Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Which self pity? I used me being overweight as a comparison (albeit a bad one). Don't start thinking you know me or something. Always makes me laugh when people try to get into my head.
    If you were only looking for a comparison you wouldn't have used yourself. You're hoping that you can somehow gain a few sympathy points by letting people know you're a fatty. You also hope that your thread will put weight (No pun intended) on smokers and coffee drinkers, and by extension making overweight slightly more acceptable.

Get on a treadmill and start a diet, then you're allowed to argue the health issues of others.

p.s. He didn't need to "try to get into" your head, the way you talk and behave pretty much opens a gateway into your skull. You can try to nervously laugh it off if you like, but I'm afraid it does you little good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochon View Post
    If you were only looking for a comparison you wouldn't have used yourself. You're hoping that you can somehow gain a few sympathy points by letting people know you're a fatty. You also hope that your thread will put weight (No pun intended) on smokers and coffee drinkers, and by extension making overweight slightly more acceptable.

Get on a treadmill and start a diet, then you're allowed to argue the health issues of others.

p.s. He didn't need to "try to get into" your head, the way you talk and behave pretty much opens a gateway into your skull. You can try to nervously laugh it off if you like, but I'm afraid it does you little good.
    Yeah yeah, keep talking like that. I still feel happy about myself and I really don't have any self-pity. Going psychiatrist mode on me is useless. And who said I wasn't exercising? Please don't come with this bs.

All this because I said I hate it when people smoke a lot?
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-12-22 at 02:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    Whenever someone smokes in my surroundings ( if it will affect me too) I start coughing loudly, like im choking.

Lots of fun watching their face turn purple
    "I always say 'shit, you're lucky you don't smoke. That's a hell of a cough you got there. I smoke all day and don't cough like that." - Bill Hicks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lajkko View Post
    "I always say 'shit, you're lucky you don't smoke. That's a hell of a cough you got there. I smoke all day and don't cough like that." - Bill Hicks.
    Hey i was gonna post that

Yeah yeah, keep talking like that. I still feel happy about myself and I really don't have any self-pity. Going psychiatrist mode on me is useless. And who said I wasn't exercising? Please don't come with this bs.

All this because I said I hate it when people smoke a lot?
    Not because of that, but because you chose to bring up the fact that you're overweight to score, as he said, sympathy points; and frankly he's making a lot of sense to me. Maybe you should listen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Not because of that, but because you chose to bring up the fact that you're overweight to score, as he said, sympathy points; and frankly he's making a lot of sense to me. Maybe you should listen.
    I really am not trying to do that, I can honestly and without a doubt tell you that I have no need for sympathy, nor Am I trying to get it here. Besides, I am getting fitter at a rapid pace atm, so really nothing to listen to.

I can understand it having come over like that though.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2011-12-22 at 03:19 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeire View Post
    My gran who has smoked since 12, drank coffee apparently up to 13times a day, eats a fry-up every morning the full works mind you! She has a 1/2 pint of home-made putcheen every day also.

Guess what she is 109 and full of life! the moral of the story, let people do whatever makes them happy! its nothing to do with you (and who knows they may even outlive you)
    The moral of the story is that anecdotal evidence can be found to support even the stupidest positions.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by trazan View Post
    actually those who drink coffe alot lives longer then if you drink 1 cup a week or something
    Very credible post.

EDIT: Bold. LOL
    Last edited by BLCalliente; 2011-12-22 at 04:04 PM.

Deleted
    I know no scientific facts about coffee being bad for health. Actually many studies show that coffee decreases possibility of several diseases. On the other hand smoking is proved beeing very bad for health, it still has some positive effects, but negative overweight them by far.

Seriously, aren't these people ruining themselves completely? They barely eat, they smoke all day. Coffee is like life force to them and they must ingest it in insane amounts each day...

Even me being overweight (not obese) but eating healthy am way healthier then them, are they trying to give themselves cancer or something?

Also talking doesn't help with these people, they are too far gone because of their nicotine and caffeine addictions.

Most of the time they are underweight too because they are not getting the right nutrients.

Your opinion on them?

PS: Not saying you can't smoke or drink coffee, just keep it real. And I don't hate them, stop making up things.

While I agree that too much is too much, and both substances are particularly harmful in large doses, I think you are overgeneralizing to an extent that makes your argument hard to follow.

