Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

SWTOR - End Game Raiding

I am really curious as to what this will look like. Ive been playing wow since launch, play to raid, love the raiding scene and all it entails.

Have been curious about SWTOR but have not tried/purchased for fear ill get to end game, the raiding will suck and it will be a massive waste of time (for me anyway). Anyone have thoughts/knowledge and what it will be like? I am really curious. It's all about the raiding....what sort of info is there about it?

---------- Post added 2011-12-24 at 07:51 AM ----------

Oh and forgot to add, will there a raid like class set up? So I can tank? I run all 4 tank classes now so that is also important. Love tanking.

There are 2 end game raids with each having 3 lvls of difficulty (I think Normal, Heroic and Nightmare) I'm not sure how it is cause I didn't play beta or anything but it's certainly ahead of WoW when WoW was first released..

Well hopefully some people can post some good information on the raiding scene

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I am really curious as to what this will look like. Ive been playing wow since launch, play to raid, love the raiding scene and all it entails.

Have been curious about SWTOR but have not tried/purchased for fear ill get to end game, the raiding will suck and it will be a massive waste of time (for me anyway). Anyone have thoughts/knowledge and what it will be like? I am really curious. It's all about the raiding....what sort of info is there about it?

---------- Post added 2011-12-24 at 07:51 AM ----------

Oh and forgot to add, will there a raid like class set up? So I can tank? I run all 4 tank classes now so that is also important. Love tanking.
    First thing to keep in mind is that this game has been out for what...4 days officially. As stated their are 2 raids (Operations) out now. One with 5 bosses and the other with 1. BioWare announced today that they will actually roll out their first content patch in January/February to add 3 more bosses to the one with only 1. So if we wanted to take the new Blizzard/WoW train of thought on this...9 bosses total with 3 levels of difficulties will give 27 encounters. Even if we just count bosses or raids available, it is still ahead of where WoW was at this point. Not that we can really compare, but honestly the main focus for the game's release is the leveling experience which is quite addictive forming your own storyline.

They have said they will add more content to this tier for a bit and add in another one. So expect things to continue to grow. Remember, WOW didn't come out with raids everywhere...they were deployed slowly over time. BC I think is the only time they really put it all out there with 5 (I think) different raids released at launch.

You'll probably see more details on the Operations in the next couple of weeks as people get max level (those that bypassed the social aspect of leveling or gamed the PvP system are already there). To your second part, yes the typical raiding trinity of Tank, Healer, and DPS exists. For tanking you'll have a choice between the class melee tank and also a mid ranged tank. Then of course your healers and several forms of DPS. Remember when picking your class you start out with a generic character. At around level 10 you'll have to pick your Advanced Class. This is essentially going into WoW and picking your class, SWTOR just gives you 10 levels first to decide what you want to do. Each Prime Class has two Advanced Classes and these typically give you one Support Role, one DPS role, and one shared DPS role. So like Sith Inquisitor, a Prime Class, you decide you want to heal and range DPS...you pick the Sorcerer Advanced Class. You now have your classic 3 talent trees to spec into and decide what you want to be. You cannot go back and change your Advanced Class. That would be like asking to changed your WOW Shaman into a Paladin. It doesn't work that way.

Plenty of resources on the SWTOR forums in the class sections.

Quote Originally Posted by atrixx View Post
    First thing to keep in mind is that this game has been out for what...4 days officially. As stated their are 2 raids (Operations) out now. One with 5 bosses and the other with 1. BioWare announced today that they will actually roll out their first content patch in January/February to add 3 more bosses to the one with only 1. So if we wanted to take the new Blizzard/WoW train of thought on this...9 bosses total with 3 levels of difficulties will give 27 encounters. Even if we just count bosses or raids available, it is still ahead of where WoW was at this point.
    Nothing against SW:ToR, but imho it's better to leave comparisons to WoW behind. For example, i expect people saying that "9x3 bosses is still only 9 bosses, different difficulties don't count as content".

Anyway, i'm really curious too. The fact is that still i don't like much the SW theme, so i don't want to spend amoney on a game that probably will keep me on only for less than a month.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by atrixx View Post
    First thing to keep in mind is that this game has been out for what...4 days officially. As stated their are 2 raids (Operations) out now. One with 5 bosses and the other with 1. BioWare announced today that they will actually roll out their first content patch in January/February to add 3 more bosses to the one with only 1. So if we wanted to take the new Blizzard/WoW train of thought on this...9 bosses total with 3 levels of difficulties will give 27 encounters. Even if we just count bosses or raids available, it is still ahead of where WoW was at this point. Not that we can really compare, but honestly the main focus for the game's release is the leveling experience which is quite addictive forming your own storyline.

They have said they will add more content to this tier for a bit and add in another one. So expect things to continue to grow. Remember, WOW didn't come out with raids everywhere...they were deployed slowly over time. BC I think is the only time they really put it all out there with 5 (I think) different raids released at launch.

