Page 1 of 2
LastLast

397 Tank Cloak vs 397 Caster DPS cloak for Tanks

So me and an (ex)friend got into an argument over which cloak is better for tanks. This argument ultimately ended our friendship coz he's an elitest asshole who thinks he knows it all coz he got carried through cata by transferring around to guilds who were already progressed.

Anyways,

The 397 tank cloak w/

186 Strength
    407 Stamina
    261 Parry
    127 Expertise

The 397 caster dps cloak w/
    251 Intellect
    406 Stamina
    173 Mastery
    166 Hit

Now my argument is that by reforging my 261 parry into 104 mastery, the tank cloak remains the better choice because I believe the mastery gain from going to the int cloak is not even remotely close to being worth losing 186 Strength, 157 Parry, and 127 Expertise. He on the other hand, is adamant that going with the int cloak and reforging the 166 hit into 66 Dodge is better. With the change to DS no longer refunding runes on missed death strikes, I feel that the expertise is worth keeping while he says I should reforge it into mastery (50). With my current reforges the way I think they should be done, I STILL have more parry than dodge w/o swordshattering, and would like my deathstrikes to not get parried nonstop so the runes are not wasted.

What is your guys' opinion on this. Which would you go with.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Why would a tank use a caster dps cloak? Besides, Intellect does nothing AT ALL for Dk's, and you cant reforge out of a primary stat.
    Last edited by jerryberry; 2011-12-22 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet there was a whole lotta stupid being said in that conversation.

I am a prot pally and I know this was brought up on MainTankadin. The tank one will be better for us as we do not need the mastery. I would think the advice would be the same as what they said for those that need mastery. Go get the PvP cloak that is str/mastery/resil. Get more mastery than either piece, more stam, and more str.
    Prot Paladin Since Opening the BC Box: Ophilil
    6/8 H DS

Quote Originally Posted by jerryberry View Post
    Why would a tank use a caster dps cloak?
    Actually in almost all cases for DK's the tank cloak has almost always been a cloak that didn't belong to us.

Tier 11, it was sinestra's int cloak; tier 12, it was rhyolith's agility cloak. T13's int cloak is good for tanks, but the argument he presented is that it is still better than the tank cloak, which I do not believe is true for once.

Deleted
    Well, the HC agility cloak was very good for tanks in Firelands. But it was a whole tier above the alternative AND it had 2 (more) sockets.
    Using the int cloak is just retarded - especially since tank DPS matters for DS HC encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by smashcrush View Post
    is this a troll
    not at all.

Not sure what exactly I find more sad, the fact that a caster DPS cloak is being considered, or the fact that you ended your friendship because of it. If it was of a much higher ilvl, maybe. The mastery MIGHT be worth it. But same ilvl? Not a chance.

As a DK int is worthless to you, now if your a tanking pally maybe I could see his point but for Dk's warriors and normal tanking palles the tank cloak is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinkinglord View Post
    As a DK int is worthless to you, now if your a tanking pally maybe I could see his point but for Dk's warriors and normal tanking palles the tank cloak is better.
    If I saw a Paladin Tank with it on, I would kick him out without thinking. rofl

10+ Year Old Account
    Str = Parry with Parry on the cloak.. reforge it to dodge or mastery.. but my god an int cloak????

Quote Originally Posted by Ophilil View Post
    I am a prot pally and I know this was brought up on MainTankadin. The tank one will be better for us as we do not need the mastery. I would think the advice would be the same as what they said for those that need mastery. Go get the PvP cloak that is str/mastery/resil. Get more mastery than either piece, more stam, and more str.
    That was also brought up in our convo but I still would rather the tank cloak because the pvp one has no socket or reforgeable secondary. With the tank cloak you can still have 144 mastery and keep the 157 parry and 127 expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    That was also brought up in our convo but I still would rather the tank cloak because the pvp one has no socket or reforgeable secondary. With the tank cloak you can still have 144 mastery and keep the 157 parry and 127 expertise.
    Yep. The PvP cloak is only last resource if you need to block cap. Im just saying its better than the int one (I would think)
    Prot Paladin Since Opening the BC Box: Ophilil
    6/8 H DS

What a silly conversation to end a friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    What a silly conversation to end a friendship.
    I agree. I thought of it as a friendly debate on gear and he blew up on me out of nowhere going on about how I'm an idiot, he was right, he was top 50 world dk entire xpac (he never broke top 100 lol), and all this other shit, then proceeded to remove me and put me on ignore.

Deleted
    Honestly, the intellect cloak is, in this case, not even close to the strength cloak, for Blood DKs. Now, for Prot Paladins or Warriors, where reaching the block-cap is near crucial (although not quite as challenging anymore), I can see it being useful in certain situations. The big chunk of Parry you lose by giving up the strength just isn't worth that amount of Mastery, for a DK.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    I agree. I thought of it as a friendly debate on gear and he blew up on me out of nowhere going on about how I'm an idiot, he was right, he was top 50 world dk entire xpac (he never broke top 100 lol), and all this other shit, then proceeded to remove me and put me on ignore.
    Wow, that is one elitist prick friend you had there. Even if he WAS top 50, it'd be extremely dickish to say that.

Although, then again, a good player probably wouldn't rage that hard and ignore you for arguing/discussing it with him to begin with. He was probably unsure and couldn't provide a solid reason for it to be superior, so he simply shoved his head in the sand like a scared child.
    Last edited by mmoc522dc42c8a; 2011-12-22 at 12:45 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    Str = Parry with Parry on the cloak.. reforge it to dodge or mastery.. but my god an int cloak????
    my main inst a dk, only my alt, but i find that mastery isnt really that superior for dk's at this ilvl anymore. I mean its still our best stat, but we get so huge ammount of mastery from all our gear that sacrifising alot of other stats to gain 100 mastery or smt seems ridikulos to me.

on my dk im at around 3600 mastery. i have the dodge exp ring from firelands, and i have the t13 back + only one trinket with mastery. At this point gaining more mastery seems like kind of a small gain, compared to what mastery was worth in t11 gear, so personally i dont mind using gear with parry dodge for some passive avoidance aswell.

if it was an int cloak with mastery and parry/dodge then ok:P but im sticking with the tank cloak. if u really want mastery, go for the pvp one imo.

i think your friend totally trolled you.
    either that or he shouldn't be playing a tank.
    REALLY? an INT cloak? come on.

don't go for the pvp one, don't go for the int one, use the tanking one..i still don't believe that this topic isn't a troll