Thread: How is healing

How is healing

Want to see what some of the impressions on healing and healing classes?

Played a priest in WOW since right after launch

Deleted
    Playing a sage healer, currently almost level 30. Mostly pretty easy, but if your tank is your WoW friend who's used to you healing on a hugely overgeared max level character, there are times when it can get interesting. You have the tools to get through almost anything though, depending on if you can use them.

I'm not playing a healer, I'm actually a dps Operative but in groups I'm often stopping my dmg skills to pop heals on everyone.

Op healing is pretty straight forward but you're proccing a bugg that gives a bonus healing an dmg effect (at mid 20's it's proabbly +2~4% per stack and stacks to two, but that buff is used to activate some of the bigger heals that are quicker to cast. Can't comment further as I'm not to familiar with the talent tree.

Operative healer here lvl 26, i can say that its really hard managing energy since it takes 30 for each heal and the faster you use it the slower it regens so its hard in fast time to get the tank up from nothing

but im loving it its actually challenging again. reminds me of vanilla wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Its interesting to go back to healing without mods to give you a hand. It hasn't been overwhelming, Im only lvl 20 as a Soth Sorc and I don't have to many healing spells to deal. I'm curious if ill get overwhelmed later on?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a level 18 Sage, and so far, while I find it fun, it gets really frustrating at times.

Firstly, you only ever have a 500 Force pool, or 600 if you take the talents for it. Unlike WoW, this pool doesn't go up or down depending on your gear. (Can a higher level player confirm the opposite?)

This means you can't just spam heal and be done with it. Unfortunately, lots of people who come from WoW are used to that sort of gameplay, and make it really hard on us healers. I've done several groups where people who think they're the tank decide to go off on their own, die, and blame me for not healing them. I'm out of force (mana) from keeping the tank alive who decided to chain pull multiple elites. It's definitely a learning process, to be sure.

The other issue I have is that our heals just don't really do a whole lot for what they cost. Some mobs can hit your tank for more per second than you can dish out even with your biggest healing spell. Which, btw, takes 3 seconds (2.5 talented) to cast. In that time, your tank has taken, we'll say 1200 damage, and you only healed around 500-700 of it. It's like fighting an uphill battle.

I think one of the absolute biggest helps to healing in this game is, dare I say it, CC. Consulars at least have a 1 minute 'sheep' spell, not sure about other classes. But it gets really annoying when I 'sheep' something, and someone either immediately AoEs it or straight up attacks it.

All that being said, I've never wiped. There have been deaths, lots of close calls, but no wipes. It just takes a bit of learning and practice, especially if you're coming from WoW.

I play a level 20 BH Mercenary.... healing is fairly easy *if* you have a competent group that lets just the tank have arrgo, if your in a group with 3 other morons, its a different story.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotemplar View Post
    Operative healer here lvl 26, i can say that its really hard managing energy since it takes 30 for each heal and the faster you use it the slower it regens so its hard in fast time to get the tank up from nothing

but im loving it its actually challenging again. reminds me of vanilla wow
    yes I am a level 30 operative healer and can say this. Basically resource manamgment is everything. Keeping 2 stacks of kolto probe up, regenning energy with diagnostic scan and once your 80% full or so you can fire off one of your cast 30 energy heals or so. It gets challenging once you need to heal everyone though. Allot of triage for sure. knowing who needs healing fast and now, compared to the who can I just hot and they will heal up over time. It is doable but nowhere near as easy as it was in WoW. I enjoy it that much more. Even questing is a challenge at time. CC is a big part of questing, and should be a portion of instances as well. All in all healing is challenging but fun.

My Sage is at lvl 35 so far, and I love it. Heals like a Vanilla Holy Priest, with the familiar shield, big slow heal, small fast heal, rejuv HoT, dispel, etc.

Respec my commando to Combat Medic for flashpoint, lvl 25. Real fun cool abilities affecting other abilities shit, makes you think a bit, but I'm liking it a lot so far.

My Sawbones Scoundrel is at level 30 now and it's insanely fun because of the challenge it takes to constantly manage my Upper Hand stacks and my energy, also I feel like I'm taking pride in what I do since I think I'm the only other Sawbones I've seen.. ever. Bottomline: Very fun, but not for people who can't manage resources :P

Edit: Also had to add that I love the little robots that spawn when I HoT people and the giggling noices my character does when the HoT procs an Upper Hand stack haha, brilliant!

I've done a fair bit of merc healing. It's been fairly simple except that no one I group with seems to know how to tank well so I end up dying to healer aggro pretty frequently.

Deleted
    Im playing a Sith Inquis as a Sorcerer and healing is quite fun. I'm lvl 28 and i got about 4 Spells atm (Hot,Quickheal,Slowbigheal,Shield).

Resource-managing is the keyword in SW:ToR-Healing. When you are burnt empty , its like over.
    You cant spam quickheals or only big. As well as most of the spells have a little CD (3-6sec) so you cant spam shields or hots. Your Group must avoid AoE-Dmg or you simply cant outheal the dmg , cause your running dry.

Deleted
    So far I healed up to level 20 as a Scoundrel and up to level 30 as a Trooper, and I am quite enjoying it. Scoundrel I didn't really get to see the advanced mechanics, but with Trooper I am definitely getting to see all the underlying mechanics and routines you got going. I must say, I love the ammo system. Makes things much more interesting. You got to be incredibly careful about this though, definitely something new to learn. You only got a few ways to really recover it (One big cooldown, the other requires charges which you could get within a number of seconds but this could mean life or death in boss fights) and if you spam away you'll be left with an incredibly slow recover rate. It'll likely be a good way to tell the bad healers out from the good ones, when it comes to Trooper/BH or Smuggler/IA anyway.

But all in all, very enjoyable.
    Questing is surprisingly manageable as well thus far, as a fully dedicated Combat Medic.