Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

After playing SWTOR I won't be able to go back to WOW, will you?

Ok first off this isn't a wow bashing post. This is me simply stating my reason why i won't go back to playing like i did pre-SWTOR.

I played wow from the very first day. Gained commander rank in pvp. Raided most of the raids. So i like to think of myself as someone who has played wow enough to say i like the game. Have had some great memories and made some good friends.

But after playing SWTOR now for a week pretty much i decided to log back into wow to say hi to me guildies. Upon doing so i noticed something i didn't notice before. The game looks really old!!

You also realise how slow it is. Quests seem really iritating. You notice the grind more.
    But the main thing that i notice and makes me realise my time is over is that the game is too damn nice!! Obviously this is down in part to it's rating but you get what i mean.

From a sith point of view i am doing these quests, developing my character and i have to be honest and say i am one badass mofo. Any guards talk down to me and i will put them in their place. Any chance to go up the power ladder and i will take it no matter who i have to cross. Example there was a quest where you had to go look for a missng platoon. You find they have had their brains put in cyborgs. One of them begs you to help them. I send them all back to work for the Empire instead. These things make you feel so involved in the game. Sometimes you do actually feel a little bad about the choices you make.

In wow you have nothing like that. The lore has been corrupted so badly that even enemies are now friends. Thrall the leader of the Horde hanging around Alliance. Can you imagine the Emperor helping the Jedi? He would but then right after he would kill that jedi.

For me the best thing i liked about wow in terms of its story was Arthas. WOTLK was as dark as it got and at times it was excellent. The whole background to the story from WC3 added to the epicness of it.
    You cared about what happened as you knew it was a tragic story, you wondered how it was going to end. And in that final fight with Arthas it did.
    But since then the game and more importantly with Cata the game just died on its ass in that regards.

Oh look another dragon....again...no offence but dragons have been done to death in wow. It is hard to think or care about them when their personalities are so limited. You don't really get the feeling you know Deathwing or why he is doing what he is doing. The build up to the final battle was to simply re-use bosses and zones you had already killed. It would be like finding out the final level of Super Mario was the same as the first level.

These things in my view have made wow turn more into a "neutrual" game. By this i mean it is non offensive to everyone. It has no wish to be controversial or aggressive. While you might be involved in battling someone you won't be remembered for it. In the next expansion your just be some lowly char again having to grind the levels getting ordered around without having any say in what you do. Won't have a say in the tone of how you do it.
    The game does not care that technically in the lore of the game chances are you are now the biggest hero of all time and should have statutes, ships, halls etc named after you!

With Star Wars you get the feeling you are a small cog in the faction but one that is working their way up the ladder. Eventually your get a rank/title to match your effort. This title then changes the way the game interacts with you. People calling you "lord" gives you a sense of place in the world. In wow you get ordered around by complete nobodies. Why would you help this guy collect 10 fish? Does he not realise you could smash his face in?

So for me it is the whole "nice" thing that is holding back the game. With the expansion on the horizon that just sounds like it will be a lot worse. Going into the cute realms of "Pandas" and "Pokemon" is obviously a step towards a more child like audience. But having no end boss or guy to work towards is another case of it losing its "personality". It will simply be a case of "oh noes the Pandas are under attack from this elemental/dragon! Help us!".

After experiencing what i currently am in SWTOR i just can't go back to that.

WOW was great for it's day and naturally SWTOR will not be everyones type of game. It will appeal to a much smaller audience then what wow does.
    But the type of lore appeals to me. I get the sense the game remembers me and what i have done. In wow you hand in a quest after spending hours on it and 1 second later the game will have no clue who you are let alone what you did.

For me i play games because of the stories they tell. And right now SWTOR has a great story. But that is Bioware for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might be able to go back to WoW, yeah. Because for me it isn't a silly "one game or the other" type affair. I enjoy both games respectively and have the ability to appreciate the fine values of both games respectively, and therefore going back to WoW has as much value to me as going back to any other game I've played and enjoyed.

I don't see alternate MMOs as 'direct replacements'. I don't live with a black or white attitude whereby one thing has to directly replace another. I have a grey attitude; that is a mixed bag of the two. Obviously, paying two subscription fees is a massive dissuader, but if you ignore the fees then you can drop any immature ideas that by playing one MMO it automatically cancels the other out.

Heck, sub fees are a massive con these days anyway. Server maintenance costs may have been high back in the day, but nowadays the overheads for servers is ridiculously cheap. Sub fees still prey on people like us because we continue to pay them without questioning the merits of them; it's what we're used to. Some of us even have a silly delusion that sub fees automatically equal a better game with more development effort.
    Last edited by Will; 2011-12-22 at 04:02 PM.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I needed to get away from the madness of WoW. I still have an active sub, but SWTOR is exactly the game I needed.

I won't miss it nearly as much as I'll miss the cool people I played with.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

TL;DR. Just read title. That said, I'm smart enough to know that the combination of (1) it's too early in this game's life and (2) I want to see MoP Beta first, renders it unwise and probably not possible to make an informed decision just yet. All I've done so far is level. Leveling is a couple of weeks. Sustainability is what happens at max level. When I get there and see what's up, then I'll decide.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    my thought is that some day SWTOR will become like WoW today (im not bashing any of those games) i really like both games but i prefer SWTOR at the moment cus it is like WoW was when it launched what i mean by that is that i liked the slow lvling cus it let you explore the game and see what you like what you dont like.
    I really do like SWTOR but i will still play WoW. I only play WoW for pvp now i dont care about pve anymore. Like you said SWTOR wont be the type of game for everyone and i think you should give it a shot. I really like both games they have their pros and cons.

