Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do Americans really believe Catholics are not Christians and vice versa?

After 14 years living in the states one of the most asinine things I've come across has been the belief that Catholicism is a separate religion from Christianity (LOL). I've heard this from quite a few "educated" people, which is why I'm posing this question. I'd like to hear some opinions on this, to perhaps renew my faith in people...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mormon's aren't Christians either according to many Christians. This is why Romney's having a hard run for the republican nomination.

Which is bullshit. If you believe that Jesus is divine and the Son of God, then you're a Christian. The rest is semantics.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    After 14 years living in the states one of the most asinine things I've come across has been the belief that Catholicism is a separate religion from Christianity (LOL). I've heard this from quite a few "educated" people, which is why I'm posing this question. I'd like to hear some opinions on this, to perhaps renew my faith in people...
    We do seem to lean more towards Protestant, but I've never gotten the feeling that Catholics weren't considered "Christian" here.

Mormons on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Mormon's aren't Christians either according to many Christians. This is why Romney's having a hard run for the republican nomination.

Which is bullshit. If you believe that Jesus is divine and the Son of God, then you're a Christian. The rest is semantics.
    I think it comes down to the fact that Catholics/Protestants/etc disagree on interpretation, while the Mormons just went ahead and wrote up a whole new set of books.

10+ Year Old Account
    some also believe that Jehovah's witnesses are not Christians either. not bashing religious people as a whole, but some are so fanatical that they can't see outside their box.

Deleted
    catholic people usually segregate themselves from the nutjob "American christians" not the other way around
    catholics are usually a lot more rational and progressive than "christians"

If you believe that there's any single opinion that every single American shares, they're not the ignorant ones here.

Well to me it's a sect of christianity but that being said It does have certain teachings that aren't christian teachings.

The Catholic church says that only the church can forgive whereas Christians believe only god can
    The Catholic church says the pope is infallible where Christians believe only god is

So I could see how people could think that they are separate religions. But if you want to get technical Islam is just another sect of Judaism as is Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

What this guy said. When I was a holy roller A LONG TIME AGO, there was a deep resentment towards Catholics, and visa versa. I'm sure it still exists as you've noticed. I've since distanced myself from any church affiliation and realized the follies of my youthful interpretation of God/church, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    If you believe that there's any single opinion that every single American shares, they're not the ignorant ones here.
    Obviously if I thought everyone shared a single opinion I wouldn't have bothered to pose the quesiton, smart ass.

Both are just as clueless bunch of people, who cares?

Deleted
    The only reason Catholics put those things forward Donax, was to acertain their power in the society. It might appear central but try to consider it like a perk of Catholicism and not what it is about.

Also, since when are Jehobah's witnesses considered Christians? They re virtually a different religion for me, at least the way they go around here.

One of the most asinine things I've seen is people who hear something then assume the rest of the country holds that same belief.

Catholics are Christians. Some Christians are Catholics. Many Christians have this arrogant and annoying tendency to think that if you don't believe exactly what they believe you are evil. Those Christians claiming Catholics aren't Christians are typically of that flavor.

The blind faith, arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity of many Christians is what caused me to reevaluate my faith. I'm no longer a Christian, though I do believe there is a higher power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know were you're getting this idea. I have never heard anyone dare say something so stupid. This person is likely not an adult since saying something so stupid would certainly have people shunning you.

Having said that, Catholics don't like to call themselves christians because it is vague and means nothing, but that doesn't mean they aren't christian. They don't like to be clumped in with the snake worshipers. It doesn't really go any farther than that. I think you just misinterpreted the person. They probably meant that it is different from christians and they are not the same, but I doubt they said they are not christians.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-12-22 at 09:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstance View Post
    The only reason Catholics put those things forward Donax, was to acertain their power in the society. It might appear central but try to consider it like a perk of Catholicism and not what it is about.

Also, since when are Jehobah's witnesses considered Christians? They re virtually a different religion for me, at least the way they go around here.
    they believe and cherish the teachings of Christ. hence being Christians. i studied with them for 2 years, there isn't much different about them then many other Christians. the holiday thing is all about not celebrating anything that the bible didn't tell them to. If you look up where Christian holidays originated from you'd find their origins are from Pagan Celebrations. Jehovah's Witnesses recognize this and do not celebrate anything except the resurrection of Christ (similar to Easter but with out all the bunnies and eggs, since those are representations of the season of fertility which is a Pagan celebration)

Quote Originally Posted by Konstance View Post

Exactly, the Church was a corrupt entity, specially in the Middle Ages. That's part of the reason why some separated and formed the different Protestant religions.
    In the end a Catholic is as much a Christian as a Protestant or an Eastern Orthodox.

JW are on a different category. They will rather let a loved one die than give them a blood transfusion. That is just beyond fucked up if you ask me.

Deleted
    There's millions of American Catholics so the question doesn't really make sense. Whether evangelicals consider Catholics heretics and vice versa is a different matter, and you would have to ask individual church leaders to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    Well to me it's a sect of christianity but that being said It does have certain teachings that aren't christian teachings.

The Catholic church says that only the church can forgive whereas Christians believe only god can
    The Catholic church says the pope is infallible where Christians believe only god is

So I could see how people could think that they are separate religions. But if you want to get technical Islam is just another sect of Judaism as is Christianity
    Islam is the 2nd Xpac for the Judeochristian Faith. Judaism is vanilla, Christianity is TBC and Islam is WoTLK. WoTLK wasn't too well received by some of the community but I think with the world possibly heading towards CATA many people are beginning to appreciate some of the things WoTLK brought to the table. Some of it for sure controversial but with a little sense I think it's no secret to anybody that in each of the xpacs there were some things not everybody could agree with, but each of them brought fresh new ideas to the world that were helpful which will help get us through CATA, and perhaps then there will be another new xpac for world religion.

For no particular reason let's call this theoretical new religion "MoP". Perhaps this new religion will consolidate everything that came before it and once people give it a chance it will be a great new chapter for the world.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't look for sense and reason in religion.
    Catholic church, Orthodox church, Lutherian church etc. You'd think God would make a bit more sense if there was one.
    But people nitpick and choose whatever they think fits them and go with that.

---------- Post added 2011-12-22 at 10:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Islam is the 2nd Xpac for the Judeochristian Faith. Judaism is vanilla, Christianity is TBC and Islam is WoTLK. WoTLK wasn't too well received by some of the community but I think with the world possibly heading towards CATA many people are beginning to appreciate some of the things WoTLK brought to the table. Some of it for sure controversial but with a little sense I think it's no secret to anybody that in each of the xpacs there were some things not everybody could agree with, but each of them brought fresh new ideas to the world that were helpful which will help get us through CATA, and perhaps then there will be another new xpac for world religion.

For no particular reason let's call this theoretical new religion "MoP". Perhaps this new religion will consolidate everything that came before it and once people give it a chance it will be a great new chapter for the world.
    Terrible, terrible analogy about religions that have killed millions. Yeah they sure "brought something to the table" alright. Let's not have MORE but LESS.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2011-12-22 at 09:29 PM.

The whole catholics/mormons not being christian stems from Born-again evengelicals who think anyone who doesn't believe in their basic tenants isn't christian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Record length religious discussion thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy