Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Trying to play a Sniper in pvp ... seems unbelievably clunky

So I'm a level 15 Sniper trying to do some BG's but just can't get it too work at all.

Trying to cast anything has some weird delay on it, the animations just don't match the cast times. It will usually fire and do damage up to 1 sec after the cast bar ends.

Half of the time nothing happens at all, the cast bar will get to the end and just....nothing. The spell doesn't go on cooldown either but its 3 seconds I just spent casting for nothing.

tbh it seems like lag to me, but I have 37ms and nothing else is laggy, movement wise and instants all work fine.

Anyone else noticing this?

Preferences -> Controls -> Combat -> change Ability Action Queue from 0.5 to 0.0.

I've noticed this quite a bit aswell on my level 31 sniper.. occasionally ill cast ambush or snipe and nothing will happen. Also, i notice sometimes that my casts will randomly cancel, though I cannot tell why

Deleted
    Sometimes I get the castbar change to 'failed' whehn the enemy goes LOS or out of range, but other times it will just randomly stop lol. really annoying

changing action queue didn't really help, the biggest issue is the fact all my casts have an additional second cast time after the cast bar finishes. So I have to sit and guess when it's actually finished :S
    Last edited by mmocbd4889aa48; 2011-12-22 at 02:23 AM.

I am assuming you are doing this in warzones?

I noticed that sometimes warzones have server-side lag that isn't present elsewhere. Just played Alderaan 5 mins prior to shutdown and I had all the symptoms you're describing on my sorc.

I was lagging aswell a few minutes ago, before the servers went down when playing in a warzone
    Boomkin/Mage/Whatever in Fatsharkyes

I havent seem to had any of these issues, on my 23 sniper I LOVE warzones, Im usually 1st-2nd on damage, and its so much fun, but you honestly can not play the objective, find a high point, fire down on em, when they get to you use your cover explosion knock back, then leg shot, then debilitate (5 second stun) once they are in melee, knife, jump down bomb, and if they havent died... lol

The ability action queue makes a pretty big difference, I think. You have to set it to 0.0 seconds.

I couldn't be enjoying my Imperial Agent any more in combat. With the action queue set to 0.0, I can do things like throw a grenade, shoot them while closing the distance, shiv, debilitate, run through them, backstab, crouch, call down an explosive probe, and shiv them again to blow it up.

Before I changed this, I felt as if my abilities took forever to execute.

What does this action queuing setting do exactly? And how would it effect someone playing from Australia with 250ms latency?

needing cover to do more than piss in peoples direction makes the class clunky,
    but once set up you can deal alot of pain. I play the sniper the same way I play a Engie in Tf2. find a general area that will see some action, that is your zone. feel free to move around your zone, deply yourself in areas where you provde great damage for your team, but you also need an excape plan, stun, root, run if your atacked. staying around team mates can help you greatly when those pesky stealth classes take a shot at you.

you are great damage, great support and awesome at picking off people trying to run, but caught offguard most of the time you cant win without support.

Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    Sometimes I get the castbar change to 'failed' whenh the enemy goes LOS or out of range, but other times it will just randomly stop lol. really annoying
    Did you guys EVER consider a "Interrupt" ability? ) It's not only LoS or out of range, some times, you get CC from someone who knows his/her abilities. Or you could moved a bit.
    P.S. lvl 20 Sniper, encountered some lags using cover. Fixed it by stopping SPAM my hot-keys ) It's WoW with blasters and lightswords, but not entirely. We still know very little about Swtors mechanics.

And stop "its not working 'cos game is bad!" ("This boss is unkillable! Raid gets too much damage I OOM in 10 secs flat!" After first kill, when people knows how to avoid damage etc. "What a crappy boss, I will solo heal/tank him next pull". Sound familiar, no?)
    1-2 Weeks later we will learn how to play our class and avoid our enemy. DAMMIT. You are snipers after all!!! Where's your self-possession?

Same problems as some of you.....combat feels laggy (but isn't actual lag), casts randomly stopping/failing, casts not going off till a second or so after cast finishes, etc. Its usually fine in the world, but is REALLY bad in pvp.

