with competitive arena's in mind, it's been difficult for them to try and turn them into an e-sport (though they've spent a helluva lot of time and money doing so).

In GW2's favor, they seem to be developing with serious competitive play in mind. That bodes well for them because they will (hopefully) have systems in place to help them balance the game properly for competitive play (tweak ability functionality ect.).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having GVG'd in iQ back in the glory-days of GW1 and attained rank 13, I can say that there is quite a chance that GW2, if more polished than GW1 (hard to picture, yes, but it can be done), could very easily be on keel with Starcraft and DOTA, if not even better. Hell, it WAS on par with Starcraft and DOTA.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    Dota itself is a mimic of wow arenas
    You do know that DotA predates WoW, rights? If there was any mimicry going on (not saying that there is) it would be the other way around.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

dota does not predate wow, Warcraft 3 predates wow. The dota custom user map(or UMS map, as any experienced Warcraft 3 player would know) was created after wow arenas came out, i.e. sometime after BC, i.e. years after Warcraft 3 was released. And when I said it was "created", I mean it took a hero wars map and added different items in the shops and added some NPC allies for both teams. It then made a wild and amusing claim which was laughed upon by most veteran UMS players, announcing that it was a balanced map based on skill and competitive team play. Then the wow arena players discovered Warcraft 3 for the first time and thought that Warcraft 3 = dota. And we all know the tragedy that ensued afterwards.
    Last edited by ragnarokvr1; 2011-12-22 at 02:20 PM.

If it is TB will be on our side I guarantee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    If it is TB will be on our side I guarantee.
    TB is not really an e-sports commentator. Would much rather have Wheat,day9 or husky on gw commentating e-sports.

Will be fun to see TB do videos on GW2 though
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    dota does not predate wow, Warcraft 3 predates wow. The dota custom user map(or UMS map, as any experienced Warcraft 3 player would know) was created after wow arenas came out, i.e. sometime after BC, i.e. years after Warcraft 3 was released. And when I said it was "created", I mean it took a hero wars map and added different items in the shops and added some NPC allies for both teams. It then made a wild and amusing claim which was laughed upon by most veteran UMS players, announcing that it was a balanced map based on skill and competitive team play. Then the wow arena players discovered Warcraft 3 for the first time and thought that Warcraft 3 = dota. And we all know the tragedy that ensued afterwards.
    The first version of DotA was released in 2003, 4 years before BC...
    Citation
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2011-12-22 at 10:25 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

i'm pretty sure i've played DOTA if not at least during vanilla, probably before wow came out so yeah, wow arenas certainly weren't anywhere to be found at that time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    TB is not really an e-sports commentator. Would much rather have Wheat,day9 or husky on gw commentating e-sports.

Will be fun to see TB do videos on GW2 though
    Wheat did commentate GW2 already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqP1LYXTfM