Deleted
    dont like wow anymore, to sad, no contents..

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I might be able to go back to WoW, yeah. Because for me it isn't a silly "one game or the other" type affair. I enjoy both games respectively and have the ability to appreciate the fine values of both games respectively, and therefore going back to WoW has as much value to me as going back to any other game I've played and enjoyed.

I don't see alternate MMOs as 'direct replacements'. I don't live with a black or white attitude whereby one thing has to directly replace another. I have a grey attitude; that is a mixed bag of the two. Obviously, paying two subscription fees is a massive dissuader, but if you ignore the fees then you can drop any immature ideas that by playing one MMO it automatically cancels the other out.

Heck, sub fees are a massive con these days anyway. Server maintenance costs may have been high back in the day, but nowadays the overheads for servers is ridiculously cheap. Sub fees still prey on people like us because we continue to pay them without questioning the merits of them; it's what we're used to. Some of us even have a silly delusion that sub fees automatically equal a better game with more development effort.
    I am not saying you can't enjoy more then one game. Far from it.

What i am saying is that this game makes the enjoyment of the other game less simply because of the lore/story/interactiveness/tone etc.

As i said that is my opinion. I love WOW and will login to say hellow to friends and guildies. But not having the options such as i mention above will make it very difficult to get back into.

Deleted
    I cannot play WoW any more.

SWTOR is just so much better than WoW that logging into WoW feels like playing Everquest or something, makes you log off immediately.

this game saved my gaming life. no more wow for me in the near future if ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love SWTOR, but I also probably will play wow every once in a while just for giggles. I'll also play GW2 a lot.

Amazing, isn't it?
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    I still love WoW and i'll still play it a lot.

TOR is just something else for me to play when i'm not raiding or PvPing in WoW.

Also, leveling is waaay more grindy in TOR imo. I've got no idea what you're talking about with WoW being grindy. At the higher levels, it takes much longer to level than in WoW. You pretty much HAVE to do the bonus quests to get enough xp in most areas. All of them are "Kill 15/20/25/5000 of x mob". It's essentially the same thing, WoW is just straight forward in telling you to farm mobs instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Revisit this opinion when you've played SWTOR for a month, and then again when you've been 50 for a week. Just saying, don't assume something is amazing in every way when you're only doing it for a week and it's still a breath of fresh air.

I've been playing since early access 3rd day (dec 15th) and I'm not bored with it yet, just for the record. I rerolled on the 20th on one of the new servers (Republic side on The Bastion, in case you were wondering. We need more people too) and I'm 25 and still not bored.

I'm just kind of worried about how level 50 gameplay will be, which is perfectly natural.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a friend who hit 50 2 days ago, at the moment he's leveling up another character since there are only like 3 50s on the server at the moment. It's hard to say whether or not the level 50 gameplay will hold people once they are there. We all know that's where the important stuff is and where Bioware really has to grab us in order to keep us paying.

I will admit though that based on Flashpoints such as Boarding Party, Foundry, and even Cademimu (spelling???) I have some pretty high hopes about what Bioware could throw at us come max level. Foundry was one of the most epic dungeon runs I've done in ages...this includes some raids in WoW even. Does it top ICC, Ulduar, or Dragon Soul in epic terms? No...but it's incredibly more epic than any dungeon in WoW at the moment and about half of the Cataclysm raids.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    me personally i dont plan to go back to wow until mop just to play the monk class a little to see how the mechanics for it work
    but i miss the friends i made on wow for sure as i left kinda abruptly
    like i played ega for swtor which happened to be when my sub for wow was running out
    i just never logged back in to let ne one but my closest buddies know how badass swtor was

Not a chance, been WoW free for about 1 year and have no regrets about my new drug of choice.

I go between WoW and ToR with ease. There are two games that have different visual styles. I enjoy both, no problem

10+ Year Old Account
    You and i have the same feelings sir. I dident play the beta swor, but this game amazing. i have liked shi fi from the day i was born. i was born 2 years before star wars hit the cinema. i remembred i saw the first star wars movie in middle if 80s. I Think the MMO gaming community needed a really good shi fi mmo game. This is it. When i played Rift at day one i had fun, but after 2 days i dident feel anything for rift anymore, but star wars is so awsome that i got to play it every day. For me now this days and the last year wow have been a game for kids, age 5 to 12 years old. But hey, i respect all players that like wow still. But i also say, try swor, it awsome.
    LOOKI

Until I see end game and absolutely can't decide.
    "Peace is a lie"

SWTOR broke my spacebar

Logged in to WoW last night for raid, and really wished I was playing SWTOR. However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop raiding. Not gonna lose my spot in raids until I see if SWTOR end-game will replace WoW end-game. For all I know it's KoTOR 3 and once I have completed all my story quests the game will be crap. I don't see this happening, but it could. So until I see that, I will stick with playing WoW on raid nights only and treating SWTOR as an off-night thing.