Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More than Five races at release?

I'm new to Guild Wars but very interested in GW2.

On the Guild Wars wiki under the GW2 information it says that there are five playable races "announced so far."

It states that the eight professions in GW2 "are:" (Elem, War, Ranger, etc.) Giving the impression that no more will be announced.

Is there any information that claims that Arenanet plans to introduce more races before the release, is this speculation, or speculation about future expansions?

More will be released in Expansions most likely. No new races at launch just the well balanced and designed five we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be 5 races at release.
    Fans have speculated on new races for future expansions, but ArenaNet hasn't commented on expansion content at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say dwarves could be a viable candidate for an expansion. They have a decent amount of lore that can be worked with. Technically they are a dying race but aren't humans as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I would say dwarves could be a viable candidate for an expansion. They have a decent amount of lore that can be worked with. Technically they are a dying race but aren't humans as well?
    Not gonna happen

Quoting myself from earlier today:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif
    I doubt they'll ever make Dwarves playable. This is from canon lore:
    The fight between the Dwarves and the Destroyers consumed the Dwarven race. Few lived to return to the surface and tell the tale of their victory—and those who did had been irrevocably altered. No longer made of flesh and bone, no blood pumped through their veins. Instead, they found their bodies composed entirely of stone surrounding nothing but cold, hard earth.

No longer interested in maintaining their solidarity as a race, these last Dwarves scattered across Tyria, finding battles to fight in the deep caverns or making new homes in far-flung hills, ever-watching the borders where caverns emerge into the surface world. Those few individuals who can rightfully claim to have met a Dwarf in their lifetime are rare, and all speak of the strange, driven passion that consumes these few survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's gone I guess. Trying to think of another sentient humanoid race that could be viable. They may have to pull a draenei and make a race out of the blue... no pun intended. Sure they originated from eredar... but transforming a demonic, magic consumed race into light humping, wiggly butt space goats still falls under "out of the blue" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Not gonna happen

Quoting myself from earlier today:
    i can see the dwarves coming back as part of a major change in the story. maybe the asurans invented a way to revert them. maybe some new underground race stumbled on them and changed them back. something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The frog guys COULD be viable, they're friendly right? Their anatomy is a little strange though. What's the name of the frog guys again?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's not Skritt I'll be fine.

Damn Skritt, they all must die!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    The only viable races I can think of would be the Tengu and the Kodan. They're humanoid enough to not be a pain to animate and design armor sets for.
    That's actually a pretty cool idea for a playable race. I've always wanted to be an arrakoa in WoW, these would be similar enough.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 07:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    As long as it's not Skritt I'll be fine.

Damn Skritt, they all must die!!!
    Yeah, I'll definitely be enjoying the death of those ugly rat bastards.

The Dwarves in the Shiverpeaks are gone, but it doesn't mean there aren't Dwarves elsewhere.

Kodan, Dwarves, Tengu, Naga (maybe), Frog Guys (maybe). Or maybe space sheep will crash their spaceship into Ascalon.

Deleted
    frog guys are called Hylek (Tyria) / Heket (Elona) and I hope they'll be in expansion, they are more fun than tengu which are just humans with bird helmets

Only playable races I would see happening will be the Dwarves (yes, comment all you want) and Tengu.

Kodan are too similar to the Norn and Naga/Centaurs are just not build to be playable races (and I'm not talking about 4 feet or whatever) it just doesn't fit.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 01:26 PM ----------

Oh yeah, Margonites.. I would love Margonites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Norn and Naga/Centaurs are just not build to be playable races (and I'm not talking about 4 feet or whatever) it just doesn't fit.
    To be honest Arenanet has taken so many risks and brought so many different things then normal MMOs that I don't think if they wanted, such a thing would stop them. 4 feet? well bracers on all legs and knee defenders. 1 tail? tail wrapping and a tail ring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where them dredge at?
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a new race per expansion, I think that'd be a good system, 1 new race, 1 new class per expansion.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a new race per expansion, I think that'd be a good system, 1 new race, 1 new class per expansion.
    maybe not PER expansion.. idk what we'd be getting for the crystal desert (if that is an EXPANSION and not just a patch)

For cantah we'd probably get tengu and ritualist, and for elona get hekket and dervish
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    maybe not PER expansion.. idk what we'd be getting for the crystal desert (if that is an EXPANSION and not just a patch)

For cantah we'd probably get tengu and ritualist, and for elona get hekket and dervish
    If they do plan to release expansions pretty often, then a new class and a new race per expansion will require a lot of balancing.. But I'm hoping for dervish some day too, man these are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    To be honest Arenanet has taken so many risks and brought so many different things then normal MMOs that I don't think if they wanted, such a thing would stop them. 4 feet? well bracers on all legs and knee defenders. 1 tail? tail wrapping and a tail ring.
    Like I said, It's not in the build because if there's a will, there's a way. I just don't see them fit as a capable good and interesting race, but that's just my perspective

However, if we can get Magical Flying Ponies as a race. I'm game.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Heket
    Just so my least favorite race isn't the asura.
    Looks-wise, I mean. The Asura are a plenty interesting race, I just hate their run animations and whatnot.