"They barely eat, they smoke all day." Some of the heaviest smokers I have known in my life have also been the biggest eaters. Adversely, some people I know who stop eating during high stress times of year (say university exam time), also only smoke maybe 3 cigarettes in a day to keep themselves going.

"Even me being overweight (not obese) but eating healthy am way healthier then them, are they trying to give themselves cancer or something?" Probably not trying, probably not trying hard enough to avoid the risk. Did you know that being overweight (and ESPECIALLY consuming processed food or white sugar), not exercising are some of the biggest risk factors for cancer or any other disease?

"Also talking doesn't help with these people, they are too far gone because of their nicotine and caffeine addictions. " This is an addiction, not something the person usually has control over. The lack of control can also cause them to be self-conscious and feel weak. They may also not acknowledge the risks because life is incredibly painful for them if they do not get their fix.

"Most of the time they are underweight too because they are not getting the right nutrients." See first point. Also, weight is not a good judge of nutrition intake.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfrosty View Post
    Yes, we all die; but those who don't indulge in those habits are more likely to die significantly later and have a much higher overall quality of life/health.
    Some might say that people who avoid everything that is bad for them have a low quality of life already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    I know no scientific facts about coffee being bad for health. Actually many studies show that coffee decreases possibility of several diseases. On the other hand smoking is proved beeing very bad for health, it still has some positive effects, but negative overweight them by far.
    Good quality black coffee is good for you, I believe it is full of antioxidants. Its the amount people tend to drink, an the junk they put in it that makes it unhealthy. Smoking is a stress relief, one of the most important things in this day and age, but with the pricey bill on health and finances I would say it more than likely negates itself entirely, there are much more effective ways to reduce stress.

Deleted
    It's not the amount of years in your life that count, but the amount of life in your years.

Or something like that anyway. I'll quit smoking eventually though, just have to get that Tom Waits voice first.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coffee is beneficial piss off.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

I tend not to care what other people do... It makes life so much easier when everyone minds their own

My grandpa died a couple years ago from throat cancer caused by smoking and drinking beer for most of his life. I won't even consider picking up a cigarette anymore, and coffee doesn't taste good to me anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    I tend not to care what other people do... It makes life so much easier when everyone minds their own
    Do you know why "no smoking" areas exist? Because it seems that many smokers did certainly not care about what other people do or if they suffer from passive smoking, which can create health problems.

It didn't make life easier for us, the non-smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by nkrzx View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is quite in fact anecdotal evidence.
    Think what he is trying to say is not everyones bodies handle things to the same degree.
    For example a person who is raised on undercooked meat develops stronger immunities to the bacterias that would give most of us Diarrhea.

Nicotine and Caffeine on the other hand are merely external sources of stimulants that emulate stimulants that are naturally produced by the body.
    Their for the body compensates by producing less of the natural stimulants.

The downside however is that if these external sources are suddenly removed from the equation, the body go's into a panic as it scrambles to start producing the stimulants naturally once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    Do you know why "no smoking" areas exist? Because it seems that many smokers did certainly not care about what other people do or if they suffer from passive smoking, which can create health problems.

It didn't make life easier for us, the non-smokers.
    I don't smoke. That being said I disagree with laws requiring business to not allow smoking. It's a private area the government has no right to enforce. It honestly doesn't bother me if people smoke. Yes the smell is unpleasant, but sometimes peoples general odors are unpleasant there are no laws requiring people to smell good and as far as second hand smoke goes, I don't worry about that either. I would rather live my life fully than wonder what will give me cancer and other diseases. I've lost several friends that lived clean lives that died of cancer and other diseases under 35 years old. If your gonna die your gonna die. Why worry?

Deleted
    Th only thing that bothers me is when someone is gifted with a truly beautiful voice, and then they waste it away by smoking.

Truly sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    Th only thing that bothers me is when someone is gifted with a truly beautiful voice, and then they waste it away by smoking.

Truly sad.
    Smoking has no effect on voices.

Freddie Mercury was a chain smoker and had one of the best vocals ever

Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, James Hetfield, Madonna, Whitney Houston (before crack), Bob Dylan, Rihanna, Alicia Keys and countless others all say hello.

Not singing properly ruins your voice more than smoking
    Last edited by Donax; 2011-12-22 at 05:52 PM. Reason: adding more info