Also, anyone else get really annoyed at natural cover? Can't even begin to count the times in pvp where I try to set up artificial cover when my char decides to leap 20 yards in another direction putting me out of LOS of the enemy I'm trying to shoot. Most of the times the green indicator doesn't even pop up.
    Last edited by Blizark; 2011-12-22 at 09:21 AM.

I've played a Sniper up to level 25 and what I've discovered in Warzones is something that some people might not like.

You have to play defensively. On defense, you are a God selecting which men shall live and which shall die. On offense, you'll get your ass hammered. It's the nature of a class that's so dependent on being stationary and in cover to get the big numbers. But when you can stay stationary damn do you get really big numbers.

Yeah, i noticed this as well. It seems that this happens even while questing if i'm trying to shoot something that's behind my cover. It starts the snipe/ambush animation, then it automatically cancels itself. On a positive note, it gives you a habit of setting a new cover so that you're facing it.

As far as pvp goes, sniper has its moments, and you can do very well in warzones if you're into topping the charts. However, you might want to have another pvp "main alt" that you can play with, preferably something mobile. It balances out though, and you get to appreciate each class all the more for that.

Also, imo sniper has a higher skill cap than most classes, if you really want to play to its fullest potential. It's one of those classes that you can completely own certain classes or even any class if you know what you're doing. Other classes like SW/JK or Trooper/BH can't do that, from what i see. Still, those other classes are such a blast to play and you will do well against most players. Sniper matters at high skill cap pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    I've played a Sniper up to level 25 and what I've discovered in Warzones is something that some people might not like.

You have to play defensively. On defense, you are a God selecting which men shall live and which shall die. On offense, you'll get your ass hammered. It's the nature of a class that's so dependent on being stationary and in cover to get the big numbers. But when you can stay stationary damn do you get really big numbers.
    Ya for sure. Sniper definitely plays a unique role. In the attacking/defending one you're generally the only class that doesn't want to be trying to bomb doors, and in huttsball you're generally not trying to run/be passed the ball. Instead you want to be in the back at a good location dishing out snares and picking off squishies. But I don't think anyones complaining about the playstyle, rather your actions quite literally feel lagged. This problem isn't limited to the sniper, but it is most noticeable on them due to lots of long casts.

I'm thinking its just server lag. Maybe bioware opened up the servers to the point where they can't run at 100%, causing issues that affect snipers more than the others. Out of curiosity, those who are experiencing this issue are you on a high pop or low pop server?
    Last edited by Blizark; 2011-12-22 at 10:27 AM.

This is why I rolled a melee class for release. The casting mechanics are ridiculously clunky.

It actually gets smoother with time. I have had all the problems described and yes it is a pain. What is really annoying is that there are some places you cant cover in. On ledges in Huttball, close to some walls. So damn annoying. Still am absolutely loving the class, it is almost CC central.

Deleted
    its due to the cast bar settings in preferences i had a similar thing on my sith caster, there is an option in the preferences to make it more responsive

Deleted
    I'll give the cast bar thing a try but I've noticed the same thing as other people, I'll click to do something, the bar will fill and nothing will happen.....

So I wait and sometimes a moment later it'll fire, or nothing will happen and I'll have to click again.

I don't think it's CC as these are mobs (not tried PVP yet) but even if it is I'd like a little more notice.

Deleted
    Ok so I just logged on today to test a little more and it's not just WF. I didn't really notice it questing before because it didn't matter I guess.

I really don't think it's just lag because it happens on every shot and seems like it's intended, my character also starts to aim as soon as I press the button, there is no delay in starting the shot.

The cast bar will fill up and my character will aim during it, THEN I start to shot which takes a another second to fire and do the damage basically giving every ability an additional second cast time.

I played a jedi knight in my weekend beta so didn't notice anything like this, I son't see how they can expect a caster to be playable like this lol

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 01:04 AM ----------

Something new, it only seems to happen for the first shot after I enter cover