You'll probably see more details on the Operations in the next couple of weeks as people get max level (those that bypassed the social aspect of leveling or gamed the PvP system are already there). To your second part, yes the typical raiding trinity of Tank, Healer, and DPS exists. For tanking you'll have a choice between the class melee tank and also a mid ranged tank. Then of course your healers and several forms of DPS. Remember when picking your class you start out with a generic character. At around level 10 you'll have to pick your Advanced Class. This is essentially going into WoW and picking your class, SWTOR just gives you 10 levels first to decide what you want to do. Each Prime Class has two Advanced Classes and these typically give you one Support Role, one DPS role, and one shared DPS role. So like Sith Inquisitor, a Prime Class, you decide you want to heal and range DPS...you pick the Sorcerer Advanced Class. You now have your classic 3 talent trees to spec into and decide what you want to be. You cannot go back and change your Advanced Class. That would be like asking to changed your WOW Shaman into a Paladin. It doesn't work that way.

Plenty of resources on the SWTOR forums in the class sections.
    Thank you very much for posting that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Nothing against SW:ToR, but imho it's better to leave comparisons to WoW behind. For example, i expect people saying that "9x3 bosses is still only 9 bosses, different difficulties don't count as content".

Anyway, i'm really curious too. The fact is that still i don't like much the SW theme, so i don't want to spend amoney on a game that probably will keep me on only for less than a month.
    well would you just play the dungon finder on wow?

same here i guess depends your play style

Maybe we will get info soon on actually how well raiding will or will not work

Grogo
    Maybe we will get info soon on actually how well raiding will or will not work
    8 and 16 player share a lock out it is like wow same quality gear just more with 16

Normal mode has as separate lock out from Hard/Nightmare

1 week lock outs per raid you are saved to the whole instance not per boss.

Ideal raid comp from the raid beta program was

8 man
    2 tank 2 healers 4 dPS

16man
    3 tank 5 healers 8 dps (some required 6 heals and 2 tanks)

My impression was compared to wow it was a lot like TBC 25mans before the nerf bats to them I played wow since vanilla all the way up to heroic raggy in FL. The enrage timers are very very very strict everyone really needs to pull there weight.

But it is very fun also each boss has a unique enrage animation for killing you which I though was neat IE one boss drops a nuke on the room another calls in a giant droid to kill you. its not just oh look I enrage here I hit you and you die.
    Last edited by Domenik; 2011-12-24 at 05:58 PM.
    (█████████████████████ΞΞ██ΞΞΞ██ΞΞ█████████████████████)
    Ghost -- Jedi Consular -- Shadow -- Infiltration 8/31/2
    {Scheduled Raids | Organized PVP | Community Oriented | Helpful to one another | Team Speak provided | Website}
    Why wait Join today! still recruting!

Deleted
    Is anything known about heroic and nightmare difficulties? Is it gonna be same fights but boss will just hit harder or we re gonna get additional abilities / adds / mechanics?

Quote Originally Posted by Domenik View Post
    8 and 16 player share a lock out it is like wow same quality gear just more with 16

Normal mode has as separate lock out from Hard/Nightmare

1 week lock outs per raid you are saved to the whole instance not per boss.

Ideal raid comp from the raid beta program was

8 man
    2 tank 2 healers 4 dPS

16man
    3 tank 5 healers 8 dps (some required 6 heals and 2 tanks)

My impression was compared to wow it was a lot like TBC 25mans before the nerf bats to them I played wow since vanilla all the way up to heroic raggy in FL. The enrage timers are very very very strict everyone really needs to pull there weight.

But it is very fun also each boss has a unique enrage animation for killing you which I though was neat IE one boss drops a nuke on the room another calls in a giant droid to kill you. its not just oh look I enrage here I hit you and you die.
    But how do you know if everyone is pulling their own weight? No recount..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome a top world guild has top world kills in an MMO. This is just as expected as an entire raid in other games being cleared in a week. Plus, what are the lock outs? Weekly? Daily?

Edit:
    Because people get upset, I should note that the question about the lock outs was pure sarcasm. Thanks.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-24 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Awesome a top world guild has top world kills in an MMO. This is just as expected as an entire raid in other games being cleared in a week. Plus, what are the lock outs? Weekly? Daily?
    Leveling from 1 - 50 and beating the Nightmare mode in a week is interesting in that it says that almost no gear is needed to beat the hardest content.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rofltroll View Post
    But how do you know if everyone is pulling their own weight? No recount..
    If you guys clear the instance, who freaking cares? ZOMG WE CARRIED SOMEONE. Herp derp. You raiders are such a silly bunch.

If a guild beat the hardest bosses in just 10 days then the game won't survive. Wow got were it was today by having hard as shit content.One boss in vanilla and tbc took weeks to kill. This game looked promising but if the hardest content can be cleared this close to release , then the game has no chance of surviving.

Mind you this is going by the same logic people use when they link wows "decline" to easier bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    If you guys clear the instance, who freaking cares? ZOMG WE CARRIED SOMEONE. Herp derp. You raiders are such a silly bunch.
    What about when you aren't clearing the instance? In progressions? And you are hitting the enrage timer over and over? Think about that much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

Im not playing it atm, but I did play the beta a bit. And Id say lvling up a char in SWtor alone is worth giving it a try
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    This applies with WoW as well.

Meh...
    Didn't expected that...